Diapercuts PUL (+ your cheap PUL sources) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2006, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just went to Diaper Cuts to look at PUL prices. They seem VERY cheap, is it a much smaller cut than normal or something? I need to get some PUL and I'm trying to find the cheapest possible that I can buy at a store (don't have the time or resources to search it out in thrift shops). Is there a place cheaper than this and if not, is this a good place to buy from? Thanks!

Mama to two boys and a girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 02:51 AM

I LOVE Diapercuts. It is cheapest if you can get it from her by the yard, but her cuts are plenty big enough. If it is 60 inches across I can get 5 medium pockets out of a 22 inch long piece (or 4 out of a 1/2 a yard). She has great soft silky PUL. I have been very pleased with it.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

So how wide is a normal yard of fabric? Is it a yard across and a yard long? Sorry if that's a stupid question And the PUL that you buy, is it a special kind (I noticed that she has different kinds) or is it just the regular 1 mil stuff?

Old 01-03-2006, 01:07 AM

A yard of PUL (solid) is usually 36" long by 60" wide. A yard of printed PUL is usually 36" long by 44/45" wide (the width of most fabrics you buy at the fabric store). I buy my PUL through a coop on yahoo called cradledincloth. It takes 2-3 months to get from order time to when I get it, but I think the cost savings is worth it. The only PUL I've bought retail was 2 yards from diapershop.com.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:11 PM

If you are looking at her PUL cuts for $3.50, remember that you get a piece that is 21" x 20" - enough to make one diaper. That's why it seems so inexpensive. The other option is to get it by the yard from her for $10, which will give you a piece that is 36" x 42" - 45" (for printed PUL). You can probably get at least 4 diapers out of a piece like that - depending on the size you are making. The advantage of buying the smaller cuts for $3.50 is that you can get a variety of colors/patterns for your diapers without having to buy a whole yard.

I've bought most of my PUL from coops, so I'm not much help as to other places to buy it.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:44 PM

3.50 for 1 diaper just does NOT seem cheap to me at all. I can get a full 60 width yard from OSDS for $9 and get 6 diapers instead of one. Even with printed pul I get 4 larges from 1 yard and 1 yard =$7
Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 PM

I think A Cut Above Fabrics is a little cheaper with their diaper cuts. I've ordered some cute stuff from them in the past.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtladyfare
3.50 for 1 diaper just does NOT seem cheap to me at all. I can get a full 60 width yard from OSDS for $9 and get 6 diapers instead of one. Even with printed pul I get 4 larges from 1 yard and 1 yard =$7
Righto - you pay more for the ability to have more colors for your diapers. We used to offer diaper cuts and it drove us crazy, cutting all those small pieces. It was easier to just offer yardage and allowed us to keep the retail prices competitive. It's extra work to cut diaper cuts so they're going to be more expensive than just buying a whole yard but you do get more diaper colors (you know, if you don't want six aios of the same color, yk?)
Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks. I think I'll probably stick to buying it by the yard for now

Old 01-05-2006, 12:24 AM

I understand the whole thing with not wanting 6 identical diapers. there should be a pul swap for just trading diaper cuts LOL
Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 AM

^ great idea!!

I was wondering if it was a "deal" or not too, thanks for the explanation mamas!!

User Tag List