First Attempt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-10-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
READ AND LEARN!

I completed my first diaper today. Diaper and soaker pad, actually and they are horrible! I used the Very Baby pattern, which is just fine. My only complaint is there is no measurement or tip to find the measurement for the elastic.

The soaker pad I decided to zig-zag around (no serger). It ended up all lumpy and there was extra fabric around the edges because of that but when trimmed it's OK. Just not nice and flat.

The diaper is pretty much worthless. I didn't want to zig-zag all the way around it. It ended up lumpy just like the soaker pad. Also, I sewed the elastic for the back onto the front and then wondered what I had done to end up with 2 inches extra elastic.I used a leftover piece of flannel for the top print and two layers of gerber flats for the 2 absorbant layers. Big mistake. Two layers of gauzy cheap diapers are not absorbant looking at all. I also think this is the reason for all the lumpiness - the fabric was shifting and I kept having to readjust.

So, back to the sewing machine. I'll post a picture in a bit if anyone cares to see this monstrosity. How many diapers did YOU make before you got one that looked good and worked well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
How many diapers did YOU make before you got one that looked good and worked well?
I'll let you know when I finally make one that does. Actually on my third and fourth attempt I made a not-so-pretty but usuable diapers. They're our "when nothing else is clean" diapers, lol!

See my post entitled "ARGH!" just below, which will let you know you're not alone in your frustrations. As for elastic placement, basically if you start at the beginning of the leg curve and end at the end of the leg curve, you should be fine.
#3 of 6 Old 01-10-2006, 08:23 PM

To encourage you then my second attempt already looked much better than the first. The elastication wasn't good though. Way too stiff. My third attempt was a nappi-nippa T-shaped terry-diaper and it WORKS. It is blue - and still in use My fourth was similar cause I liked the pattern so much.
I even made an instruction here.
Then I tried making a fleece cover.. that didn't work. Then made a fleece pocket instead - not pretty but it works and is the only diaper in my stash that works night-time on my son..
Dont get discouraged - you will get the hang of it soon too.
Oh and please do post your first attempt.
Here is my first
Good luck..

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#4 of 6 Old 01-10-2006, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My first diaper would have been useable, but the butt was WAY too narrow. After that, they've all been useable, even if they're ugly. For zig-zagging over the edge, I highly recommend an overedge foot. It just makes it SO easy to get it perfect every time.

For elastic - don't measure. Just tack it down on one end, then stretch it as far as you can (if you're using polybraid or swimsuit elastic - for Lastin, stretch until the stretch "changes" - don't go beyond that point), then sew either a straight stitch, a zig-zag, or a 3-step zig-zag. I do the latter. When you get to the end point, tack that down, THEN cut your elastic.

I know it's hard to go from the apparel world where you're told how much elastic you need, but with diapers, you just leave it on the long piece and sew it on, cutting after you've sewed it on. Much quicker and easier that way, and you don't have to worry about running out. If you're stretching it enough (using the rules above), it will work fine.

You might try doing the turn & topstitch method for the VB. It has instructions in there for doing that. But I can't say enough about the overedge foot. I can't sew a straight line to save my life, but I've made an entire VB fitted by zig-zagging with the overedge foot.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 6 Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 PM

don't worry--they will get better

I don't have a serger either. I turn and topstitch when I use the VB pattern.
#6 of 6 Old 01-11-2006, 03:30 AM

They do get better

My 1st-3rd diaper was my own pattern and they do not work so well. The 1st one I gave up on halfway through and never finished.. not worth it. The 2nd the wings are too narrow and short. The 3rd she still wears, and if I would change the velcro, as in add a 2nd strip, that one would be perfect.

My 4th is really great except I didnt' catch all the layers so there are some edges sticking out and fraying.

My 5th is awesome except I tried side aplix and it came out not so geat.

My 6th is the best yet, the only flaw is when topstitching I caught some of my inner fabric so you can see the white on the outer.

My 7th one I'm working on, and it's going to be a pocket, which I've never tried. So we shall see

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page