Wow, what should I get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-05-2005, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My MIL has offered to foot the bill for a large batch of diapers. What should I get?!?!?! She's pretty flexible for the amount.

I definitely want to try some new stuff, so what do you recommend? So far I've used mostly diaper flannel and birdseye pique for the insides of diapers, microsuede liners, mostly PUL covers, some recycled wool (definitely want some wool something) and hemp jersey or microfiber towels for soakers and doublers.

I'm overwhelmed! And excited!!!!

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#2 of 16 Old 11-05-2005, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I recently got some sherpa and velour. I can't wait to sew some diapers with them!

And of course, I can't stop petting the velour...

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#3 of 16 Old 11-05-2005, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Oh.. you *have* to get velour. It's so darn plush. *I* want diapers made of the stuff. .. .. well, maybe just underwear But seriously, I made a little newborn dipe and a medium-ish diaper for Katherine out of some navy velour... and it looks like you could swim in it (not that it's a swim diaper of course, but the lushness of it looks like you could just dive on in).

So go for velour -- grab some in different colors if possible!! You can always use the scraps for all kinds of things ... wipes especially! I my velour wipes!! They always seem like they'd be a nice thing to feel on your bum!

Then what else... I'd totally get some wool. I can't tell you whether I like wool jersey or wool interlock better yet though. I've only felted up the jersey I've gotten -- but whoa! best cover EVER!! Plus, there are always fun colors to choose from.

And.. hm... you can never have enough good elastic, FOE, quality thread, good aplix, etc. Don't forget about notions! (plus, a rotary cutter and a cutting mat are *invaluable* investments if you don't already have those!)

But back to material... .. I'm loving cotton interlock now too. It feels like a good heavyweight t-shirt material.... not anything flimsy, but a comfy, comfy t-shirt. And then again, you get a great selection of colors to choose from! I color! Or, if you're more into prints, get some cute print materials to make outers with. You can get a lot of variety in prints, because if you only use it for the outer layer, you can get short yardage amounts!

Hemp french terry is super too. While I love hemp jersey, I like using fewer layers, but still getting great absorbancy from something like hemp french terry and not having to worry about catching all the layers!!!

Or... I prefer microfleece to suedecloth, personally (something about suedecloth gives me the heeby-jeebies)... so you could get some of that for making pocket diapers.. or just for a great stay-dry liner!!

Gosh... I wouldn't even know where to start if I had a nice chunk of money to purchase diaper-making materials with!! I'd be like a kid in a candy shop!! But definitely get velour!!

And then of course you'll have to post here and let us know what you actually *did* pick out

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#4 of 16 Old 11-05-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
I made a little newborn dipe and a medium-ish diaper for Katherine out of some navy velour
Hey, the velour I got is navy too! Great minds think alike!

(ok, so my choices of non-girly colors in the fabric store were limited... but I do love the navy, and it is my favorite PUL color too)

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 16 Old 11-05-2005, 04:35 PM

Velour!!! I agree.
Although I HATED sewing it... the finished product is marvelous!
Ooooh, and some sherpa!
#6 of 16 Old 11-05-2005, 08:13 PM

Well, if this were me, (I'd be jumping up and down and twirling around in the living room!) I'd plan my work horse diapers first and these would be of hemp french terry. Then I'd plan my covers - wool jersey and MM fleece. Then I'd plan my doublers - hemp and microfleece. Then for the fun stuff - velour and sherpa!

Oh how fun.

And my cool secret (probably everyone does this and I'm just pleased I thought of it myself) for cute outers is to buy the quilter's fat quarters bundles at JoAnn's. I can get a medium VB fitted out of one fat quarter. So I would buy a bunch of these and some yardage of some of JoAnn's gorgeous batik rainbow cotton flannel.
http://joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$M2PABFAAAC5DIP4SY5LRIHR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=95461&PRODID=100509&source=search
That's not exactly what I used, but it's fairly close. Make a really cute AIO and cover.

Let us know what you do! We want to drool!
#7 of 16 Old 11-05-2005, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Goodness, this was a hard order to place! I really wanted to try a bunch of different stuff, but not take advantage at the same time, ya know? I tried to stay a little practical without going overboard.

I had to try some velour, but I just got baby blue and baby pink since they go with the prints I already have and I'll make little gnome dolls out of the scraps. I bought some hemp fleece and french terry. I've used hemp jersey, but nothing else yet. I did get 8 yards of white PUL and several cuts of colored PUL. Then I had to get some snaps and some more Aplix.
I also bought the Tiny Poopockets supplement pattern. I really loved the ones someone had given me when dd was a newborn.
I'm still planning on a trip to JoAnn's to buy some Alova suede, thread and some needles.

I think I restrained myself enough. As it is, I still spent about $200 on the order. Yikes! My MIL is a VERY generous woman when it comes to $

Thanks ladies!

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#8 of 16 Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 PM

How exciting!!!!! Oh, you're going to have So Much Fun!!

It's wonderful having generous relatives. My parents are better off financially than MIL right now, so they end up buying us quite a bit... but then on the other side, MIL provided YEARS of free daycare when I was working and she was doing in-home daycare.

And just last weekend, my mom bought me three yards of this *gorgeous* blue batiky material to make a sling with -- and it was at a quilting shop, so not cheap material.

I understand about not wanting to take advantage of generousity... but maybe when she sees your gorgeous creations she'll get some more for you But it sure sounds like you'll have plenty to work with for the time being!!

(I actually just placed my own order for diaper-making supplies after selling off some of my other diapers.. and man oh man, I can't *wait* to get the shipment ... even though I have plenty waiting for me right now!)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#9 of 16 Old 11-07-2005, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
(I actually just placed my own order for diaper-making supplies after selling off some of my other diapers.. and man oh man, I can't *wait* to get the shipment ... even though I have plenty waiting for me right now!)
Isn't it awful? I have tons of sewing to do, but I can't wait to get started on the diapers It's an illness, really.

#10 of 16 Old 11-07-2005, 06:08 PM

I have other sewing stuff to do too... I ran out of thread while sewing Mei Tais for someone, so that's temporarily on hold, and now I'm going to start a baby blanket fitted or two tonight.

This afternoon, I sent DH an e-mail with my Christmas present request of a serger - including links to some that are within our price range, yet still good enough to handle diapers (ones mentioned several times on this board), and he replied "So when are you going to finish the window dressings? " We have a TON of windows in my house, and 3 years ago when we moved in, I went up to Sirs' fabric outlet in Fayetteville, TN (I need to go there and see if they have diaper making supplies! It's a fun store!) and got a bunch of fabric to make curtains for the windows. So far, I've made 2. I have enough fabric to make 4 more, and will need to go get more for our bedroom windows. So here I am with no window dressings at all for the last 3 years, except those 2 I finally made shortly before DS was born. It's a good thing we live in the country and have cows on one side, and on the other side, our neighbor's house is up by the road, whereas our house is WAY back off the road (there are 4 acres between our house and the road). Oh, and our goats are behind us.

Anyway, my reply to my DH was that the window treatments would go faster with a serger. I told him that will be my practice project before I start on the diapers!

Do they have a diaper making 12 step program?

#11 of 16 Old 11-07-2005, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
Do they have a diaper making 12 step program?
Sure they do. It goes like this:

Step 1: order/buy your fabric
Step 2: cut out diaper
Step 3: sew sides together

and so forth. Okay, so I know that's not what you're talking about, I'm just being a goof today.

I had the option of making curtains for our home too, but actually opted out of it. The stuff I wanted to buy was as expensive as premade curtains, and I wanted to spend the time sewing something else!

I need to get my act together and sew up a couple dresses for my girls before my diaper stuff gets here, or else I'll never get them done. I'd probably better get a couple slings made too before I start. I'm glad they don't take long

#12 of 16 Old 11-07-2005, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiswing
I had the option of making curtains for our home too, but actually opted out of it. The stuff I wanted to buy was as expensive as premade curtains, and I wanted to spend the time sewing something else!
That's why I got the fabric at the big outlet store. I got some really nice fabric for dirt cheap. Looking at prices for curtains the size I need them they're tall windows), I actually saved a ton of money making them myself. Even the cheapo Walmart curtains were more expensive than this. But if I'd only had a regular fabric store to go to, it would have been cheaper to buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiswing
I'd probably better get a couple slings made too before I start. I'm glad they don't take long
Oh yeah, I've been needing to make myself another sling since JUNE when I left my old one in my sister's car in TX (I'm in AL), and last night was reminded of this fact when I was walking through Kroger carrying a sleeping 23 lb 16 month old on my shoulder with one hand and pushing the shopping cart with the other. He was *really* tired. My arms have never been stronger!!!

I have the fabric and tons of rings (DS has been playing with some of them - they are REALLY loud inside a plastic pumpkin!). But diapers are so much fun, that I've been doing them first. Plus I have a friend who needs some cheap, trim fitteds, so I'm going to let her test my pattern out.

#13 of 16 Old 11-07-2005, 07:12 PM

Yet another diapers before curtains sewer here! I even nagged my dh to hang the curtain rods so I could measure accurately to sew curtains for our bedrooom. I'm pretty sure the rods have been up since June. :

Have fun with all of your new fabrics! What a great gift!

Busy mama to dd 6/04 and ds 9/07. Living the dream aboard s/v Convivia.
#14 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
Looking at prices for curtains the size I need them they're tall windows), I actually saved a ton of money making them myself. Even the cheapo Walmart curtains were more expensive than this.
My aunt justified the cost of a new serger by making her own curtain/window dressings. She said even after including the cost of the serger, she was still ahead. You might try that angle with your husband. AND, making the curtains would be GREAT, GREAT practice with you serger. I was going to suggest that before I saw you wrote it. You have to figure out speed and control and all...
#15 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 06:21 AM

Well, the order I placed last week for more diaper-making supplies came today ... and I made two VB pockets right away!! (and, I just have to say that the blue microfleece and blue PUL at OSDS go together *WONDERFULLY* ... they're a perfect match, which I think is just tooooo fun!)!

I also got some thread, elastic (thank goodness!! I was down to just four inches before the package came!), hemp french terry, and some orange interlock!!

#16 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

sounds like some of us are getting some early Christmas presents! I really need to try to stay on track with seasonal responsibilities and not get too caught up in diapers, LOL.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page