Latch hook (or other yarn craft for a 7 year old) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-26-2005, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When and what did your wee ones start yarning? My daughter has been wanting to learn some craft and had a little problem with crochet (I taught that to myself and am not that great yet so I probably was not the best teacher for her). We were at the craft store and she saw the latch hook kits and wanted to try that. She has been working on it for about an hour and has got over three rows done already and that includes the learning time. Any other suggestions that might be appropriate for her?

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-26-2005, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about weaving or knitting with one of those circular thingies (not circular needles, the hoops that you can knit tubes on)? I just got some regular needles to teach my 4 year old to knit. She wants to learn, so I figure we'll give it a whirl.

You may want to look into a crochet class at the local craft store or yarn store, too. Maybe a mother-daughter thing?
#3 of 8 Old 09-26-2005, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought of one of those but they were 11 dollars and that was without the yarn or the hook thing and the latch hook kit was only 7 complete. I want to get one of those round looms anyway because I (or she ) can make bun covers for her hair for ballet. I just did not have that much to spend today. I think that is a good idea. I will definately looking into a mom and me class; I think we would have so much fun!

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#4 of 8 Old 09-26-2005, 09:42 AM

My 6yo and I are working on a rag rug for their bedroom together- timeconsuming but fun, and it's a very similar technique to those latch hook kits. He likes weaving as well, but then my mum kept my (ancient) toy loom so the outlay was minimal- oddments of wool, that's all.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#5 of 8 Old 09-26-2005, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I used to enjoy sewing with yarm onto the plastic mesh. It's quite easy to do as the mesh is stiff and doesn't fray. You can get pre cut shapes, I've seen circles, hears, square etc which might make nice chritmas decorations.
#6 of 8 Old 09-26-2005, 02:22 PM

I think knitting is easier for little hands than crocheting- my 6 yo has had only frustration with crochet but has been knitting garter stitch scraves for a year now.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#7 of 8 Old 09-26-2005, 03:27 PM

Last year when my dd was newly 5 and ds was newly 7 I bought them those round hat looms. They loved those. I recently taught them to knit and they are now almost 6 and almost 8. Dd is flying with knitting and wants me to learn to crochet so I can teach her.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#8 of 8 Old 09-26-2005, 04:06 PM

my mom recently found my table top loom from when I was a kid- it was a pretty nice loom considering- I just wish it was wide enough to make baby blankets- I think it's only about 18" ... anyway- I have been weaving some scarves- and my son wanted to try his hand at it- and he is 7. So today I bought some red heart varigated chunky yarn and we did the warp up in a really pretty rainbow and he has been doing a fantastic job- I showed him to be careful with the tension so that he does not turn the cloth into an hourglass- and he has been so consistent with the edges!

Anyway- a loom may be expensive- but this one has proven to have a very long life! (25+ years and getting going on a new generation!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page