Horray! I made my first CD.. but I need advice.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made my first dipe using the Ottobredesign pattern. It turned out decent...but I still a great deal of practice...

My problem.... the elastic I used was entirely toooo wimpy.. I pulled it as tight as I could while I zig zig stitched it in, but it is just not creating a tight elastic fit.

I bought the elastic from Walmart and it is a 1/4" wide elastic.

What elastic do you use that is the most successful and where do you get it?

I have included a link to my new dipe... please critique it... I need all the help I can get...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...pic1-12-06.jpg
#2 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 AM

I think it's very cute!

As for the elastic, I think many girls here use at least 1/2" or 3/4" though I could be quite wrong on that. I have yet to make my first diaper (haven't set up the sewing machine yet) so I can't speak from any personal experience.

edited to add that maybe it was the way that you sewed it in. How big was your zigzag stitch? Did you sew just one edge of the elastic or down the middle? Maybe that would make a difference??

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#3 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM

For a first diaper that looks awesome! You must have some sewing experience from earlier? If you haven't then I rest my case and bury my sewingmachine
For the elastic I started off buying normal thin elastic but it didn't stretch enough. Then I went and bought it by the meter instead. I just took a tour around the shop and found an elastic that felt nice and stretchy. It was ofcourse more expensive - converted to $ i would guess around 1 £ a meter. But since I only use around 20 cms for a diaper I thought that was ok.
It was wider than the one I was using before but I just use a wide zig-zag to stitch it with.

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#4 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 11:30 AM

Very nice job!!! It is so exciting to accomplish something like this!

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#5 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 12:00 PM

Adorable first diaper! I use 3/8 inch knit, swimsuit, or braided elastic with knit and swimsuit being my favorite. I buy StretchRite brand from fabric stores, but I also have some cotton swimsuit elastic from OSDS that I love. I think 1/4 inch is ok for small newborn diapers, but for the bigger babes it is best to go a bit bigger I think. You could also have received a bad batch of elastic... But anyway, you are doing great and welcome to the addiction!
#6 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 01:13 PM

I use the 1/4 inch Lastin, but according to one of the diaper-making supply sites, if you're making a diaper out of bulkier materials (like fleece) then you should use the 3/4 inch Lastin. The Very Baby pattern suggested the swimsuit elastic (if you check the diapershop.com site, they'll tell you which size.)

That is a very cute diaper though!
#7 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 02:01 PM

I love the stripes

Super cute, mama!
#8 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 02:28 PM

You know, my very first diaper was from the Ottobre pattern and I remember having the same problem. I think it was because the length of elastic that they specified was too long. Now I always just stretch the elastic as far as I can and just use as much as I use (if that makes any sense).

I use 1/4" polybraid or cotton swimsuit elastic and I put it on with a 3 step zig zag. I've never had any problems since then.

Cute diaper, though!
#9 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your kynd responses!!!! I was very proud of my result with acceptance of mistakes!!

I have been sewing for a couple of years.. bought a serger this year from selling patchwork clothing at festies and selling slings and lovie blankies at local craft fairs!

I just came back from Joanne's fabric (where they are having an incredible sale)) and I bought some other elastic... braided elastic at 1/2" wide. I am hoping that that isn't too wide for 0-6 month dipes.

I have also learned never to use terry cloth as an inner liner.. not only was it messy but I would have preferred something more cushier for the babies tushy!! (the babies not even here yet and I'm trying build up a nice lil stash! driving myself in the meantime!)

Have any of you used terry velour as an inner liner? Just wondering..
#10 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 05:07 PM

That is lovely!
Well done you.
#11 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
1/4" Walmart elastic has worked fine for me... I used the knit elastic, I think. You just have to stretch it REALLY tight. And you may need to adjust your stitch length/width. I use a 3-step zig-zag that's set to "4" for width and "2.5" for length. For some reason, when it was wider than that, it didn't work as well for me.

Practice sewing on some scraps of the same thickness that your diaper wil be, and see if you can get it to stretch better.

My favorite elastic is Lastin, but it's only available online, to my knowledge.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#12 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed you had 6/27/2004 after two names... is that your children's b-day?

I was born on 6/27! What a great date!!
#13 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugrMagMama
I noticed you had 6/27/2004 after two names... is that your children's b-day?

I was born on 6/27! What a great date!!

My brothers bday is the same day!
#14 of 14 Old 01-13-2006, 09:28 PM

I think that you did an awesome job!! I use 1/4" elastic and just pull as tight as possible using a straight stitch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page