Anyone here try Poopocket pattern? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I realize that it is a one-size, but can it be easily reduced in order to make it a size that fits my 2 month old without folding the diaper down?

Also did you find the pattern easy to sew? Did you like the pattern? If not, what did you not like about it?

: : : : :
#2 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 11:35 PM

Interested to know too! I have sewn pockets from the Darling Diaper pattern (I love it!) but I am interested in the VB and PP patterns too. I can't imagine they would be better than the DD pattern.
#3 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Noone?
#4 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 04:49 AM

I have. I like them. They are very easy to sew. I reduced the pattern and made some newborn size with aplix closures - I wish I had extended the wings a bit though. I make the bigger version as it is in the pattern and it fit my ds until 30 lbs. It is a little wide in the crotch, but works great for holding in big messes.

I also like the free Mama bird pattern. Very easy to sew and fits my newborn great. I just thought that I would throw that one out to you in case you decide that you want to sew diapers with closures instead.
#5 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Oh wow!
Had I known about the free patterns ahead of time I may have skipped ordering one, but then again I would probably want to try them all.

My oldest dd is 19 and knows how to sew, but we are both learning more economical ways of diapering. This would have made a great home ech project when I was hsing her. I will have plenty for my 2 1/2 month old to do when she is old enough for home ech.
#6 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 11:36 AM

I know it's a diaper and all, but that is a really gross name...
#7 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 01:15 PM

it's a good pattern, the drafting is professional quality, and yes, you can reduce it or enlarge it, you can do that to any pattern.

the poopockets pattern has leg gussets which i have not seen on most free patterns but it is easy to draft your own for any ordinary pattern.

the instructions are clear, plus the additional information regarding fabric selection and alternate techniques is spot on.
#8 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenbean
I know it's a diaper and all, but that is a really gross name...
Agreed! :LOL
#9 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 11:29 PM

I've used it as well and it's pretty easy. You do have to fold the tops down a little for smaller babies, but it's really easy. I'm using them on my 3 month old now, and have been since she was about four weeks.

I would recommend it. The leg gussets are a little tricky, but not bad and they work great, especially if your baby has skinny legs.

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#10 of 16 Old 10-01-2005, 09:18 AM

I have made a few. They are a bit time consuming(ARGH leg gussets!!) The instructions are clear, it is a good pattern. I also have the Diaper Covers Deluxe from the same co. I did notice that the Poopocket does not really fit into the newborn size diaper cover that I made. You can convert to poopocket into an AIO, if interested. There is a website with instrctions..I think in the links section.
#11 of 16 Old 10-01-2005, 01:39 PM

I have this pattern as well and have been doing some experimenting with it. I definitely prefer how they look/function when they are turned & topstitched as opposed to serged on the outside (I do serge but just wrong sides together then T&T). It takes a little longer but I think it is worth it. My 18 lb DS has been wearing them for about a month and they fit great with just the front folded down. They hold blow-out poopies pretty well (the name is fitting LOL). I promise the gussets are not nearly as scary as they seem!! Actually after practicing this pattern I plan to put gussets in all my fitted dipes from now on.
#12 of 16 Old 10-01-2005, 03:22 PM

I love my poopockets
I think they are very easy to sew. The gussets are not bad. I have been usuing them for about three years.

There is a tiny poopockets pattern that you can get when you order the regular size. The tiny one fit up to around 10 pounds of baby. I used them when my dd was a newborn. I loved them!! I think the large ones would be way to big for a tiny one but around 12 pounds and up they would be great. But you do have to fold down.

I also have the diaper wrap pattern from the same company that I don't really like because I hate HATE velcro on diapers.

I also have the momma pads pattern from the same company and I love it!
#13 of 16 Old 10-01-2005, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!! I am so eager that I am itching for the pattern to arrive!!
#14 of 16 Old 10-02-2005, 12:11 AM

I made a few, but delivered early and didn't get to make as many as I had hoped. I agree that the ones that are turned look so much nicer, but serging is much easier. I ended up adjusting the pattern to have square ends because I can't serge the tiny rounded tabs. I also used velcro which I greatly regret because it just doesn't work at all. It makes a mess in the laundry and it doesn't stick as well as I thought it would. Some of the ones I made I used too many layers and they are nice for absorbsion, but take a long time to dry. When I have time to make some more I won't make them quite as thick.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#15 of 16 Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 PM

I have the pattern, but have only gotten as far as cutting out the pieces and putting together the gussets. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to talk with dh's aunt and see if I can use her serger or just t&t it all. I really haven't sewn much at all and I'm totally intimidated... I just need to finish the darn thing!!

This thread is giving me a bit of inspiration though

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#16 of 16 Old 10-04-2005, 08:55 AM

I have made about 10 of these now, but have not had my baby yet to try them out on. Serging is annoying, but looks good once done. I ended up sewing the gussets on and then serging all the way around, and this ended up with a much neater result, and much stronger seam. I will have to try turning, as I have not bothered with this yet. I have been making them with flannel inner, terry outer and terry soaker, and plan to snappy. Any way I thought of putting velcro on it seemed like it wouldn't work.

I also have the diaper cover pattern from the same company, and these seem huge when made up - easily big enough to fit over terry flats. I intend to use the cover pattern to make some sized fitteds and pockets, when I get around to it.

Finally, I have heard from many that these diapers don't fit newborns and the tiny pocket is the way to go. I intend to use the cover pattern to make some newborn sizes and also use terry flats for daytime changes (I have like 48!)

Cris
EDD 7/1/06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page