Anyone know how to get Play-Doh out of carpet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-27-2003, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have red Play-Doh ground into my carpet.......fun!! Any ideas for getting the stain out other than letting it dry and hoping for the best when I vacuum, sponge, or something?
Thanks for any experience or ideas!
#2 of 5 Old 01-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Banned

Yes, oh yes, please anyone, if you know...

I just spent Saturday with the steam cleaner. It helped, but some vibrant green bits still remain. the advice on the container is totally useless. Eek.
#3 of 5 Old 01-27-2003, 06:45 PM

Best I know is to let it dry! Then take a fine tooth comb and comb through your carpet and break up all the playdough....then vacuum it up!

Moving this to the craft forum for ya! THere gotta be some playdough mammas there that have some great help for you!
#4 of 5 Old 01-28-2003, 11:30 PM

When we had Silly Putty all over the place I did an internet search on something like "silly putty stain removal" and discovered entire websites dedicated to this type of thing...unfortunately, I never bookmarked them, since I figured I'd just do another search if I needed. So, some sort of netscape search(or whatever your preferred search engine) would probably turn up some advice.

Anyway, the package says to remove as much as possible, let dry then vaccum. After it's dry you might try a stiff handwhisk broom and see if you can sweep some of it out (that way the beaters on your vacuum won't pound so much of it into the carpet). Sweep it right into a dustpan.

Test anything you do (including sweeping) in a small area first.

Water turns playdough into a vile mess. I'd avoid wetting the area.

OTOH, when dd colored all over the brand new (as in 2 days old) carpet the people who came to clean it suggested that you can clean some stains out of light colored carpet with a mix of nonsudsing ammonia and borax. I've never tried it. This was years ago, so in the event that I've got the wrong 2 cleaning agents and am advising you to make some sort of toxic gas PLEASE check with Poison Control or somesuch to make sure this is a safe mixture!

We currently have hot pink on the sculpted Berber 2 feet from here...doesn't really impress me as a problem to get up, but it probably varies by carpet type. I figured I'd vacuum it eventually. Plus, having been through the Silly Putty incident this strikes me as small potatoes....
#5 of 5 Old 02-18-2003, 03:26 AM

I ended up using a scissors! : not the best for the carpet, but it worked. Note: I did not do this with any children watching - would not want to give them any ideas!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page