VB pattern questions - elastic and pocket... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-27-2005, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you make a VB pocket (or any pocket diaper for that matter) do you make the pocket opening in the front or the back?

The supplemental instructions say to make it in the front, but I *think* I'd like it in the back. How would one change the pattern to make it in the back, i.e. where would you put the back elastic?

Also, we're (my mom and I) having trouble getting the elastic tight enough in the legs and back. We have two diapers finished and the elastic is still not quite tight enough. Do you just pull it as tight as you possibly can? My mother is a very experienced seamstress, but this is her first time making diapers. The instructions aren't really clear about how much elastic to use for each opening... Mom says that she's used to a pattern saying, "use x inches of elastic" and you just stretch it between the two end markings. Are we missing something here?

Thanks for the help!
#2 of 16 Old 11-27-2005, 12:29 AM

I have never used the VB pattern, but I would think that you could do it like others. The back elastic could be placed on the outter material and on the inner material on the back side, just don't sew the two layers together there. You can see how it is done with the HB pattern here:
http://www.diapersewing.com/hbpocketinstructions.htm
As far as the lenght of the elastic I would use 4-5 inches, but that can very depending on the size of the dipe or the size of your dc's thighs.
HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraMama
When you make a VB pocket (or any pocket diaper for that matter) do you make the pocket opening in the front or the back?

The supplemental instructions say to make it in the front, but I *think* I'd like it in the back. How would one change the pattern to make it in the back, i.e. where would you put the back elastic?

Also, we're (my mom and I) having trouble getting the elastic tight enough in the legs and back. We have two diapers finished and the elastic is still not quite tight enough. Do you just pull it as tight as you possibly can? My mother is a very experienced seamstress, but this is her first time making diapers. The instructions aren't really clear about how much elastic to use for each opening... Mom says that she's used to a pattern saying, "use x inches of elastic" and you just stretch it between the two end markings. Are we missing something here?

Thanks for the help!
#3 of 16 Old 11-27-2005, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You can put a pocket opening in front or back. It's totally your choice. I would personally do the back because then I'm not always grabbing a wet insert.

For the back, you'd probably want to make a casing for your elastic. I haven't seen the VB AIO pattern (I assume that's what you're using), so I don't know if you have to adjust the pattern for that or not.

As far as tightness of elastic goes... What time of elastic are you using? If it's polybraid or swimsuit elastic, you can stretch it as tight as it will possibly go, then sew it in. Yes, most clothes patterns have x number of inches of elastic, and for some reason, diaper pattern makers don't seem to ever measure how much it takes, but maybe that's because it depends on the type of elastic you use? I dunno. Anyway, stretching super tight as you sew really does work. If you're using Lastin, you don't want to stretch it that tight though - Lastin you stretch as far as it will easily go, and once you feel a change in the tension of the stretch, that's where you want to stop and go back to before you felt that change. If you sit there and stretch it randomly, you'll see what I'm talking about. I've found that Lastin makes for nice stretchy legs in thin materials (like PUL and one or two layers of flannel), but it doesn't work as well for something like thick fleece or several layers of flannel. So for thicker layers, you'd want to stick with the polybraid or swimsuit elastic, and just stretch the stew out of it.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#4 of 16 Old 11-27-2005, 12:31 AM

I just recieved my pattern today so...

: I'm curious too!
#5 of 16 Old 11-27-2005, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

I am using the VB AIO pattern. Sorry for not being more specific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
What time of elastic are you using?
I'm using the 1/4" polybraid that OSDS sells.

So, would Lastin be better for pockets since we're only sewing it to a layer of PUL and a layer of fleece?
#6 of 16 Old 11-27-2005, 04:36 AM

I originally thought that having the pocket opening in the front was just plain silly. After I sewed my first one I thought I would *never* get used to it.

But I have. And I've made quite a few pockets this very way. And actually now I really happen to like it ... Or maybe I just *make* myself like it because I have No Clue how you would alter the VB AIO pattern (the only actual pattern I've used -- I've just drafted up the others on my own) to make a pocket in the back. ... But in my thinkings (not in any *doings* because that would require more effort than I'm willing to put forth at this time), if you did something like what the Fuzzi Bunz have (elastic in a casing, I believe, in case you're unfamiliar) then that should, in theory, work still. You'd still get a snug fit in the back while leaving an opening.

I hope that made sense.

As for Lastin vs. polybraid... I've only ever used polybraid. And yes, you stretch it As Tight As You Can in order to get a good, snug leg.

I think when I first began sewing (I had no experience sewing whatsoever but decided to dive into diaper-making anyway) it bothered me also that the patterns did not call for a specific length of elastic... but now I just gauge it by stretching the elastic over the diaper (just with my hands and guessing where the elastic's anchors should be), then cut the pieces to suit my needs... and as long as I start from the same spot on both sides I figure it will come out even-looking anyway.

I hope my babble makes sense. It's nearly 1 a.m. here... I had little sleep last night... and I'm supposed to be up in *ack* six hours... and can't sleep

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#7 of 16 Old 11-27-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraMama
So, would Lastin be better for pockets since we're only sewing it to a layer of PUL and a layer of fleece?
Either one is fine. I know Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heiny both use polybraid in their pockets. So what you're using should work great, but you need to stretch it as far as you can to get a good gather.

Back to how to do a back pocket.. Looking at the VB pocket instructions, you might have to lengthen the PUL piece in the back so you'll have enough to fold over for a casing. Or it might be ok as is. Just look at your seam allowance, and if you need more, add more to the back. Then instead of sewing up the back, you leave that part open, and you sew the PUL down so you have a casing, and thread the elastic through that, tacking it on both ends.

I just looked at my Fuzzi Bunz, and how they do it... They leave a "flap" of PUL where the pocket will be (and an inch or two to either side) that can be folded over for a casing, but the rest of the PUL is serged together with the microfleece (so that "flap" is like a tab that sticks out from the original pattern). The PUL is elasticized, but the microfleece is not. If you wanted both sides elasticized, you could do something similar to this.

I've not made a pocket diaper, and I've not used the VB AIO pattern, so if I'm not making any sense, well... that's to be expected.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#8 of 16 Old 11-27-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
As for Lastin vs. polybraid... I've only ever used polybraid. And yes, you stretch it As Tight As You Can in order to get a good, snug leg.

I think when I first began sewing (I had no experience sewing whatsoever but decided to dive into diaper-making anyway) it bothered me also that the patterns did not call for a specific length of elastic... but now I just gauge it by stretching the elastic over the diaper (just with my hands and guessing where the elastic's anchors should be), then cut the pieces to suit my needs... and as long as I start from the same spot on both sides I figure it will come out even-looking anyway.
I don't ever cut elastic before sewing. I tack it down, sew it if I am going to sew it, tack the 2nd end down, and THEN cut it. That way it's easy to handle, you'r enot grabbing on to the smallest piece and you odn't have to tack down the two ends before you sew it if you're going to do that.

Plus, then you don't have to guage anything
#9 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 03:23 PM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents - I do elastic a bit differently.

First of all, I discovered that I like the 3/8" polybraid better around the legs - it seems stronger to me. I created my own pattern, so I had to figure out the whole elastic thing. I take a tape measure and measure from start to end point of the elastic on the pattern piece being sure to follow the curve of the leg opening. Then I lay the tape measure flat. Next I take the elastic I am using (they all stretch differently) and through a little trial and error, I stretch until I find the point where it is stretched as far as it will go. I hold one end tightly at the end of the tape measure and use my thumb nail to mark and hold the tighly stretched elastic at the end measurement for the leg opening (9 inches, for instance). Then still holding it with my thumb nail, I let it go and re-measure the elastic unstretched at the point where my thembnail is. Then I cut two pieces of elastic to that measurement. Then I know my leg elastic will match and I won't have one leg that fits differently than the other. To sew it on, I tack each end of the elastic to the two end marks on the pattern. Then I don't have to worry about it slipping out of place while I stretch and zigzag it. Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

Capemom
#10 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 05:28 PM

To the OP... I was just perusing the sewdiapers site again, and noticed what appears to be a new addition... How to sew a back opening pocket .

Either it's new in the last day or two, or I was super blind when I looked at the instructions a couple days ago!

#11 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 11:37 PM

i've made several vb pockets with the elastic in back but in the future i think i will try the front opening instead. for some reason, the elastic seems tight and bunchy around baby's back unlike the vb aio's that i've sewn where the elastic seems much more comfy an inch lower than the top/back of the diaper. plus, it's more likely that the inner fleecy layer will slip up past the pul and cause leaks (it may do this with the opening inhte front, but with baby sleeping on her back it's not such a leaky mess) does this make sense?

leg elastic....i too started my first batch of aio's using a certain amount (a number i forget but reasoned from the instructions) of elastic stretched between two points. after a few big blowout poos i figured they needed to be a bit tighter so since then i strech the elastic as tight as it will go and sew it like that. (i've actually torn apart the 5 previous dipes to fix the elastic since...what a pita)
#12 of 16 Old 11-29-2005, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
To the OP... I was just perusing the sewdiapers site again, and noticed what appears to be a new addition... How to sew a back opening pocket .

Either it's new in the last day or two, or I was super blind when I looked at the instructions a couple days ago!
Thanks so much for that link! I definitely think she just added it b/c when I was on her site last Sat trying to figure out the pattern, that was NOT there. I sent the link to my mom and she said it's just the instructions we needed from the beginning!
#13 of 16 Old 11-29-2005, 05:02 PM

Maybe she was reading this forum while nursing the new babe.

#14 of 16 Old 12-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks so much for that link! I definitely think she just added it b/c when I was on her site last Sat trying to figure out the pattern, that was NOT there. I sent the link to my mom and she said it's just the instructions we needed from the beginning!
That's been there for-evah! You were blind
#15 of 16 Old 12-17-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbucket
That's been there for-evah! You were blind
She's back! She's back!

I know I'm definitely blind.

#16 of 16 Old 12-18-2005, 01:21 AM

I was going to write some brilliant instructions for you since I have a ton of pockets that are all constructed differently (though none with a front opening yet) and I've fiddled with lots of patterns AND I have the VB pattern. BUT... then I saw that you no longer needed my instructions. sigh.

so, I hope it goes really easily now!

In terms of the elastic... I've used both polybraid and clear swimsuit elastic (bought locally so it's probably not lastin quality. Still works though) I like sewing with both for different reasons. I always get a stronger pull with the polybraid. I like that. I have occasionally hit the rubber part on the polybraid (especially the cheap stuff) and cut the rubber with the needle which is a royal pain in the rear to fix. The clear elastic gives a softer pull which I think works well with the VB pattern since it's just pulling one layer of PUL and I don't feel like I need the strength of the polybraid. To be honest, I like to keep both around and then use whatever I happen to grab or whatever whim hits. They both work.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page