Pul questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-04-2005, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally came to the realization that there is no since in paying good money for FB when I have the ability to whip them puppies up myself for a fraction of the cost.

I just ordered 12 FB. Three looked like the pul was laid on a grill. They actually had evenly placed groved lines all across the pul. The rest all had sloppy fleece jobs, and at least one has the seams coming undone. I can do a whole lot better than that. This actually surprised me cuz the first batch of smalls I had were all perfectly sewn. I don't know what happened to quality control.

My biggest reserve is working with PUL. To those of you who have gone before and worked with PUL: what type and size of needle did you use? Is there anything special that you do differently when using PUL that you don't do with other materials? Anything you can think of would be most helpful.

I'm about to give up on my Joann's fleece order. I went to the website and it still says: *Status: In Process*. Twenty-nine days tomorrow. I will call and if they haven't shipped I want a refund. I know I can trust the OSDS and the other diaper store to ship out a lot faster than that.
#2 of 16 Old 12-04-2005, 07:57 PM

Wow, that's some sloppy sewing on the FBs!!! I have noticed that FBs are not really made with utmost quality, and I agree, you can whip them out for a fraction of the cost.

I've made 3 covers and one pair of training pants with PUL, and it hasn't been as scary as it sounded at first. I started with a one layer cover bound with FOE. That was super easy - no problems there. The second cover I made with a cotton outer print. To do this, I sewed the print and the PUL together first. This was trickier. I highly recommend LOTS of pins when sewing PUL to another fabric, and go slowly. Next, I made a pair of Darling Diapers Potty Dance Pants - PUL outer and flannel inner. I used a bunch of pins, and this actually went VERY well.

I sew with shiny side toward the feed dogs. I use a ball point needle... I think I've been using a size 14 lately... Don't know if that's "correct", but it works for me. If you have trouble with skipped stitches or anything like that, you might make sure you're using a new needle.
#3 of 16 Old 12-04-2005, 08:19 PM

It's been a while since I've sewn PUL (I've been on a serging kick) but I put shiny side down, and used a walking foot. I'd love to get a teflon foot but I can't bring myself to buy it.

I'd contact MOE about those Fuzzi Bunz. I'm almost positive they have a guarantee of sorts so you can get replacements or a refund.
#4 of 16 Old 12-04-2005, 09:49 PM

we only had one fb so can't really comment on the quality. ours was just fine. We just don't like snaps so I prefer to sew my own. It's fun, cheaper and I get a more custom fit.

PUL isn't as bad to work with as I thought it would be. My machine doesn't mind it at all really so I think I'm pretty lucky. I experimented with ballpoint, universal and stretch needles. They all worked okay for me. The tension was a bit easier to regulate with a universal needle in my machine so that's what I use. I have more trouble sewing aplix onto my diapers than sewing the PUL. My machine doesn't have a problem with the shiny side facing the feed dogs or with the shiny side facing the regular machine foot. I recognize though, that I'm in the minority on that one! The hardest thing to get right at the beginning was the tension. Once I figured out where that should be set, it has been pretty smooth sailing. I think my needles are sz 11...
#5 of 16 Old 12-05-2005, 12:25 AM

I use a teflon foot, my machine hates the shiny side of PUL up or down without the teflon foot. Universal needle size 80, polyester thread...I find that I have the most control with my layers if I use temporary spray adhesive to bond the fleece to the PUL wrong sides together. And I sew the elastic to the PUL side of the seam allowance.
#6 of 16 Old 12-05-2005, 04:44 AM

I'm glad I found this thread...I'm about to go attempt my first PUL diaper making process and actually didn't even consider PUL being 'different' from other materials so I'm glad I found this and got a little advice before ruining some 'pricy' printed PUL. Thanks!
#7 of 16 Old 12-05-2005, 05:24 AM

Well... I'd say to avoid pins! I mean, sure, the sewing machine needle will put holes in your PUL, but I try to avoid any additional holes. And how?

Well.. a nifty little trick that I learned on this board: use the clippy barrettes. You know, the all-metal ones that are sort of triangular shaped and 'pop' open and shut? They're dirt cheap but the work like a charm!! I don't know what I'd do without them!!! I really think that's the best-ever tip I"ve picked up from here (and I've picked up A LOT). Plus, that way I don't have to worry about needles falling onto the floor and one of the roving dds stepping on them (because they both to be in the sewing room with me!)!

Otherwise... I sew with the PUL shiny-side on the feed dogs. Mostly because I've been sewing a lot of VB AIOs and I think it's easier to deal with the material side when sewing those dipes.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#8 of 16 Old 12-05-2005, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Oh wow!!! Such wonderful tips!!!! Thank you ladies!!!
#9 of 16 Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 AM

Unless I'm turning a diaper inside out I use a washable glue stick from the office supply section. Works like a charm and I can prep a bunch of diapers without a bunch of pins or fasteners (like now when I'm plowing through dozens of mama bird's AIOs).

I've actually been more afraid of stuff like PUL and FOE then actually tried it and found it so easy to sew. I've been able to sew the PUL by itself laminated side up and down, with a layer of fabric or many. I just make sure to start each project with a new needle and cleaned out bobbin case (I use universal size 90/14 needles for everything).
#10 of 16 Old 12-05-2005, 02:17 PM

I have been making pul pockets from the mama bird pattern and have found sewing with pul super easy. I am also binding with foe. I also use a washable glue stick. I sew with pul side up.
#11 of 16 Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 PM

hey neat angie! Another mad sewer like me. LOL I have to say that sewing with FOE has been a breeze compared to how hard I imagined it to be.
#12 of 16 Old 12-05-2005, 11:59 PM

Great advice! I'm about to start sewing my first pul dipes....I am also new to sewing peroid. I'm on my 7th diaper now and slowly catching on. I've gotta go get some glue sticks now.
Jackie
#13 of 16 Old 12-06-2005, 02:00 AM

I tried the glue stick and didn't like it. I pin like a maniac! I LOVE pins! my stuff always turns out better when I pin the life out of it. So far ALL my pin holes have sealed after a nice hot wash and dry. Even the second diaper I made with PUL where my machine had a loose screw and the thread was everywhere and I pinned and sewed the leg elastic casing something like 4 times on one side and 2 on the other is totally leakproof and in constant rotation now. I either have phenomenal luck or a dryer that's the perfect temperature for sealing holes in PUL. I just have to be patient enough to get the diaper through the washer and dryer before I use it on the baby :
#14 of 16 Old 12-06-2005, 02:40 AM

Yeah, I haven't had any problem with pin holes in my PUL, as long as I dry on hot. Believe me... I've had to unsew a bit.
#15 of 16 Old 12-06-2005, 03:24 AM

oh I've never had problems with holes in the PUL but I hate pinning diapers. I never make just one diaper, seems I'm always making dozens so swiping a glue stick is much quicker than pinning for me. However, I really don't like sewing diapers. I make them because I'm very picky about what works for us.

What I really like is garment sewing and THEN I'll pin with abandon.
#16 of 16 Old 12-08-2005, 03:00 PM

This is probably because I learned to sew with the Honeyboy pattern (sewing on the lines)... but in any case.. When I've made two-layer Turned and Topstitched PUL covers (PUL shiny side inside, cute fabric out), this is what I do... Trace the pattern, cut out the fabric an inch outside of the lines, and use that inch for pinning. Once the layers are sewn together, most of that inch gets trimmed off (except the bits the elastic is sewn to), so no worries about pin holes there. I'm assuming this is not how most folks sew, but it usually works well for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page