Okay so imagine... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2005, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...you have $30 to spend on yarn (wool, intended for soakers/longies). What would you get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2005, 07:52 PM

I'd get 5 skeins of Bartlett 2-ply. Full of lanolin, wears like iron, beautiful colors. (I'd also call or email them and ask them if there's anything in their bargain box. That's where they throw short skeins or those that have a knot in them. They charge $4 a lb for the stuff there.)

That's just me, though.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:12 PM

I would either get some Marr Haven or Blackberry Ridge merino.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:32 PM

Well, would you rather end up with a couple of pairs of decent ones, or one pair made from FANTASTIC yarn?

You could use a cheaper wool, and get some decent pairs, or spend more and get butterific yarn that will last thru 3 kids, but end up with one pair.

Or somewhere in between?

KWIM?

~amey
Old 10-19-2005, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve
I would either get some Marr Haven or Blackberry Ridge merino.
Me, too.

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, would you rather end up with a couple of pairs of decent ones, or one pair made from FANTASTIC yarn?
Well.. my inclination would be to get the yummiest yarn possible, even if it meant I could only make him a waistband. *hehe* BUT, as I don't know when the next time we'll have "extra" money is, I might oughtta go with something a little less extravagant. Something still sturdy, but since my guy doesn't have picky skin, doesn't have to be quite as soft (though soft is alright too).
Old 10-20-2005, 03:50 AM

I know a lot of people hate the stuff, but Lion Brand Fishermen's wool is a good wool. Sturdy, little to no pilling. HOlds up very well over time, doesn't lose shape. Softens with wear and washing. Not great for heavy wetters, but you could double up in the wet zone by knitting with 2 strands or adding a doubler.

Otherwise, maybe find a peace fleece coop? Or some on the TP. It's a great, sturdy wool. If I were making pants for my almost 3 year old, they'd be peace fleece b/c it could hold up to his wear and tear and heavy wetting.

Targhee is pretty great, too. Super soft, not cheap though. I think there is some undyed at the mosaic moon yarn store on hyenacart, but haven't checked lately. Dashingdachs.com should have some soon, too.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:06 AM

There's a Peace Fleece co-op on right now. yarnhocoops on Yahoo.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 AM

Old 10-20-2005, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

*hehe* His current stash is all Fisherman's Wool and Peace Fleece. I could just stick to them, but ya know, the grass being greener and all that.. hehe..

Oh, I'm horrible at decisions. :LOL
Old 10-20-2005, 02:50 PM

well, I've never used peace fleece but I know I don't care for fishermans. One yarn I really really like (to knit with and to use) is plymouth outback. I can get it locally and it's pretty darn inexpensive. I pay $14 I think for an 8.75oz skein. That's enough to do a large pair of longies (10 inch inseam) and a hat. They have a few nice colorways to choose from. It washes well, wears well, and is the cheapest I could find in a pretty colorway.
Second on my list is cascade eco. It's about the same price. It pills a little more, is just plain ol brown/grey or a solid ivory color but it's fluffy and soft and not nearly as tickly and prickly as fishermans.

I haven't used all that many wools simply because I can't afford $30-$40 worth of wool for one pair of longies (sure wish I could!) and if I did, I'd panic every time my child wore them.

I keep wanting to try peace fleece, but I hear that it starts out not all that nice but ends up nice after lots of washing. I'm not sure I"m up to knitting with yarn that doesn't feel nice to knit with so I keep putting it off.

Seriously though.. try the outback yarn... I think you'll really like it.

amber
Old 10-20-2005, 04:47 PM

Oh yeah, I really like Plymouth Outback, too. It's soft and holds up well, minimal pilling. I'd use it more if it came in natural or at least solids.
I have a pair of pants in KnitPicks.com wool of the andes... very soft yarn. Good price,too.

Oh, and Eco. :LOL I forget about all these yarns when I don't use them often... but Eco is really nice stuff, too.
www.littleknits.com has it at a great price.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I keep wanting to try peace fleece, but I hear that it starts out not all that nice but ends up nice after lots of washing. I'm not sure I"m up to knitting with yarn that doesn't feel nice to knit with so I keep putting it off.
If you wash it before you knit with it, it's not that bad. It really is a nice wool, IMO, as long as the mohair doesn't bother you.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:33 PM

I might be in the minority, but I actually LOVE knitting with Peace Fleece. It doesn't feel rough to me, just nice and sturdy and earthy.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:40 PM

I would buy some of the newer farm yarn from LTK. Love that stuff. Sturdy, soft, and virtually pill free. Or some peace fleece(haven't tried it myself. Or, a BRM, though it is very stretchy and not my first ultimate choice, though I love it tooL)Or, Nada has some instock on Hyenacart.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I think I've decided I'm gonna grab a bunch of WOTA and a thing of Eco, and Bartlett and Outback will probably be on my Christmas list. *hehe*
Old 10-21-2005, 09:14 PM

guess I'm a little late here! I was going to suggest the WOTA if you were looking to get the biggest bang for your buck.

LTK yarns are great, too!

User Tag List