Things I've learned so far in diaper making - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're using velour, be prepared to be covered in fluff by the end of it all.

The soundtrack to "Bend It Like Beckham" is great to sew by.

Ipods are great to have while sewing. Just make sure you keep the earphone cord out of reach of the scissors (had a near miss.)

It's easier to cut fabric while folded in half than around the whole piece.

When instructions tell you to pull the elastic tight, that means pull it until you think it's going to snap apart.

That soft squishy thing under my foot as I stood to cut more fabric was the cat's tail (he's forgiven me now.)

When tracing another diaper for a pattern, remember to trace it wider than the actual diaper or else you'll finish sewing and realize that you've made a diaper that would fit a 6 month old for your 30 month old.

When grabbing random objects to use as weights for your fabric, make sure the bottoms are clean.

When you start going cross eyed, stop. Or else you'll end up with one funky looking soaker pad without the top layer that keeps baby's bum soft and dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 02:57 AM

#3 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 03:07 AM

Thanks! Needed a giggle! ...& reassurance that I'm not the only one.
#4 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I hear ya on the velour! I have to clean out my machine after each session of sewing that stuff!

For the elastic... that goes for polybraid/swimsuit elastic, but NOT Lastin! You want Lastin to only be stretched to a certain point. But yeah, the other stuff you stretch until you can't stretch anymore.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 AM

May I add?

*Just when you think you've gotten the perfect "system" figured out, you'll think of something new & decide to sew up a whole new stash (& then you won't want to use any of your "old" ones)!

*9 times out of 10, DC will "test out" the new diaper you were just trying on for fit!

*If you use applix (velcro), you will eventually start to obsess about buying a snap press-- just do it!

*When you get tired, stop! You are more likely to cut wrong, sew the elastic on the wrong side, or put on a socket when you needed a stud (doh!), when you're tired! 'Course, you'll make all these mistakes at some point, anyway, but still...

*You know you're obsessd with making diapers when you walk through every store (grocery store, thrift store, Nordstrom...) and eye each piece of fabric, towel or waterproof fiber & wonder whether you could use it in your diaper making (you know that's how some mama figured out microfiber towels! She was probably rooting around in the garage for rags & found her DH's car polishing stash! ).

*You know you're obsessed #2: You find yourself eyeing that cashmere sweater in your closet & thinking,"Well, I don't really wear it that often anyway!".

*#3: You learn how to knit JUST so you can make wool soakers someday.

#6 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 01:24 PM

You're not kidding about the velour---or the cat! Glad the ipod cord was a near miss! I've accidentally sliced through my pattern templates on my cutting mat more than once : --you think I'd learn!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#7 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
*If you use applix (velcro), you will eventually start to obsess about buying a snap press-- just do it!
Already have, but since dh bought me a serger (happy anniversary) I think I need to hold off on the snap press until I at least make a diaper I like

Oh, and another one -

When people tell you to make a tester diaper out of old fabric instead of your nice expensive stuff - listen to them. They're wise and know what they're talking about.
#8 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 02:18 PM

#9 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 02:43 PM

LOL Michelle I have been obsessing about a snap press for a long time
#10 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 06:45 PM

This is ALL so true.
#11 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 07:18 PM

I'll have to keep all that in mind. I've yet to start my first diaper.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#12 of 40 Old 01-10-2006, 10:21 PM

I'm still LMAO over the cat's tail thing! LOLOLOL!!

The velour mess doesn't bother me as much as the terrycloth mess!! OMG, I made ONE diaper with terrycloth over a year ago and I swear, I'm still cleaning up navy blue loopies!

I'm *so* glad I'm not the only one who accidentally goes rotary on her templates! LOL!!
#13 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 12:28 AM

I just ordered a snap press, maybe we could share..I really want a serger. I have yet to make a Aio that doesnt wick onto the outter fabric! I may just go with practing with fitteds for a while!
Jackie
#14 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 12:42 AM

I finally just got my snap press (thanks to dad who works in the fabric industry and has cheaper access to them)

May I add..

when you go to the fabric store "just to look" and come out with $100 of fabric you just had to to have, even though you've still got 12 dipes ahead of them to sew before you can cut these out (those batiks were just too cute to pass up!)
#15 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 12:54 AM

I've obsessed about a snap press and we don't even LIKE snap diapers!

I fully support the 'don't try to do something when you're tired' thing.

I'll also add:
* when you're in a hurry and only have a couple of minutes to sew, your machine will ALWAYS act up.

* You'll always run out of the right size of aplix or the elastic you need when you've got one tab or one leg left to go.

* Seam rippers are your best friends and even if you have 8 of them, you won't be able to find them on your sewing table.

* You might think that you are only getting a small bit of fabric but in seconds, you'll have outgrown your storage space.

*needles only snap when you don't have another one.

* I have several spools of thread in a rainbow of colours and still can't find the right colour when I go to sew (especially when I want to hide my 'straight' lines!)

good idea for a thread! The cat tail is still making me chuckle!
#16 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

I have more now, lol!

For heaven's sake, don't wear a baggy sleeved cardigan while trying to sew. It'll get caught up in pins and nearly get sewn into the diaper too!

There is a reason why a serger comes with a whole set of its own tools.

And when using said serger, the tweezers of all things will become your best friend.

Tweezers are good for threading the serger because you don't want your fingers around those needles and blades while the cat (who may be out for revenge after the tail incident) is walking around the pedal and the machine is still on.

Without fail, when you have one last little piece of velcro to sew on, the bobbin will become possessed, causing you to have to rethread the thing several times.
#17 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmamomma
I finally just got my snap press (thanks to dad who works in the fabric industry and has cheaper access to them)

May I add..

when you go to the fabric store "just to look" and come out with $100 of fabric you just had to to have, even though you've still got 12 dipes ahead of them to sew before you can cut these out (those batiks were just too cute to pass up!)
and where's the friendly MDC Hook-up to this discount?!
#18 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 01:38 AM

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#19 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 02:11 AM

Too funny! I ALWAYS forget to make sure my 'weights' are clean and I get sticky templates/fabric

And why is it we try to convince ourselves that we really can sew while tired?
#20 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbyloos Mommy
And why is it we try to convince ourselves that we really can sew while tired?
Because late at night after the kids go to bed is our only chance to do this?
#21 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekyboo
Tweezers are good for threading the serger because you don't want your fingers around those needles and blades while the cat (who may be out for revenge after the tail incident) is walking around the pedal and the machine is still on.
I love those tweezers too!!! And as soon as a cat/child/dog goes underneath the table, I very quickly turn the machine off!!! I'm so scared one of them will step on the pedal. Hasn't happened YET, but I'm trying to prevent it from happening! Also, I usually don't do anything around the needles unless the machine is off, again because I'm paranoid. It's probably a good paranoia to have.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#22 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 01:56 PM

This thread is so funny I just couldn't pass it up....

*Keep all fabrics away from candles
*measure twice cut once

Jenn
#23 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 03:07 PM

*if the bobbin thread is going to run out it will inevitably be while sewing on lastin and then you won't notice it has run out till you have run the length of lastin thru the machine, thus having to put even more holes in it after evil bobbin is re-wownd (sp). :
#24 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
I love those tweezers too!!! And as soon as a cat/child/dog goes underneath the table, I very quickly turn the machine off!!! I'm so scared one of them will step on the pedal. Hasn't happened YET, but I'm trying to prevent it from happening! Also, I usually don't do anything around the needles unless the machine is off, again because I'm paranoid. It's probably a good paranoia to have.

It is a good paranoia to have. I nearly shut it off, but with the machine off, the light goes out and I don't have enough light to thread the machine. I did think of getting out the flashlight, but it would probably take longer to find the flashlight than to thread the machine.

My mom has an old Pfaff and the light switch is seperate - why don't all machines do that? And why won't my mom just hand over the old Pfaff to me? And her cool old sewing cabinet that folds out for cutting space, but closes up like a cabinet? It's not like she's used either of these in ten years. I still can't believe she gave away her serger. GAVE AWAY!
#25 of 40 Old 01-11-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
My mom has an old Pfaff and the light switch is seperate - why don't all machines do that?
Oh, that'd be really nice!!! I have to turn the light on over my kitchen table so I can see better. Yeah, it's harder to see when the machine is off, but I'd rather have trouble seeing than to get my fingers stabbed by machine needles moving without my help!

Quote:
And why won't my mom just hand over the old Pfaff to me? And her cool old sewing cabinet that folds out for cutting space, but closes up like a cabinet? It's not like she's used either of these in ten years. I still can't believe she gave away her serger. GAVE AWAY!
Ugh! My mom has a really nice sewing cabinet too. Hers doesn't have a cutting table though. It looks like an armoir, with two big upper doors, then 2 small lower doors. The upper doors open, then you fold down the sewing table with the machine attached. Behind where the table folds up, there are spool holders galore on one side, and on the other side is a bunch of shelves. Then in the bottom portion of the cabinet, there's another shelf. My mom keeps patterns and scrap fabric down there.

She hasn't sewn in YEARS. I'm typically the one to use her sewing machine, not her! And now that I have my own, I don't use hers very often.

#26 of 40 Old 01-12-2006, 01:31 AM

This is great!

Yeah...be prepared to be covred in fuzzies if you felt a sweater. I felted one and then pulled it out of the washer and shook out the gazillion little fuzz balls. It made a huge pile on the floor. I told DH to come look at what happened to the sweater. You should have seen the look on his face.
#27 of 40 Old 01-12-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennP
*measure twice cut once

Jenn
Don't you mean 'measure twice cut once, realize you've done it wrong, swear, measure again'?
#28 of 40 Old 01-12-2006, 02:42 AM

these are so funny, yet so true. I'll add

*those rotary cutters can cut your finger OFF in .02 seconds.

Katina, Mom to Nathan 12/6/00 and Zachary 8/10/03
Rachel born still 9-19-09
#29 of 40 Old 01-12-2006, 03:05 AM

Quote:
*#3: You learn how to knit JUST so you can make wool soakers someday.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#30 of 40 Old 01-12-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

You think about learning how to knit wool soakers...and you don't even use wool!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page