writing on ceramic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2006, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to write on some ceramic pieces, but I'm not sure what kind of pen to use...

I went to my local Michaels and they had a display of ceramics (piggy banks, etc), but nothing to write on them. I asked the woman and she said that all the pens were in the art dept. Well, all I could find were sharpies, paint pens, & calligraphy pens so I bought a few sharpies. They aren't working well.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2006, 01:15 PM

I've worked in the art indusrty for over 5 years, here are my experiences:
Sharpies will wipe and wash off.
Smooth ceramic surfaces are one of the few things they (and lots of other markers and paint) will not stick to.
Try paint markers. Zig, Speedball and Posterman are all good brands. Sharpie also came out with oil based paint pens that will work.
Porcelaine 150 and Vitrea 160 are two kinds of markers made for glass. You bake the peice after writing, and it's food-safe after curing. They are expensive, but high quality.
If you can't find any, you can still use a Sharpie or Prismacolor marker, but you will need to seal the ceramic piece afterwards with a clear sealent - Michaels offers many kinds.
If you're making something that will be handled often, I would seal it anyway.
I would not recommend using any kind of marker (other than a cured glass mraker) on anything you will eat with (plates, bowls). If you're looking to personalize ceramic tableware, check your yellow pages or call around for a local ceramic shop. There are a lot of "Make and Bake's" around.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2006, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, Jen.

I'm making favors for my sister's baby shower. The theme is "Brewing Twins". I bought a bunch of tea caddies (small plates for used tea bags)and now I want to decorate them. They don't need to be foodsafe. I found some cute stamps and an "all surface" stamp ink which says it's good for ceramic and glass. But I wanted to write her name on them.

I've seen kiosks at the mall where they personalize piggy banks, etc. I wonder what they are using? I didn't expect it to be hard to find at Michaels.

Thanks again. I'll see if they have any of your suggestions.

User Tag List