Mama Cloth how-to? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-16-2005, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need advice on materials, how many layers, etc.

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#2 of 7 Old 12-29-2005, 06:27 PM

Me too! :

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#3 of 7 Old 12-31-2005, 04:49 PM

What is a Mama cloth?
#4 of 7 Old 12-31-2005, 11:40 PM

Mama cloth is Cloth pads for mom. Depending on you flow will determine how many layers you want and what kind of material your using.

I use 4-8 layers of flannel for the soaker on mine. If you use sherpa as a soaker use layers.

HTH's
#5 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 03:30 PM

Hello Ladies:

I am not sure if y'all are still needing/wanting any information about what materials to use for mama cloth, but here is a link that may prove useful to you both.

www.diaperpin.com

Click on the link for forums and scroll down until you see a section called, Cloth Talk. This section is dedicated to menstural alternatives so there is 20 pages that you can go through and hopefully you will find what you are looking for.

I went through all 20 pages (I think I am a bit addicted to cloth ) and read quite a bit and learned about some new cloth pads makers I didn't know. There is a bit of posting about making your own (along with pictures, details about fabric, and how to) in those 20 pages.

Most say that 4 layers (top layer of flannel or cotton, 2 soaker layers terrycloth, flannel or cotton/fleece mix, and a water barrier of some sort like fleece or PUL) is enough.

I use 4-6 layers of cotton/fleece. As the PP said, it really depends on your flow.

Have fun!
Sumaiyah
#6 of 7 Old 01-06-2006, 07:23 PM

I've had the same cloth pads from Glad Rags for 15 years. Before that, I had one of their pads and simply made my own copies out of flannel. Those lasted the first 15 years. Two layers of flannel with a slit in the bottom panel for inserting more layers if needed. They look like winged thin maxipads and they snap at the "wing" closure.

I almost never needed the extra layers, maybe once or twice, but I would use them in the same way as panty shields because they were the same size as mini-pads were back in the day.
#7 of 7 Old 01-19-2006, 11:52 PM

Six layers of flannel and PUL on the bottom is what I use. I made my own after a design I saw that I really liked. It has wings and snaps but folds out so it gets thoroughly cleaned and dries quickly.

You really can't go wrong when making your own. You can use as many layers as feel comfortable to you. What keeps the blood from wicking on your clothes would be PUL or a layer of thicker fleece on the bottom.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page