this forum needs a disclaimer... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2005, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
... you know, like alcohol and cigarettes have those little boxes with warnings and such?

Something like: Caution... viewing of this forum can cause overexcitedness about making diapers and beyond which can lead to compulsions to check out every diaper fabric shop out there, view material with an eye of whether it would make a good diaper or now, and lastly drain your paypal account.

I mean really, I *know* that cloth can be cheaper, but at the rate I'm going it's going to be a wash. Well, except that I'm going to use it on all subsequent children as well... but still!

I'm having way too much fun doing this. Maybe I'll call up my mom tonight to see if I can use her digital camera to snap some photos of all these diapers I claim to be making

At least now I'm funding my fabric, elastic, fleece, PUL, thread, snap, etc. purchases selling off my 'name-brand' diapers! I think it completely justifies spending the money ... now if I can only convince dh of the same...

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2005, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're too funny... but I totally agree. Cloth diapering is definitely NOT going to save me money! I just HAD to get an embroidery machine to embroider the butts, and I will probably HAVE to get a snap press sometime. Plus all the notions, and stabilizers for the embroidery, new patterns, I imagine that even when the kids have enough diapers I will keep making them because I will think of new ideas.
So I'll be stuck with too many embroidered diapers and I will not have saved a dime!!

It's ok... at least we aren't contributing to the landfill problem.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:19 PM

Oh... and if you're sewing them.... you definitely MUST share the pictures with us!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yeah, but eventually you're going to have a stash of embroidered diapers that have each been used about twice, and you'll be able to sell them.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 11-03-2005, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHatBrat
It's ok... at least we aren't contributing to the landfill problem.
Exactly my thoughts! Well, that's what I use to justify all of it (oh, I've got a lot of lines ready for justifying it all )!

Oh yeah... I have a snap press too... and now I need to order more snaps so I can have colors other than just white. But I"m going to have to sell off some more diapers to fund that purchase!

(an embroidery machine.... oh my does that sound lovely! and I want a serger too ... you know, since I may as well wish big!!)

So far, the best thing about making my own diapers has been: ... .. .... .. something to keep me busy at night! You know, with good ol' pregnancy-induced insomnia (due to various causes such as acid reflux, jumpy legs, etc) I've gotten quite a bit done in the wee hours of the morning! At least I'm doing something productive!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 11-03-2005, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I started out with a stash of 14 Fuzzi Bunz. I now have 5 left - have sold the others to fund diaper making supplies.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 11-03-2005, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh, dear. I have all these grand plans...I was just freecycled about six yards of beautiful wool...PERFECT for covers. I have a bunch of the softest knit in my fabric stash...perfect for diapers...I just need the aplix and the hemp fleece for inside the diapers. Oh, and the elastic for the legs, the gussets, and the back. And time. That's in short supply. I have spent stolen moments while my ds naps and dd watches her allotted one hour of the idiot box a day...I have to have a minute or two with dh. But, I figure that, while he's watching The Big Break IV, I can get at least one diaper or cover cut out and started...for a start. Oh, dear. Can't wait to get started!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 11-04-2005, 07:44 PM

To add to my addiction... I now have 4 yards of hemp french terry, 2 yards of sherpa, and 1 yard of velour... All waiting to be made into yummy cloth diapers. Unfortunately, I have to finish 2 Mei Tais I'm making for someone (I hate making them - all those long straps to press... yuck yuck yuck), and I've vowed to not rethread my sewing machine until I finish those. So I can't make diapers yet.

I also don't have my snap press ready to use yet, but that's in the works. My dad will drill holes in the arbor press as soon as I send him some dies. I should probably send him these industrial dies I have (anyone interested in them, let me know!), since the standard size dies I have coming to me soon are the same outside size (they're both OSDS).

Just think... 3 months ago, I was using Pampers Cruisers. Now I'm a cloth diaper making addict!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 11-04-2005, 07:53 PM

I'm addicted too.
It's definitely paying off for me.
My husband has been doing a ton of chores like dishes and cooking lately. He says it's because I'm a genius who can MAKE diapers that actaully work. (He doesn't know it's easy!) He thinks I'm just so nifty.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:49 PM

don't forget to add to the disclaimer something about how your already over-abundant diaper stash will multiply exponentially! Oh, and how you'll spend more time on the internet, talking to others who have the same addiction, so you can get more ideas, and need to make even more diapers. LOL

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
Old 11-05-2005, 12:12 AM

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 11-05-2005, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiswing
don't forget to add to the disclaimer something about how your already over-abundant diaper stash will multiply exponentially! Oh, and how you'll spend more time on the internet, talking to others who have the same addiction, so you can get more ideas, and need to make even more diapers. LOL
Yes! The time on the internet! I almost forgot about how much more time I'm spending hanging out in this forum (almost crazy-like... waiting for some new post to pop up so I can see if I can share any help -- you know, like enabling somebody else -- or if there is some great tip I can't wait to try out myself ... I still remember reading a post by JennInSeattle about using those clippy barrettes to hold together AIOs/covers with PUL so that you don't have to use pins. Pure genius. I've totally benefitted from that tip!!)

And, certainly talking with others who actually understand that making your own diapers Really Is Fun ... ah, that's priceless!

Old 11-07-2005, 01:38 AM

Even more caution is required when you realize that you're looking at sergers online as a possible thing to ask for for Christmas. I've just spent the last hour reading about them.

I was going to have a snap press be my Christmas present, but since I ended up going the cheaper makeshift snap press route (arbor press from Harbor Freight), and my dad paid for the arbor press, I now can ask for a serger for Christmas instead.

So who says making your own diapers is cheaper? Although I was thinking last night that I'd love to have a serger for finishing seams on the Mei Tais I was making (I'm just zig-zagging the edges and it is taking forever... and I keep having to refill the bobbin like 10 times). So I'd have use for a serger... Plus I might actually get around to making some clothes too.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:06 AM

My husband REALLY loves me. Scary thing? I casually mentioned how I could really use a Viking Serger, how it would REALLY make things go sooooo much more quickly...I never, ever expected to get one. There it was, under the tree. Oh. My. Goodness! It really DOES cut the time by at least a third. Just means I can spend more time on other aspects...

Old 11-07-2005, 11:09 AM

Nice hubby! When I mentioned I wanted a sewing machine, it ended up under the tree too. The big thing is telling him which sergers are ok to buy. So I'm coming up with a list of ones that are a decent price new and have been recommended by diaper makers, and also a list of ones that are way too expensive new but might be found at a decent price used.

He did ok picking out a sewing machine for me. It's a Singer from Sears, and I've had no problems with it (almost 5 years old). The only issue I have is that the bobbins have to be purchased from Sears. You can't get "Singer" bobbins somewhere else and still use them. They're shaped differently. And I've been lazy about getting them (I hate going to the mall). Maybe I should ask for those as a stocking stuffer?

Old 11-07-2005, 12:05 PM

Is it possible to get the bobbins on-line? I know what you mean about price shopping. I suggested that he might want to get the serger off of ebay, but instead he bought one new. Said that it's a dependable brand, and he'd rather get me a midline new one that he knows has a gaurantee than a top of the line used one that could end up being a lemon at our loss. Can't argue with that logic! Especially when one gets a serger out of the deal!

User Tag List