Any Spinners? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-18-2005, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just learned how to spin this past autumn and would love to get a spinning wheel (would also love to get a sheep to gather my own wool...but there are sheep down the road). Just curious if anyone here is into spinning and understands how to create thicker yarns and how to dye.

Orthodox Mama
#2 of 17 Old 12-18-2005, 05:33 PM

Me, me, me! I am still a pretty new spinner, using a Lendrum ST wheel.

I am SO jealous that you have sheep down the road. I live nowhere near any sheep.

What are you spinning now? Do you have any specific questions (I might not be able to help, but hopefully I could find the answer!)
#3 of 17 Old 12-18-2005, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I'm not spinning. I took a short class on it and first time at the wheel I did it perfectly...had rythem and all...it was so relaxing and didn't require all the brainpower and eyestrain that sewing and embroidery require of me. I'm a lefty, so crochet has been a pain in my backside since I was a kid (s-grandmother tried every year to teach me...don't ask for more than a single chain stitch out of me). However, my mil and sil both crochet and I thought it would be great if I could spin and dye and sell it (lots of crocheters and knitters in PA).

First things first...where to buy a used spinning wheel??? (I don't ebay or any form of paypal)

Orthodox Mama
#4 of 17 Old 12-18-2005, 06:00 PM

I bought mine used through Yahoo groups. There are many spinning yahoo groups--I would recommend spin-list and spin-sales (spin-list for info, no sales/iso allowed there) and spin list for a used wheel. Just post an ISO.
#5 of 17 Old 12-18-2005, 08:53 PM

I found my used wheel in the spinners weavers housecleaning pages:
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbbspin.html
Knowing nothing about what kind of wheel would be ideal for me since I had no experience on a wheel and didn't know what kind of yarn I'd like spinning (buly, lace weight etc), I was looking for a used Babe (the PVC wheel) at about half off the retail price and I found it in about 3 weeks of checking the pages daily. I am very happy with it.
The trouble with purchasing without Paypal is there is little recourse if the sale turns out wrong though. But there were listings local to me and to other family members so I considered those.
I also checked craig's list alot and after a found my wheel, I saw some incredible deals in my area. It just took constant checking. The craig's list prices were the best because the market was so wide. For instance, a Ashford Kiwi for 100.00 and Ashford Traditional for 125.00. I still check in once in a while even though I'm happy with my Babe because there might be one in my area that I can't pass up.
hth
#6 of 17 Old 12-18-2005, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

The truth is: I've never used paypal and I'm scared to (heard you are supposed to link it to your bank account (guess I could set up a different account for it).

I learned on an ashford traditional double drive. (I'm trying the local freecycle groups first since this is a pretty old fashioned area )

Orthodox Mama
#7 of 17 Old 12-18-2005, 11:17 PM

Freecycle might work. And that idea of setting up a separate bank account just for online purchases is a great idea. I know more than a few people that do this. (I, of course, always have so little in my bank account I don't really have to worry about it too much.)
Good luck in your search! I love spinning and became addicted almost as soon as I started on my spindle. Now I've exchanged yarn hoarding for fiber hoarding.
#8 of 17 Old 12-18-2005, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

I understand being tight on funds...the reason I freecycle and thrift shop. I enjoy giving my odd ends to those types of places also. I would have to find the extra to open up another account...not happening soon as we just moved across country.

Orthodox Mama
#9 of 17 Old 12-19-2005, 03:27 AM

I have a Babe starter wheel and upgraded to an Ashford Joy. I've been spinning for about 6 years. The secret to spinning thicker yarns is not to draft the wool roving/top what have you, too finely and to treddle slower.

You might want to look into your local spinners/weavers guild. I know mine has a few wheels and looms that they rent out for about $5/month. It may be a good idea to try out a few different wheels first before you buy.

Also, buying a wheel sight unseen (through craigslist or freecycle) is a bit of a gamble since every wheel has its own quirks. Wooden wheels are prone to warping (therefore not spinning smoothly) if they haven't been stored right or used. Some older wheels have leather attachments or cords which turn brittle and stiff over time too, and may need replacing. Always try out a wheel first before you buy! HTH...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#10 of 17 Old 12-19-2005, 03:57 AM

I'm a spinner. Something so primitive (read primal) about washing raw wool and carding and dying and spinning and THEN knittng an article of clothing. It's heaven!
#11 of 17 Old 12-19-2005, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I appreciate the comments. I'll be contacting the local guild today to see if they have any rentals. (on the freecycle note...I was just thinking any working wheel would be better than none. I live in a heavily populated amish/old order area. Our landlord makes spindles-any kind of round pole like things for chairs and such...and hubby is apprenticing in a cabinet shop...so options for repair should be good here as well).

Orthodox Mama
#12 of 17 Old 12-19-2005, 12:31 PM

i'm a hand spinner--mostly high whorl, and although i'm really new to it, i'm enjoying it a lot. i just finished spinning some soy silk mixed with wool for an art project and love it and also have a scarf almost done -- knitting as i spin.

i would LOVE to learn to use a wheel. i'm not sure if there is a guild or even classes available down here, but it's on my shortlist of things to do. just curious--what is considered a good, but not outrageously expensive wheel? i've been lusting after the photos in a catalog i have, but i haven't even started doing research about wheels as i'm afriad i'll just have to have one as soon as i do.
#13 of 17 Old 12-19-2005, 03:29 PM

I think Ellp is right about perhaps knowing a little something about wheels before you purchase. I was lucky.
Here's a link to guilds all over (from the wonderful Interweave Press).
http://www.interweave.com/spin/resou...ing_guilds.asp
just click on state

I have yet to contact one of the guilds near me but I'm so happy to have signed up for 2 spinning classes at the Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat. I'm hoping to make some connections with local spinners.
Also yarna nd fiber stores that sell wheels often have beginning classes. My local one, Weaving Works, in Seattle let class participants who don't have a wheel yet, try out their different wheels. I imagine that must be the case with most shops. It seems to be the majority of spinners opinions that it is important to try out different wheels before you buy.
I was lucky doing it my way..ie buying an inexpensive wheel before I decided which one I really want.
hth
#14 of 17 Old 12-19-2005, 06:06 PM

Note: spinning and weaving and dying and knitting is for FUN. If you are thinking lets buy a wheel and some sheep and spin for profit... well not going to happen! (many details left out here... but trust me not going to happen)

For a NEW lower-cost wheel I like the Baynes (from NZ, about $300) or the Lendrum. I have done great with USED spinning wheels and looms on the net. Never bought one new!

For a low-cost sheep or goat, look at the Housecleaning pages or under "farm" at petfinder.com. Just check out cost-of-ownership first! You can also get a non-breeder male alpaca for about $500. But you need 2!

I have really really enjoyed spinning and knitting and felting. And I would love to weave if I did not have to warp the loom! I would wtrite more but DS is slinging 1500 pennies around. Yikes!
#15 of 17 Old 12-19-2005, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Definately just as a project for our family. My sil and mil crochet (I have proven after a childhood full of grandmotherly lessons that I am completely incompacitated in that arena. Some say lefties can and have done it...not this one! ). I would like for my daughters to learn to spin and knit. MIL has already stated that she would use wool from me in a heartbeat if I really got into spinning...so none of it would go to waste.

We don't own land, so I wouldn't be keeping sheep. There is an amishman up the road that keeps sheep...I plan on speaking with his wife about them some. They are already familiar with my inlaws and thus I wouldn't be considered a total stranger.

I've already done extensive work in dressmaking, quilting, and VERY extensive study and work in embroidery over the years. I'm just trying to branch out. I love the looms, but you're right...I also despise warping...otherwise making tartans would be right up my alley. I may eventually get one (I have a traveler, but it's clumsey...I would insist on a quality stand alone) just so my girls and I could have more experience with it.

Orthodox Mama
#16 of 17 Old 12-20-2005, 02:30 PM

MommaDuck... are you in Ohio, PA or ???

We are in York PA... no Amish in our neighborhood though! Some farm/museums have wool at very low cost too... some examples are the Landis Valley Museum and Hopewell Furnace in PA. I love Hopewell Furnace for the apple picking!

http://www.nps.gov/hofu/directions.html

I have only bought wool carded lately... though I am now turning my 10-year old fleeces into felted dolls. Still felts great even if its too sticky to spin!
#17 of 17 Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

We're in Lancaster County...the heart of it all!!!

Orthodox Mama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page