Can you make CP soap while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-28-2005, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the answer is no... but I wanted to check before thinking about learning to make cold process soap. I'm not pregnant, but we're trying. I know that melt and pour soap is ok, and I've been having fun with that, but of course I'd like to try making soap from scratch now.
Janine
#2 of 8 Old 11-28-2005, 04:52 PM

I think it would be okay. Mix the lye and water in a ventilated area and wear gloves during the entire process. If I had the energy while pregnant, I would have made CP soap without worry.
#3 of 8 Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 PM

I was told no by several people, including my dad, a doc. So I would vote put it off till after baby comes. Unless your using a ventalater mask with carbon filters rated for haderous chemicals your really not protecting yourself enough from the chemicals.
#4 of 8 Old 12-02-2005, 10:25 PM

I personally wouldn't do it without A LOT of protection. (And I painted indoors while preg). My dh bought me a $40 chem mask to wear around the lye fumes. I think I would use this outdoors while preg and be careful not to put my head above the lye water. This is the only way that I would personally do it while preg.
#5 of 8 Old 12-03-2005, 03:05 PM

I'm suprised by these answers. I hardly notice the lye fumes. I have always mixed the lye and water outside and just turn my face away when I do it. When I check on the temp of the solution after several minutes I don't notice the fumes.
#6 of 8 Old 12-03-2005, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellen
I'm suprised by these answers. I hardly notice the lye fumes. I have always mixed the lye and water outside and just turn my face away when I do it. When I check on the temp of the solution after several minutes I don't notice the fumes.
Me too.

I think the lye fumes are a short time thing, like a burst and then they are gone. I don't see why you couldn't do this with proper precautions. I barely notice the lye fumes either, I am careful to make soap in a well ventilated area and I stay away when I first add the water to the lye.

I think burns are the main danger associated with making lye soap, the fumes never seemed that major to me.

flowersforyou.gif

#7 of 8 Old 12-04-2005, 01:17 AM

I did. I just made sure I mixed my lye somewhere with plenty of fresh air.
There are sooooo many things that people say you shouldn't do when you're pregnant - but most of them could be safe with a bit of common sense, yk?
#8 of 8 Old 12-09-2005, 01:41 AM

Also, be careful when using some Eos I wouldn't use rosemary while pregnant.

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page