Mothering Forum banner

Purple charm quilt

6K views 115 replies 16 participants last post by  Nora Levine 
#1 ·
My neighbor gave me a chain letter for quilters--you send out two 6x6 inch squares of purple fabric, add your name, etc, etc. I'm not a fan of chain letters myself, plus mathematically I don't think the numbers work quite right, but I think it would be neat to have a quilt with fabrics that others chose.

So how about it? I'm thinking we could all go and get some 100% cotton fabric with some purple on it, whether it be checked, floral, patterened, solid, stripe, etc--whatever speaks to us-- cut the squares and have a swap.

I guess it would depend on how many people wanted to participate, how many squares we would each have to contribute. I'd be willing to collect the squares and then send them back out to everyone. I was thinking a 72 block quilt, but that's negotiable.

Pm me if you're interested.

See less See more
#10 ·
So far I'm counting 8 of us that are interested. No one has commented on the 72 block size, so I'm guessing that that is ok with everyone? I'm thinking that we will each have to cut 72 blocks out of our chosen fabric. Dividing out the fabric could be done a couple of ways, but I prefer this:

I compile a list of all our addresses and we could mail a letter to each woman participating with our squares in them, which would be cool IMO because then we would be getting 7 (or however many) letters in the mail with different fabrics which would make for fun mail.

I figure we'll wait till the end of the day tomorrow, and whoever is in by then is in. I'm so happy that people are interested in doing this!

Helen

#13 ·
It does not seem like there are many people interested. If you want more people, maybe we should cross post this in co-op and swaps.

Or if the ideas was the 72 block quilt, then we should each pick 2 or 3 fabrics to cut squares from.

Just ideas

#15 ·
So far I have names and addresses for 8 people that want to participate. If we go with the 72 block quilt, we would have to send 9 squares to each of the others on the list, keeping 9 for ourselves. I don't mind if people send more than one fabric. I checked what I already have, and I don't have purple, so I'm going to go out and buy some and send everyone the same.

I don't know what to do about cross-posting this elsewhere. My hesitation is just wanting to get the list out so that people can start swapping.

Helen

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdinaL
Do we have a deadline? Just so I know how to juggle finances...

Also, are we shooting for red purples or blue purples? Since the two together can look horrible!

i was wondering the same on both points. i'd vote for blue purple, myself, but that's just me!

additionally, i haven't ever pre-washed my fabrics, so... i'm wondering if you use Fray Check or something to keep them from coming apart, or what?

very excited!

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by celesterra
additionally, i haven't ever pre-washed my fabrics, so... i'm wondering if you use Fray Check or something to keep them from coming apart, or what?
Normally I zigzag or serge the fabric before prewash, so they don't fray in the wash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.