Woohoo, finally went shopping!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-13-2005, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to Len's Mills today and bought new diaper supplies!!! I got 6 yards of terry knit for 35.00. They had hemp there but so many varieties that I had no clue what I was suppose to use. Plus a lot of it is really tough, is it suppose to be like that? Next trip I'll pick up hemp to make some doublers with!!! I also got some type of water proof material, it looks similar to pul but it has absolutely no stretch. Almost like the white waterproof stuff you can get to cover tables, but more cloth like. Anyways I got 3 yards for the price of one yard of pul. So I'll try it out. Lots of flannel and this channel type of material that is super cool. I also found the same hook and loop I ordered from OSDS!!!! I got it at .39/yard plus 20% off, score!!!! Oooh and I can't forget more of that FOE that I love from there!!! I'll be sewing up a storm tonight so I will hopefully get pics up in the next few days!!! Can you tell I'm excited!! I wish I didn't have to wait for it to wash and dry!!!

My question is with that pul like material....because it has no stretch should I be cutting it a bit bigger? The pul I bought from OSDS doesn't have a lot of stretch so I don't think that this fabric having no stretch is a big deal.

There was actually a lot of different types of water resistant material there, so I could always try out different stuff with a bit of stretch but this seemed to be a safe bet that it will work!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena23
I went to Len's Mills today and bought new diaper supplies!!! I got 6 yards of terry knit for 35.00. They had hemp there but so many varieties that I had no clue what I was suppose to use. Plus a lot of it is really tough, is it suppose to be like that? Next trip I'll pick up hemp to make some doublers with!!! I also got some type of water proof material, it looks similar to pul but it has absolutely no stretch. Almost like the white waterproof stuff you can get to cover tables, but more cloth like. Anyways I got 3 yards for the price of one yard of pul. So I'll try it out. Lots of flannel and this channel type of material that is super cool. I also found the same hook and loop I ordered from OSDS!!!! I got it at .39/yard plus 20% off, score!!!! Oooh and I can't forget more of that FOE that I love from there!!! I'll be sewing up a storm tonight so I will hopefully get pics up in the next few days!!! Can you tell I'm excited!! I wish I didn't have to wait for it to wash and dry!!!

My question is with that pul like material....because it has no stretch should I be cutting it a bit bigger? The pul I bought from OSDS doesn't have a lot of stretch so I don't think that this fabric having no stretch is a big deal.

There was actually a lot of different types of water resistant material there, so I could always try out different stuff with a bit of stretch but this seemed to be a safe bet that it will work!!!
I bet what you got that was waterproof was Oil Cloth. Let me know how it works out and if its bulky or not.
#3 of 16 Old 12-13-2005, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena23
They had hemp there but so many varieties that I had no clue what I was suppose to use. Plus a lot of it is really tough, is it suppose to be like that?
Hemp can be kind of stiff until you wash it up, but it shouldn't be super stiff, I don't think. I like hemp french terry myself. It has little loops, but is kind of rough on the loopy side. It's also very stretchy. You put the smooth side towards the baby - it's actually relatively soft. Although so far, my diapers have not had the hemp even touching the baby. I've done hemp outside, sherpa inside (very soft) then a soaker with 3 layers of hemp and one layer of velour (very very soft). But I've also put my Joey Bunz (hemp jersey) inserts against DS's skin, and those were fine. Hemp jersey feels the same as the smooth side of hemp french terry.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#4 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 12:00 AM

Wow! I want to go fabric shopping with you! Sounds absolutely awesome!
#5 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 12:04 AM

That sounds like quite a satisfying shopping day. I get to do that after Christmas with the gift certs that I'm getting. Yup, no surprises here, I know what I'm getting. And I like it that way!
#6 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 03:33 AM

Okay, that clinches it... I am totally making a trip to that store when I'm nearby at Christmas!

What a find, hemp in a bricks and mortar store!

In terms of the stretch... PUL has a fair amount of stretch in it. You might want to cut them a touch bigger... Why not try a cheap version with broadcloth and see how you like the fit.

I used some non-stretchy stuff and didn't find that I needed to change the diaper pattern however I do like the way the PUL diapers fit better with that extra bit of stretch. I might incorporate a bit more elastic in the back or add some to the front as well if I were to make non-stretchy diapers again to get a better fit.
#7 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 03:51 AM

hemp at lens?

oh girl don't tell me that!!!
what lens do you go to just in case mine doesn't have it!

been trying to avoid more lens trips....always great scores but lol not great for my credit scores

my lens has neoprene...I've been temped to make scuba diaper covers...for night time...lol

8 might be enough
#8 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I might incorporate a bit more elastic in the back or add some to the front as well if I were to make non-stretchy diapers again to get a better fit.
You can also cut the diaper layer on the bias if you are using a woven to take advantage of the bias stretch. Takes up more fabric though!

Where is Len"s Mills? I am sure there is not one anywhere near me but I feel compelled to know in case we travel, I wouldn't want to miss the chance to buy hemp and neoprene cheap!
#9 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 12:22 PM

This makes me so sad, they're only in Canada?! GGRRR and they don't seem to take online orders.
#10 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 01:45 PM

Don't complain too much! We HAVE to get lucky once in awhile here in Canada... Remember Leosmama, We have to ship ALL our PUL over the border, we can get dinged significantly with duties on every order and it takes upwards of 3 weeks sometimes for my PUL to arrive. There's NO Canadian source for diaper quality PUL and I have not yet found a store (online or Bricks and Mortar) to buy any kind of hemp until this post, which makes me feel like this

I get jealous every time I hear about a good JoAnne's purchase... we don't have those either and trust me, Fabricland and Bouclair (our major chains) pretty much chew.
#11 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 03:16 PM

That's funny, the last time I bought pul online it came from Canada. Hmmm
#12 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM

Julie, you better tell Beth where you found it!

Thanks for the reality check, Beth, guess I'm a bit spoiled.
#13 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 04:47 PM

100% hemp is almost like a canvas or jute fabric and quite stiff. Most diaper hemp is 55% hemp, 45% cotton. The usual hemp fleece, terry, jersey etc. are hemp/cotton blends so they are much softer and definitely soften up with washing. With lots and lots of use (more than a year for example) the softer cotton fibers can start to wear away, leaving more stiff hemp fibers exposed. When people say that a hemp diaper has "thinned out" that is what they mean, that the fabric isn't as soft and fluffy as it used to be.

I have found hemp and organics locally finally and boy does that bust my budget!

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#14 of 16 Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 PM

No kidding I want to know where you got that PUL from! I've been looking for a Canadian source for PUL for about a year now and had given up! I don't like the Wazoodle PUL... hopefully you are going to tell me about some unknown awesome source to feed my addiction! Please, Please let me in on the secret!!! I promise I'll be your friend forever and only use the knowledge for good!
#15 of 16 Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh Beth if you go you will have to let me know what you would use out of their selection for barriers. The stuff I found was in the k-way section. I'm pretty sure that the Cambridge one would have neoprene as well because they told me that they do all the ordering for all Len's mills. I just have no idea what neoprene looks like. I'm assuming wet suit material??? They had so much selection for hemp I was going to buy the 55%hemp, 45% cotton because it looked the softest. Even still though hemp is pricey!!! I'll have to wait till they let me know when it's on sale. I know the 100% hemp was almost $25.00/yard. I'd also like to know where that Canadian supplier of PUL is!!
#16 of 16 Old 12-17-2005, 01:59 AM

I'll take a look and let you know what I think for sure.

I really do like PUL best so far though. I've kinda resigned myself to just importing it. So far I've had 2 orders come through pretty well, they both just took ages (about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks both times.)

I'm REALLY excited that I can get Hemp off the shelf though. That's a serious find! (especially since my inlaws live in Kitchener!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page