What kind of elastic do you use in your diapers? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What type of elastic do you use?
lastin 11 100.00%
polybraid 18 100.00%
cotton swimsuit elastic 4 80.00%
FOE 7 100.00%
other 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first poll so I hope it works . I was wondering what type of elastic everyone uses for their diapers and why.

When I first started making diapers everything I read said lastin was the way to go, but after having the elastic snap in two diapers I am wondering if I chose the wrong kind of elastic. I heard that the regular poybraid that you get at joanns will fail really fast, but I find it MUCH easier to sew with than lastin. I use FOE for AIOs and covers and like how it works, but I think it would look funny on a fitted. What do you use?
#2 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 12:54 AM

I use 3 kinds of elastic and they all work great for me. I like Stretchrite knit elastic, Stretchrite polybraid, and the cotton swimsuit elastic they sell at OSDS. All of my elastic has held up great. The knit elastic is nice since it is softer, but the polybraid and swimsuit elastic are also great, I just use a bit more so it fits nicely.
#3 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've been mostly using Lastin and I love it! How much did you stretch the Lastin when sewing it? You want to stretch it only as far as it stretches easily. You'll feel the stretch change at one point. You want to stretch it only up to just before that point. Otherwise, it could break easily later. Also, don't stretch it fresh out of the dryer.

For thicker stuff, I'll sometimes use Polybraid or Swimsuit elastic, and those you can stretch as far as you want.

I find Lastin fairly easy to sew, except when just starting it out, it sometimes wants to slip out from underneath the foot. But once I get the end tacked down and I start my 3-step zig-zag, it usually behaves pretty well. I'll *occasionally* get it trying to come up through the slit at the front of the foot, and then I have to stop and reposition stuff. But that doesn't happen too often.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#4 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 02:25 PM

I use mainly Stretchrite polybraid elastic and haven't had a problem with it failing even in my diapers I've been using for over a year and a half! Only on diaper lost it's stretch and that's because the stitching came loose. I started out with lastin but found polybraid much easier to work with so I just stopped getting lastin.
I just started using FOE and I really like that too. I haven't tried it on anything other than single layer PUL covers, but it's easy to use and soft. The only thing I don't like about it is that if any of your diapers have Aplix the FOE will look like crap after 1 wash. I might end up switching to lycra or poly tricot binding since it doesn't pill as bad.
#5 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 03:06 PM

Right now I'm using polybraid elastic & FOE. I tried Lastin, too, and had the same problem you're having. I didn't want to waste the diapers I was sewing, so I stopped using it. Polybraid is definitely my favorite!
#6 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 03:10 PM

I use stretch rite knitted elastic and lastin.
#7 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 03:21 PM

I use polybraid in all my fitteds and aios and foe on my single-layer PUL covers.

I haven't tried Lastin, but am plenty pleased with the polybraid

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#8 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLav
I just started using FOE and I really like that too. I haven't tried it on anything other than single layer PUL covers, but it's easy to use and soft. The only thing I don't like about it is that if any of your diapers have Aplix the FOE will look like crap after 1 wash. I might end up switching to lycra or poly tricot binding since it doesn't pill as bad.
That's a good point. The pilling can be awful. According to OSDS's website, the 5/8" they have won't pill even when washed with aplix, but I haven't tried it yet. I've only used 1", since that's really easy to sew.

On your 1-layer PUL covers, what do you use for reinforcement of the aplix/snap area? I'm finding that I would rather have a single layer of PUL that doesn't hold smells, rather than a layer of PUL and a layer of suedecloth (or microfleece) that smell bad once the pee wicks through them. I can reuse my PUL covers several times without them smelling. Granted, I'm basing this opinion on a fleece/suedecloth nighttime cover with extra stinky toddler pee... For some reason, DS's pee is stinking worse at night than usual, and it's not the diapers - it's the pee. I have already stripped, used Dawn, stripped again, used bleach, stripped again, etc. The diapers are fine. The fleece/suedecloth cover smells horrible after one nighttime use. I'm wondering if DS needs to drink more water or something.

Anyway, back to 1-layer PUL covers... I like them, but need reinforcement for the snaps, and was wanting to do it in a nice looking manner. On the cover that I replaced Touch Tape with snaps, I didn't reinforce them, and some came through the PUL, so I had to put little squares of suedecloth. It's a real patchwork job, but it works. Now I need to do something that actually looks nice. I have some navy PUL here, so I need to make another cover. I was thinking of maybe cutting extra pieces of PUL that would be sewn into the FOE along with the main body piece, and would just stretch out to the snap area. Like across the front, it would start at the top of the front and come down just below the snaps, then on the tabs I'd have a piece at the end that again is held in by the FOE but only stretches out to just past the snaps.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#9 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think that after I finish using this batch of lastin I'm going to be moving to polybraid. (If anyone loves lastin out there, I'd be willing to trade for polybraid )

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
I have some navy PUL here, so I need to make another cover. I was thinking of maybe cutting extra pieces of PUL that would be sewn into the FOE along with the main body piece, and would just stretch out to the snap area. Like across the front, it would start at the top of the front and come down just below the snaps, then on the tabs I'd have a piece at the end that again is held in by the FOE but only stretches out to just past the snaps.
I think that sounds like a good idea. It would look nice and reinforce the areas you need. Please let us know how it turns out.
#10 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 05:48 PM

I really prefer Lastin

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#11 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 06:57 PM

I voted Lastin, b/c that's what I use in diapers but on my covers I use FOE .

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
That's a good point. The pilling can be awful. According to OSDS's website, the 5/8" they have won't pill even when washed with aplix, but I haven't tried it yet. I've only used 1", since that's really easy to sew.
It doesn't pill at all! It's all I use.... well, I do use the 1" on wool covers b/c I need that extra stretch, and they don't really go through the wash like the other covers do. But I have found that the 1" will pill a whole lot less if you face the non-fuzzy side out.

Anyway, OSDS's 5/8" FOE looks as good as new after every wash , you'll love it.
#12 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 10:24 PM

Ok, I guess I need to try the 5/8" FOE... Of course, I really can't buy ANYTHING else right now, since I just ordered 5 yards of velour through a co-op, have 200 sets of snaps coming later this week, and I already spent the gift certificate my dad gave me to OSDS. DH will kill me if I spend anything else right now.

I guess I should put the 5/8" FOE on my "to try next" list. Is the stuff sold in co-ops typically the same? Or is the OSDS version different? And is it still fairly easy to sew? I actually enjoy sewing 1" FOE. It just clicked with me pretty quickly.

#13 of 13 Old 01-23-2006, 10:33 PM

Boscopup...to answer your question on the reinforcement...I have used Aplix on all my covers so I don't know about snaps. For the front Aplix I cut a flap that comes up as high as where the elastic starts (I hope that makes sense). I sew the Aplix on the cover and then sew the flap along the edges to the cover. On the back I cut a piece the same size as the back and baste it to the cover as well. Then I bind the whole diaper and there are flaps in the front and back. Then I sew the Aplix tabs on and foldback tabs. The flap on the back helps the tabs not rip through and the flap in the front covers the stitches so pee doesn't wick through. And the binding covers all the raw edges! I hope that makes sense.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page