You all rock!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-04-2006, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You girls are amazing. I did read a ton before I first posted but still I'm impressed - I know some boards freak out when people post questions that should be obvious or have already been covered at some point. Thanks for being patient. I'm sure it might get a little tedious always hearing the same questions but everybody was new at some point, right? Woo!!

I got thinking about it and really, even diapers that have a print outer are going to be covered. By the clothing. So I decided to stop being so sticky on that preference and I will not obsess about having pretty covered diapers. I think what I will do too is just do a fitted first like
this and a fleece cover like this . Just to figure out the process a little before I jump right into the whole sewing diapers thing.

I was all excited yesterday morning and picked up some fleece remnants while I was in Walmart however upon further reading here I realize that I have no idea what type of fleece they are or if they'll be suitable. I did pick up some solid flannel too though so hopefully that will come in handy. I'll chop up a few baby blankets as well. No diaper sewing will happen for another few days though as I'm working the rest of this week and all next week. Maybe if I get my house in order and stuff put away (from a re-arrange) I can tackle one this weekend. Gotta set up the new sewing machine (Christmas gift) first.

Thanks again. This is now my most-frequented board.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#2 of 14 Old 01-04-2006, 03:52 PM

This board does rock, and the women here are so very helpful and nice. This is one of my favorite places to come (the Pin sewing board also has amazing moms).

But they are responsible for my diaper addiction!
#3 of 14 Old 01-04-2006, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like you're off to a good start! The Walmart fleece remnants are LIKELY a good waterproof outer layer, unless they're super thin. I don't know if Walmart even has microfleece? I've never seen it there anyway. But their regular fleece works well. Beeps uses the $2.74/yd stuff. I've used the one that's more than that, but I got it out of the remnants bin so it was 30% off. It only needs 1 layer, whereas the $2.74/yd stuff requires two layers.

And don't worry about newbie questions. Many of us were posting the same questions not so long ago! I've only been making diapers for about 3 months now.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#4 of 14 Old 01-05-2006, 04:39 AM

Yep, I'm loving this board too The other day I asked probably 5 questions in one night, then some more a couple days later and not even one person freaked out! If it weren't for this board I would have absolutely no idea what to do with any of my diaper making, so THANKS ladies!!!

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#5 of 14 Old 01-05-2006, 01:51 PM

i usewalmarts cheap fleece inside with no issues (thin 2.44 stuff) nak
#6 of 14 Old 01-06-2006, 02:14 AM

Quote:
I got thinking about it and really, even diapers that have a print outer are going to be covered. By the clothing. So I decided to stop being so sticky on that preference and I will not obsess about having pretty covered diapers.
I know what you mean...

My answer to that dillemma was just to use prefolds and really cute covers. I have been lucky enough to find the CPF for about a dollar a dipe. Although I will admit that I bought atleast a dozen dyed CPF's from Sunflower Derrieres, because her prices rock. I have been buying covers, new and used for my DD smallest size, but have begun to make them now that she is in the medium size.

But it is so hard to pass up all those gorgeous cotton prints and flannels for the fitted dipes.

I did use the instructions you link to for a fleece cover, but for some reason I can't get the leg holes right. My sewing machine is a PITB. So I decided to go with wrap style covers in fleece and PUL. I have used the fleece from Walmart and it works fine. But my DD is small yet, so maybe not a very heavy wetter.
#7 of 14 Old 01-08-2006, 12:59 PM

Hi Peggy!
#8 of 14 Old 01-08-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Steph!! I just left you a comment on your blog.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#9 of 14 Old 01-08-2006, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

$1.44 fleece at WM?? I was at mine the other day and the cheapest they had was $9.49 or something. It was over $8 for sure. I don't know what kind it was but even with the exchange (I'm in Canada), it couldn't have been the $1.44 that you're all talking about. How come there's no cheap stuff up here?

#10 of 14 Old 01-08-2006, 02:53 PM

because it's Canada...
#11 of 14 Old 01-08-2006, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Sucks, doesn't it?

Did you get my PM, Beth? You said you may have a few resources/leads as to
where to find stuff up here? I've been looking online and found a couple but maybe you have some different ones.

#12 of 14 Old 01-09-2006, 11:59 AM

Oh could you let me in on that canadian secret?!?!?!
#13 of 14 Old 01-09-2006, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Laura:

I'll forward you the pm Beth sent me if it's alright with her. Don't know why it wouldn't be but I'll check.

And did/do you post on the Canada board on SK?? Your siggy details seem familiar.

#14 of 14 Old 01-10-2006, 01:46 PM

Peggy: I used to post on the SK Canada board, under the same name too. Now I just have too many boards that I try to keep up with and not enough time!! IYKWIM!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page