What is the difference between interlock & jersey? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-29-2006, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know they are both knit fabrics but what makes them different? TIA.
#2 of 7 Old 01-29-2006, 01:26 AM

Interlock is thicker than jersey. Jersey is like a lightweight t-shirt, whereas interlock is thicker... like on the beefy tees. So, in theory I would suppose that interlock has a bit more absorbtion and could possibly hold up longer. (but, this is an untested theory! just a guess )

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#3 of 7 Old 01-29-2006, 02:16 AM

Yep, exactly right. I am not in love with jersey since it is so thin and just does not seem that hardy. But interlock I am in love with. I was a big velour girl, but then I discovered the $4.50 a yard cotton interlock at OSDS and I was a changed diaper maker. It is so soft and absorbs so much. Plus I think it just feels nicer on the tush than velour. It feels like a soft comfy pair of cotton panties. I think it will be cooler during the summer. And it is stretchy, but easier to cut and measure than velour. Velour and jersey's ends always curl up and drive me crazy, but interlock is thick enough that it is flat. Try some, you will love it. I am surprised that more WAHMs don't use it rather than microfleece or velour. And the best thing is that it works great for inners or outers.
#4 of 7 Old 01-29-2006, 02:54 AM

Jersey is a "single knit" and that is why it curls up at the cut edges. It has a definite front (face) and back surface, and will also run from the cut edge with ease. Interlock is a "double knit" which makes it thicker, and will usually lay flat after cutting, does not have as noticable face and back, and usually will not run from the cut edge easily, especially with 100% cotton fiber content.

Interlock does not stretch as much as single knits, but it has some stretch in all directions. Single knits stretch a lot in the crosswise direction but usually little in the lengthwise. Single knits show a definite rib pattern, especially when stretched, and will allow some fiber migration, making it less suitable for use in toys and as doll skin. Single knits may be cut in strips 'across the goods' and used as ribbing for cuffs. Interlock is not suitable for this application.

Both kinds of knits come in many different fiber combinations and 100% cotton is the most absorbent. At $4.50/yd I would be surprised to find out that it was pure cotton, and definitely not a "long" staple cotton, which is the nicest kind - silky and soft, but also strong and resists pilling. Short staple cotton pills quite a lot, but the pills fall off, over several washings Beware of any poly/cot. blends, which stain easily and pill like crazy. The pills will be much worse than even with a short staple cotton, because the poly fiber keep the pills firmly attached. HTH.
#5 of 7 Old 01-29-2006, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberthesugarcat
I was a big velour girl, but then I discovered the $4.50 a yard cotton interlock at OSDS and I was a changed diaper maker. It is so soft and absorbs so much. Plus I think it just feels nicer on the tush than velour. It feels like a soft comfy pair of cotton panties.
Wow... When I tried velour (80/20 from Hancocks), I thought it was more comfy than my cotton panties.

I got some interlock from OSDS, and it is a very soft and comfy fabric. I look forward to using it! I plan to make some PJs with it, but also do some diapers. I'm glad to see that it's such a good inner fabric! The price is certainly good. Although I got velour from a co-op for 25 cents/yd cheaper. So it ends up being even.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#6 of 7 Old 01-30-2006, 09:52 PM

boscopup: You got velour for 4.25/yard? What co-op was that? I need some!
#7 of 7 Old 01-30-2006, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I got my velour from TheJoyOfSewing. It came in last week and she's cutting it this week. She ordered extras, so if you post to the list, you can get some of the extras. I think she ordered like 35 extra yards of royal blue, so she'll probably have plenty of that.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page