Things I've learned so far in diaper making - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 01-12-2006, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me too! I haven't actually used a wool cover yet, but I've got tons of wool to make covers and longies with!
#32 of 40 Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

bumping to add another

Just when you finally make one good one, life will stall your progress one way or another. My way? Catching dd's head cold and slight fever.

Editing to add - didn't stop me from buying more fabric!
#33 of 40 Old 01-16-2006, 01:21 PM

That going into goodwill 'just to look' will always result in leaving with AT LEAST one if not 3 sweaters that will make great longies. Now what to do w/ all the bodies of those sweaters?

Had to add: I went into the SA the other day looking for 2 sweaters to make into longies for a fundraiser and found 3. One is absolutely beautiful! When I showed a few friends they thought I was nuts for even thinking of cutting up the sweater. It took 3 of them to convince me to 'try' out the sweater as well a sweater before I cut it up!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#34 of 40 Old 01-16-2006, 01:34 PM

I have made several different types of diapers including 28 made from old t-shirts. They make wonderful diapers, but I have been looking for a pattern for water-proof pants to put over them. Anyone have any ideas of where to find one?
#35 of 40 Old 01-16-2006, 02:35 PM

mossna...i just use my diaper pattern for waterproof covers and just make it a little bigger than the pattern...has worked great for 3 yrs and counting...
#36 of 40 Old 01-16-2006, 04:49 PM

That there is always more to learn. I have read everything i have found and i still don't know everything. Thank god for this board because i think that i have learned more here than anywhere else. Thank you everyone for being so helpful with all of my questions. I don't know if i would have even tryed to sew a diaper with out this board
#37 of 40 Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 PM

I laughed lots!
I am so with you all,especially on the one about every textile object you come across in day to day life becomes a potential diaper!
I am really turning into a diaper bore.
My friends and family are sick of me,my 8year old son is telling everyone I am mad

#38 of 40 Old 01-16-2006, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peekyboo
Just when you finally make one good one, life will stall your progress one way or another. My way? Catching dd's head cold and slight fever.
Yep, that happened to us this last week! DS got a cold, and the next day I came down with it. : We're STILL getting rid of it, and it's been a week! I'm afraid mine is turning into a sinus infection even. Ugh. But I actually got started on a diaper today!

Now I just need to order more fabric... And snaps! I just realized today that I'm almost out of snaps!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#39 of 40 Old 01-17-2006, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

boscopup - I'm still trying to get rid of the headcold, which brings us to point #485

Never try to start on a diaper at 10 pm at night when you barely slept the night before, spent 6 hours running errands with your energy-draining five year old, to the point that you had to stop at Starbucks to get a thing of caffiene to make sure you stayed awake for the drive home, since you were the driver.

Yeah, if you attempt to make a diaper after that, first you'll sew the elastic on with the wrong stitch (all the while thinking "Gee, I don't remember the stitch being like that.") And then after that, you'll go to serge it and get so caught up in how well you're serging, you don't notice that while your stitches are gorgeous, your fabric isn't lined up right and you took too much off the corners, so you don't even have a wing on one side...
#40 of 40 Old 01-17-2006, 11:58 AM

Thank you for the advice. So far, I have mostly made prefolds. I have made a few fitteds, but I really like the pattern I found for prefolds. I went to one of the resale shops here in town, and they donate all their "unsellable" t-shirts to me to make diapers out of. I have also been able to decorate the plainer ones with iron ons. My husband is a Wile E. Coyote freak, so I have ironed some downloaded pics of the coyote on the backs of some of the diapers. It is very cute, and provides somewhat of a waterproof barrier.

I have some old raincoats the other kids outgrew and won't wear, they are the perfect material for "rubber pants". I just needed to come up with some sort of pattern. (Other than tearing apart a pair of baby bloomers that is).

The few fitted diapers I have made, came out either way too huge, or way too small. I am still trying to find the perfect pattern, and perfect it so they come out the way I want. We have TONS of extra wash cloths, and I am using those for the padding for the fitted diapers. I think they are a bit too stiff, but they should soften with wear and washing. Especially with bleach! The t-shirt prefolds are so much softer and absorbant. I have even made a bunch of sanitary pads and breast pads for myself. They are VERY comfy, and work wonderfully. At first, I thought "yuck!" but I really love them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page