Fabric hunt--nylon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2005, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know where I can get nylon fabric like that used to make Alexis Feather-lites or the outside of a Re'Uz'M AIO or a cloth-eez cover?

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/...clotheezcovers

All of the home diaper sewing sites (OSDS etc) have PUL or wool or fleece but no nylon. Googling nylon has not helped much--I found one outdoor fabric site, but I was not sure from their descriptions what would be comparable to the above mentioned.

Thanks for any help!

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 03:37 AM

:
Old 10-12-2005, 03:42 AM

I'd like to know too. Does it work as well as PUL?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't tried the Alexis Feather-lites or the cloth-eez, but the Re'Uz'Ms ROCK! The material is very lightweight but I've never had a leak. So, yes. It works as well as PUL.

Marjorie
Old 10-12-2005, 11:36 PM

Wazoodle has a coated nylon. it's a bit crunchier/ more rustl-y than PUL but it's a reasonable price...

I wouldn't suggest their PUL. It's icky, I was really glad I bought a sample from them before I placed a large order.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:07 PM

Could you use regular rip-stop nylon? I have always wanted some aios made with that. Joann's carries every color of the rainbow, and it can be dried on hot without trouble.

Karin, mom to W (6.5) and wife to B.Babywearing Educator serving New England since 2005. NBPBWI-trained
Old 10-13-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvan
Could you use regular rip-stop nylon? I have always wanted some aios made with that. Joann's carries every color of the rainbow, and it can be dried on hot without trouble.
not unless it's labeled "waterproof". just because it's nylon doesn't mean it has a water resistant coating. my Joann's DOES carry a few coated nylons but they're all camoflage(sp?).
Old 10-13-2005, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth
I wouldn't suggest their PUL. It's icky, I was really glad I bought a sample from them before I placed a large order.
Did you try the Wazoodle PUL or the ProCare?

Marjorie
Old 10-14-2005, 12:33 AM

Both.

well, I got a yard of procare first and it's just awful compared to PUL... really stiff. I used some for a wetbag and will probably make the last bit into a waterproof pad. Think vinyl tablecloth and you won't be far off.

Wazoodle PUL is less horrible than procare but I would never buy it for diapers. I just got a sample of it (learned my lesson with the procare) It's not soft at all. I'm not sure what they're coating it with but when you stretch it a bit it looks like it partially separates from the backing and the backing gets puckery, like one part doesn't stretch as much as the other and so they seem to pull apart. It just feels and acts really different from 'real' PUL.

I got the sample in hopes of finding a Canadian supplier but it's just not worth it. I'd rather wait 3 weeks for stuff to make it over the border. The customs limit before you have to pay duty is $30 so if you keep your orders small you can't get hit too hard at customs (and some kind folks will use a name rather than a company name for the return address and mark your package as a gift with no commercial value which seemed to have worked quite well when I ordered from OSDS )

I also have a sample of the coated nylon and it looks quite reasonable. It's the same stuff that a lot of children's raincoats are made of. I also have used their dermoflex which is very easy to sew and has been holding up very well in my diapers. I get compression wicking with those if the diaper is SOAKED so not much of a problem really. The only problem with dermoflex is that the wrong side of the material is rough from where they spray on the stuff that makes it waterproof so it's a bit harder to slide inserts into them. It's really thin stuff though and I have been really happy with my diapers made from it.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AinNJ
not unless it's labeled "waterproof". just because it's nylon doesn't mean it has a water resistant coating. my Joann's DOES carry a few coated nylons but they're all camoflage(sp?).
Oh, yeah, I know that :LOL .

The Joann's here has literally a rainbow of coated nylon. It is very tempting

Karin, mom to W (6.5) and wife to B.Babywearing Educator serving New England since 2005. NBPBWI-trained
Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM

http://www.kidalog.net/product_info....oducts_id=1121

This is a Canadian company so the $9.95 is in Canadian funds. They only have it in white though and I haven't ever bought it (though I have been tempted

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
Old 10-14-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvan
The Joann's here has literally a rainbow of coated nylon. It is very tempting
Oooooo! If you try it please let us know how it works/holds up. I'd love to know. Sheesh, the things I get excited about. :LOL

User Tag List