Fabric addicts: don't read this thread! =) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-26-2006, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe you already know about it, but I'm just learning about bamboo. It seems to be the perfect fabric!

I'm told it's softer than cotton, almost like silk or cashmere; it's anti-microbial, super-absorbent, quick-drying, grows without chemicals, and is the most renewable of the natural fibers. Best of all, it's not that expensive!

Here's some links about it:

http://dld123.com/about/about.php?id=A30

http://noovoodoo.net/pure_organic_ap...boo_fabric.php

http://lcweave.com/bamboo_fabric.htm

There are a couple of Yahoo groups that have bamboo co-ops going on right now, that's how I learned about it. But, the minimums are high, so I'm trying to spread the word. Wanna give it a try?

The Fabric Farm is running co-ops for 100% bamboo in french terry and french terry fleece.

ClothEssentialCoop is running co-ops for bamboo/cotton blends in fleece and french terry and bamboo/organic cotton blends in velour, jersey and interlock.

I'm going to try some of the 100% bamboo and the bamboo/oc blends, not just for diapers, but for yummy jammies and clothing for the fam.

If you're interested, spread the word! These will be custom orders, so we have to get around 500-600 yds ordered before the mill will make it for us. I think we're about 1/3 of the way there in most of the fabrics.

Good to the earth, good to baby's bottom, good to my wallet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-26-2006, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So does anyone know how bamboo compares to hemp in absorbancy and trimness? I know there are bamboo diapers out there - I've seen hyenas talk about them. I just didn't pay that much attention at the time, since there wasn't a source of bamboo around.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#3 of 14 Old 01-26-2006, 07:08 PM

I don't know about absorbancy, but of all places, Target has bamboo sheets and bamboo pillows. I felt the sheets, and they are very soft!
#4 of 14 Old 01-26-2006, 07:21 PM

This is a great co-op, I think we are almost half way there for the fleece. I'm so excited, I have 10 yards on order.
#5 of 14 Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

The Fabric Farm:

100% bamboo in french terry ($5) and french terry fleece ($6.65).

ClothEssentialCoop:

bamboo/conventional cotton blends in fleece ($7.50) and french terry ($6) and

bamboo/organic cotton blends in velour ($11), jersey (6.50) and interlock ($9.50).
#6 of 14 Old 01-26-2006, 08:22 PM

Velour, you say? I will have a lookie
#7 of 14 Old 01-26-2006, 11:31 PM

Oh no, I still have 2 yds of burley french terry to use before I'll let myself buy anymore. . .Maybe if I get my butt in gear, I'll use it all up & can get in the coop beofre the order goes out.
#8 of 14 Old 01-27-2006, 03:41 AM

Just wanted to mention that the prices at ClothEssentials include ship to me , and the FabricFarm prices don't include ship to Deanna, but they should be about the same for the 100% there
#9 of 14 Old 01-27-2006, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
ooh..... I just did our taxes yesterday and we are getting the Refund Of Our Lives (yeah, i know, it's money we earned anyway, but it feels like a bonus). After paying down credit cards considerably, dh and I are each taking a bit of 'fun money'. Bamboo fabric sounds divine!!

But ... hm... I've never joined a co-op before. I'm so clueless it's not even funny

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#10 of 14 Old 01-27-2006, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Don't worry, judybean! Just follow the links and join the groups. If you can't figure it out on your own, just send your fellow December DDC mama a PM and I'll hold your hand through the process!
#11 of 14 Old 02-04-2006, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

bump!
#12 of 14 Old 02-04-2006, 09:17 PM

Well... I bit the bullet and joined. I sure hope the minimum fills up soon. I'm not so good with being patient! (and yeah, I'm not helping the minimum a ton with my order, but gosh... I'd fill it up in a heartbeat if I could!! I can't *wait* to try bamboo!!!)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#13 of 14 Old 02-04-2006, 10:44 PM

judybean, which coop did you join? I'm keeping my eye on them, but it looks like it's going to be a while before they fill. I guess I should just put my order in and wait.
#14 of 14 Old 02-06-2006, 03:22 AM

i joined the fabric farm one... i'd ordered from the website before and had a good experience, so i figured i might as well. plus, i want to try all bamboo -- not a mix (at least not for now)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page