Quick diaper advice please! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 12-21-2005, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a wife and you think that might be helpful with things like sewing... not so much here. She was banned from the sewing machines in gr 7 or 8 home ec because she kept breaking needles after 6 needles, she had her priviledges revoked!

She's VERY enthusiastic about the diapers I make though and she does let me know when she likes or dislikes a material and she gives me good suggestions for what does and doesn't work which have all made my diapers better.

She also keeps me fed. I'd starve or have scurvy if it weren't for her!

so, that's way off topic.

To get back on topic... I use chalk on dark colours and marker on light colours. I usually use something permenant (i hadn't thought of crayolas being washable! what a GREAT idea!) and cut inside or turn and topstitch.

when you're sewing the curves, just feed the material into the machine the way you want it to go (move the fabric around so the machine takes it in as if it were going in straight.) it won't take you long to get it right.

You have to do the same with a serger. In fact, I find things trickier with a serger than my sewing machine, but I've had my machine for 8 yrs now and the serger is borrowed from my neighbour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 12-21-2005, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have sewn 4 CDs in my life - I only just started last week. But I have written down my favourite pattern. I have copied it off a onesize kind of diaper so this pattern should fit a wide range - and is very easily adjusted for bigger or smaller babies. It is T-shaped - a shape I really like for the simplicity and the way it is so easily adjusted to a good fit. Another good thing is that it is easy to draw and sew.
I have tried to make the instruction as simple as possible - and the diaper can be made of an old towel (preferably a soft one) and some flannel (could be old sheet or duvetcover) or jersey (I used an old sheet). If you are out of fabrics then find a secondhandstore and look for old towels or sheets - those usually sell very very cheap.
Take a look here for the pattern

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#33 of 33 Old 12-21-2005, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeosMama
if it's something you can make with your hands, he can do it (except he doesn't seem interested in knitting so far, but if i asked him to help, he would probably teach himself). He doesn't seem to be concerned about what any other man would ever think of him.
Are you sure you aren't married to my dad?!?

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page