Eye Spy Bags? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have instructions for these, or know where to look for them online? I have all the materials (there was a crafting class at church that I was signed up for, and had to miss but I got the supplies) My mom was going to make our bags for us, but she can't tell where the final seam is supposed to go. TIA mamas!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#2 of 24 Old 11-16-2005, 12:35 AM

Did your mom figure it out? I would love to see a picture of the finished bags. I'd like to make one for my nephew for Christmas. I've seen finished bags online, but I can't find instructions. I will probably make a pillow with a window, possibly a handle, but some details would be nice.
#3 of 24 Old 11-16-2005, 01:36 AM

I did mine like Kari_mom suggested. I think I cut mine 8.5x8.5 with the inside window 4 inches. I zig-zagged the plastic on.

I filled mine with rice but it was sooo heavy. I have bought the large bean bag filler from Joanns for the ones I am doing for Christmas. The bean bag filler was $20 at Joanns and I used my 40% off coupon.

Hope this helps!

Tricia
#4 of 24 Old 11-16-2005, 12:40 PM

My sister and I are making a ton of these. Just made a patern ourselves like suggested above. Just a hint though, don't use the mini beanbag type filler. It is sooooo staticy you can't get it to move off the objects to view them in the window. I haven't tried the larger stuff yet, Is it as staticy? Also pvc filler as yucky as it is does it work better? We have 40 bags sewn and the trinkets to put in just looking for the right filler
#5 of 24 Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

The little pvc pellets are awesome. The aren't super heavy and the trinkets slide around really well

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#6 of 24 Old 11-16-2005, 03:50 PM

I got the larger bean bag filler. They are staticy but nothing like the mini bean bag filler.

Tricia
#7 of 24 Old 11-16-2005, 07:49 PM

What about these pellets? http://www.dollstuffing.com/services.html

Of course they only ship UPS so getting them to Canada would be way too pricey for me <sigh>

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#8 of 24 Old 11-17-2005, 03:12 AM

hi everyone...where do you get pvc pellets?

Also, can anyone tell me what little trinkets they are using?

Has anyone tried gluing the window in?

ad what are you using for hte window? Clear shower curtain?

thanks so much. I have the fleece and about 5 toys, not sure thought about the rest of it.
#9 of 24 Old 11-17-2005, 10:31 AM

Could you use lentils ?

winner.jpg  homeschool.gif familybed1.gif    happily married mom to one son jammin.gif and one daughterbiggrinbounce.gif!
#10 of 24 Old 11-17-2005, 02:21 PM

To answer a couple of questions, I bought clear plastic at the fabric store, but you could use a shower curtain. I have been collecting trinkets for a while. The craft store is a good source, especially the scrapbooking section. I also raided the jar by the washer where I keep pocket 'stuff' I find. The bottom of the toy bin is another good source. Things like paperclips, birthday candles, beads, coins, buttons...all good trinkets. Look around your home, you'll find stuff.

For the pellets, I've used rice for 'I Spy in the Snow' bottles, it would work for a bag. Also birdseed mix is popular. Since I want my bags to last, I'm going for the pellets this year.
#11 of 24 Old 11-17-2005, 02:23 PM

Any pics so I can see what they are? :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#12 of 24 Old 11-17-2005, 02:34 PM

http://www.natural-blessings.com/8x8treasure.jpg

I use poly pellets. I got them from Michaels, they're expensive to buy here though. $8 for a bag and it did 1 8X8 bag. I overfilled a couple with the pellets though, I need to take some out.

Pony Bead, Small Silver Ball, Tassel, Feather, Eraser, Coloured Bead, Medium Bead, Toothpick,Clay Pot, Sequin, Coin, Glue Stick, Hand Button, Small Bead, Clasp, Ribbon, Coloured Pompom, Green Bingo Chip, Large Bead, Elastic, Charm, Soybean, Balloon, Bell, Felt Letter/Number, Plastic Car, Plastic Straw, Letter Tile/Bead, Plastic White X, Q-Tip, Popcorn Kernel, Playing Card,
Paper Tag, Peppercorn, Star Button, Googly Eye, Coloured String, Cotton Ball, Paperclip, Mirror

I would not glue the vinyl to the bag, it would be too easy to come undone and you'd have a huge mess.

You can buy a variety of thicknesses of vinyl at a fabric store or walmart. I bought the thickest I could, it is used to cover lawn furniture. I figure it's less likely to split or be poked open.
#13 of 24 Old 11-17-2005, 06:35 PM

ty ty for all the responses

i am looking forward to making a couple of these for Christams
#14 of 24 Old 12-06-2005, 12:13 AM

YEA I finally found the thread on how to make the Spy Bags !!!

Which fabric is best to use ?

Is there any website, or does someone have specific instructions (for beginning crafters HA HA) !!
#15 of 24 Old 12-06-2005, 10:26 AM

I Spy bags what a great idea! I want to make some for my 5 yr old nephew. Are these good for a 5 yr old? Where can you buy the PVC pellets? How many bags should I make?

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#16 of 24 Old 12-11-2005, 10:22 AM

Those look really neat. I had never heard of them before. I will have to try to find more info too. I think my DD would love those.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#17 of 24 Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM

Oh great, an 'I spy bags' thread! *yay* I was thinking of getting some for my 2 kids but the online prices are a bit too steep for our budget so I thought I could make them myself..
Thanks for starting this thread!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#18 of 24 Old 11-20-2007, 04:38 PM

I made one for a friend's DD's birthday. I used fleece and bought the vinyl at Jo-Anns. My Joanns didn't have the Poly pellets, but I found them at Michaels. I did double-stitching on all the seams. Sewed it inside out, turned it right side, stuffed it, and then top stitched around the outside (two rows of top stitching). I think I posted my pics on the other thread.

I used this tutorial, modified slightly since I used fleece which doesn't fray so you don't need to turn down the seam around the vinyl window.

http://rosie-baby-crafty.blogspot.co...-spy-bags.html

I found small wood letters at Jo-Anns also, and I bought these to spell out the girl's name. I thought that would be fun! And then there was a mix of scrapbooking trinkets, buttons, small toys, household objects, etc. Also check out the wood craft aisle at Michaels. I found these cute colored mini clothespins that are adorable.
#19 of 24 Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM

Thanks for your info and the link, Tina!!!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#20 of 24 Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM

I found this thread really helpful - http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=bags

I couldn't find polly pelets and ended up buying fake snow to use, lol. I think it will work well, I hope it's not too staticy. I bought a bunch of stuff at the craft store and also found stuff around the house. Some things I'm using - colorful foam letter beads, foam animal shapes, a silver bell (the jingle bells type), fun buttons, big googly eyes, a barbie shoe, colored pasta, sea shells, beads, magnetic letters, army guys, coins, pom-poms, a plastic spider, tiny ornaments, little tiny rubber ducks from the penny toy section at Joanns, etc. HTH.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#21 of 24 Old 11-22-2007, 12:40 AM

: I am soooooooo glad I found this thread!!! I have been trying to figure out how to make these. It doesn't seem that difficult, but I am a novice. I would love to see more finished products!!! I can't wait to do this!

Ampartners.gifDF*DD7shy.gif*DD3shy.gif*Baby#3stork-suprise.gif EDD August 26, 2013

angel1.gif Feb. 28, 2004  angel1.gif Nov. 5, 2006

vbac.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifcd.gif

signcirc1.gif

#22 of 24 Old 11-22-2007, 07:41 PM

It looks like I never posted my pics of my project. Here is the bag, as well as what I placed into it. I'm going to print out the photo of what's in there and attach it to the little ribbon so she knows what to find (she's a non-reader). I can't remember how big I made the bag - maybe something like 8x8. Hopefully I have time to make some for my boys for Christmas. I think they would be fun activities in the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/IMG_0355.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/IMG_0359.jpg

Here's my list of what's in there:

* wooden letters that I just colored with markers
* big buttons
* colored wooden beads
* mini rolling pin (found in the wood crafts aisle at Michaels)
* mini wooden colored clothespin (Michaels wood craft aisle again)
* little christmas present (supposed to be used to decorate mini christmas trees)
* little candy cane (ditto)
* birthday pieces - found in the bead aisle at Michaels, I think or was it scrapbooking/card making?
* the little dog and bone are scrapbooking/card embellishments, I think
* jingle ball
* little cotton pom poms
#23 of 24 Old 11-29-2007, 03:43 PM

I had to bump this thrend. I am making some eye spy bags for Christmas presents. Here is some photos of what I am putting in them. I am pretty excited about them. I hope the kids I am making them for are as excited as I am
#24 of 24 Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 PM

Hello every body
I have instructions for the eye spy bags.[/FONT]I have created a pattern for them, and just recently put one up for auction on ebay I sell them for $2.50 a pattern but I started the bid on ebay for .99 cents each. My plan is to just send them buy email so I hope it works. I just started this business and I hope it will be successful I am a single mom and I need a stay at home job. I would sure love to do business with all of you.
Thankyou I look forword to hearing from you my email is:inspirationcreations@gmail.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page