Diaper patterns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2005, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where can I get cloth diaper and cover patterns? I'm new to sewing and cloth diapering but I would love to make my own pretty dipes....
I dont care for the look of side snaps, I would rather have aplex or snaps along the tummy. Size medium with high rise, or large....
Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2005, 09:10 PM

my favorites are the Very Baby patterns. You can get them, and the New Conceptions patterns at www.diapershop.com. Mind you, they're the only patterns I've tried, but I haven't been disappointed!

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
Old 11-10-2005, 09:43 PM

The Honeyboy pattern is awesome! I like the very baby fitted too.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Another one is Darling Diapers . They have options for front or side aplix.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 11-10-2005, 10:17 PM

Oh, you should also check the "Diaper Pattern Resources" sticky at the top of this forum. That will give you even more options.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 11-10-2005, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you so much! I hope this sewing thing isnt too complicated! Now to find a sewing machine...I think I'm biting off more than I can chew!

Jackie
Old 11-10-2005, 11:52 PM

no, no, no

If I can do it, you can too. My dh used to roll his eyes and walk away when I tried to sew anything. He had to teach me and had to be VERY patient and fix the machine a lot.

ehhehe But now most of my products turn out well. I think diapers are a perfect thing to learn on b/c it's just going to get pooped in anyway, why should it matter if it's perfect? And it's so small, you're not really wasting much fabric if you mess it up beyond salvage.

Welcome to the diaper making board, I guess we'll be seeing more of you!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeosMama
Welcome to the diaper making board, I guess we'll be seeing more of you!
Bwahahahaha! Once you come in, you never leave! Come, join the addiction!

Old 11-11-2005, 03:27 AM

I agree that sewing diapers is really fun and a pretty safe place to start. They are small and if you can't fix a problem by unsewing (see the other threads to see how much we all do that!) and resewing, then really, it's not a big waste. I've never actually tossed a diaper though, I can always figure some way to salvage it.

They really aren't too hard.

Best suggestion I can give you though, try out your pattern with cheap material first (I used the part that I cut off the end of my IKEA curtains after I hemmed them to the right length. I swear, those curtains are designed for giant windows! I had enough material left over to make at least a half dozen testers!) Anything will work really. You'll get the hang of all the steps and find out where you're likely to make errors and you'll make them on the cheap stuff so that your good fabric is reserved for when you feel confident that you know what you're doing!

It's really, really fun
Old 11-12-2005, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
That is soooo true... scary... but true!
Old 11-12-2005, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHatBrat
The Honeyboy pattern is awesome! I like the very baby fitted too.
I'll second the Honeyboy pattern. I love it. It seems known for its high rise. I used the mediums on my son from 4 months on. He is 21 months now and still using them. My next project is to make HB larges, but I will be cutting down the rise now. The high rise for the mediums has been perfect, even from 4 months of age.

You can make regular diapers, AIOs, or pockets out of this pattern.

The tabs can be a little confusing to start, but read through it carefully. The pattern has very detailed directions. Many mamas have said they actually learned to sew just so they could make diapers.

I got the HB pattern from SewShoppe. While you are at it, I LOVE the printed Malden Mills microfleece print they have. It is great for boys. The print is a plastic, but it has *never* been scratchy. It "melts" into the fleece after it is washed. Even after 17 months, it still looks great, is even softer than most of my other MM fleece, and the plastic is not wearing off.

And:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
How true that is!!!!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:56 AM

I use the Very Baby fitted quite often. It's simple (you can use a serger or a regular machine) and you have the option of snaps or aplix. I like aplix for the little ones and snaps for older babies (especially if they have curious fingers and like the sound aplix makes as it comes open ). Side snap gives you a better fit around the legs, but tends to reduce the size range of the pattern a bit.

For covers I like theh Diaper Covers Deluxe because it has gussets. I tweaked mine to make it narrower.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

Old 11-13-2005, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the info! I am going to learn how to sew, just so I can mak diapers!
Jackie
Old 11-13-2005, 12:56 PM

I basically learned to sew to make diapers, and now I am going to move on and make other great things.

I love the Darling Diaper Pattern. It is great for people just learning how to sew, plus it is inexpensive.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

It gives me hope knowing some of you learned how to sew by sewing dipes. I have my orders in for some fabric...fleeces,flannels,hemp,aplix and a Very Baby pattern, now if it would just get here already!!!
Oh I almost forgot I need to borrow a sewing machine from my mil. BTW she thinks I'm nuts and am just cding just to trll people I cloth diapered my boys...What ever. I'm doing it because cloth is so darn cute, HELLO! I just wish I had though of cloth diapering with my 1st ds.
Jackie
Old 11-14-2005, 06:44 AM

I wish I had cloth diapered my first two. We think we are not having any more kids b/c now that we are outnumbered and they are all boys, we are just exhausted. Not to mention the noise! But I have thought of having another child just so I could keep using cloth diapers.

My sweet MIL does not get why I like to spend my sewing time making cloth diapers. But she has her own craft fetishes that I don't quite get. We have a great time showing each other our latest projects. She was quite surprised when she saw how much easier cloth diapers have become since she had to use them. And she can appreciate cute!

User Tag List