Some pics of my new pockets! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-29-2006, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to post pics of my newest Darling Diaper pockets I have sewn up this week. 1 is side snapping and the other 3 are front snapping. This is the first time I have used snaps (Snap Source) and I love them! Cotton woven outers and cotton interlock inners

4 diapers

My favorite!
#2 of 25 Old 01-29-2006, 11:47 AM

Those are great!! i wish mine would come out that good
#3 of 25 Old 01-29-2006, 12:53 PM

Wow those are super cute! You did a great job.
#4 of 25 Old 01-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Wow! Those are really good!
#5 of 25 Old 01-29-2006, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Those look great! So what did you use for the inside? You were the one that loves interlock, right? I need to try it out soon.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#6 of 25 Old 01-29-2006, 03:50 PM

1st time using snaps, huh? Id LOVE to go to snaps, but I can't afford a snap setter & I've heard the hammering kind is not easy. What did you do & was it easy? They all look great!
#7 of 25 Old 01-29-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Boscopup, I used my new cotton interlock for the inners. It comes in such great colors and it is the easiest fabric I have ever sewn with.

SabDoulaMommy, I can't justify getting the snap press either since I am not going to be making that many diapers, so I bought the snap setter from www.snapsource.com and metal snaps. I have heard they can be difficult, but I found them so easy to use, plus I can finish snap pockets faster than aplix pockets. The snaps are so much more expensive than the plastic ones that go with the snap setter, but the tool is only $9 versus the $110-120 for the snap setter and dies. And these metal ones are supposed to hold up really well, even in diapers. I really like them and don't regret not buying a snap press! I figure I will save $70 for the number of diapers I will use snaps on using the metal ones, and that is money I can spend on my fabric addiction!
#8 of 25 Old 01-29-2006, 04:38 PM

Adorable amber. Here is my latest pocket. Its outer layer cotton woven, hidden layer of PUL, (probably wont work) and inner microfleece. I made it so the microfleece rolled out just a bit so hopefully it'll work the way it should. Made it for a friend of mine.
Cotton Woven Pocket
#9 of 25 Old 01-29-2006, 05:30 PM

That's it. I want snaps.
#10 of 25 Old 01-29-2006, 05:34 PM

Wow! Those look really great!
#11 of 25 Old 01-30-2006, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I really do love the snaps too. I only have 4, yet I am using those each time first before I reach for the aplix. But my husband hates the snaps and only uses the aplix. That is one reason I did not get the snap press since he thinks I am crazy when aplix works so great for him! But that guitar print is just soooo cute. Actually, the red pocket is also a guitar print. I got a set of musical print quilting fabric from Joann's that was originally $20, but I had a 50% coupon. They are 18 x 22 which is just big enough to make a medium pocket. I think there was enough fabric to make 8 or 9 pockets.

And beepsmnms, your diaper is just adorable!!! Tell me if it leaks. I have not tried any cotton over PUL. Right now I am just into fitted pockets, so I need to have covers.
#12 of 25 Old 01-31-2006, 05:57 AM

Great job!!!
#13 of 25 Old 01-31-2006, 11:01 AM

Those look awesome!

I agree with your husband on the aplix vs snaps thing but I have to say that snaps look really great when you're done the diaper and I don't like when the aplix starts picking up lint even when you have fold back tabs... If only I liked USING snaps

I really like the prints you chose. I'm all into bright colours. I really like the guitar themed ones.
#14 of 25 Old 01-31-2006, 03:42 PM

They are so lovely,they look neat too,I mean neat and tidy,is that an English thing?
I am thinking when U.S dwellers say "neat" it means something else!!
Good job anyhow!!!!
#15 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 AM

Those diapers are all so cute! I love seeing what patterns others choose for diapers.
#16 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 02:12 AM

Great job Amber and Beeps!

Amber, oh my dear Amber, how I wished you lived next to me I used snap source snaps tonight on a fitted and oh god, it was hard! Too many layers, I guess. But on pockets I imagine they can work great! I was so excited to try the snaps too, and now I'm bummed.

Looks like I'm either buying a snap press, which I really can't justify, unless I can start my own biz, but at the rate I'm going, I dont' think so, or I'm going back to aplix. Wow, what a run-on!

I used to love aplix till I started sewing with it!
#17 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Abbyloos Mom, thanks! But I imagine you are totally right, those Snap Source snaps are absolutely great for 2 layers in pockets, but they must be a nightmare on fitted where you have so many more layers of cloth. I must make that a disclaimer on my pictures! Metal snaps great for pockets, bad bad bad for fitted!!!

Jayneysews, neat totally works! When we say neat it means tidy as you mean, or it can mean nice. But I think it is an older word that my generation would use. The young kids would say neat and mean tidy I imagine!

Thanks everyone for your most excellent compliments. I have learned so much from this board and everyone has been such a great help. Jes'sBeth, you have always been a huge help and I notice that you take time to respond to everyone, no matter how crazy the question might be. I really appreciate that.
#18 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 12:43 PM

Oh yes, they were absolutly horrid and I was just so bummed. It's not that they're not long enough -- it's the snap setter that couldn't handle all the layers. Hmm, maybe I could try it with hidden snaps next time, now there's an idea!
#19 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 01:02 PM

Well,in regard to snaps,(we call them poppers here!) I took delivery of mine two weeks ago from China,it is a KAM one,with tonnes of snaps and I am just in love with it!
I have used it on my dipe experiments and loads already for Pj's for my boys and my daughter(nearly11yrs) keeps coming up to my sewing place and asking for snaps to be put on one thing or another!
Velcro is expensive here too,and aplix and touchtape hard to get hold of,so it feels like with at least 2and a half years of this next babe in cloth,plus all the handy snap leg openings on the dungarees I will make for him/her,i did justify it!

Who knows,a couple of friends have already asked me to make thier babies some cloth nappies already so it may pay for itself yet!!!!
#20 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 01:14 PM

My dh would love the guitar print! too cute

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#21 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed in my instructions they had suggestions for extra thick material. You just slightly set in the bottom, then remove the middle piece and just use the top and bottom piece of the snapsetter. I was curious if you tried this out? If you need more info I can send you the information.

And I am doing hidden snaps and love them. I did not want the metal touching my little guy. So I just add a bit of fabric on the inside so I will still have the two layers.
#22 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 01:52 PM

Hmm I sure didnt' notice that! Are you talking about the instructions on the back of the package the snap setter came in? I kept that, going grab it now to look.

So nope, didn't try it

ETA:
My house is such a mess, I can't find what I did with it! *cry* So yes, info on it please cause I'm curious now!
#23 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepsmnms
Its outer layer cotton woven, hidden layer of PUL, (probably wont work) and inner microfleece.
Cotton Woven Pocket
Just curious Beeps...why don't you think the layer of PUL will work? I'm just starting to make diapers and wondering this myself...I bought this fabric appears to be nylon poured some water on it and it didn't soak through so I thought wow how great!

LIsa
#24 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 PM

I think she means because she is doing a hidden layer of PUL, if you don't do that right it will wick.

This is because when you turn and topstitch, all the fabric - fleece, pul & cotten outer - are touching each other on the seams. So when the inner gets wet, the insert in a pocket diaper or the inners of an AIO, so does everything on the seam allowance, so it will wick.

The best way to do hidden PUL is to serge or make it an AI2 with a snap in soaker so that the absorbant part when wet, won't touch the seam allowance. I still haven't tried any of this myself, but plan to try an AI2 possibly
#25 of 25 Old 02-01-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbyloos Mommy
Hmm I sure didnt' notice that! Are you talking about the instructions on the back of the package the snap setter came in? I kept that, going grab it now to look.

So nope, didn't try it

ETA:
My house is such a mess, I can't find what I did with it! *cry* So yes, info on it please cause I'm curious now!
Sure! I got a little booklet with my setter. On the 3rd page it says: "Hints and Tips: To get into tight areas surrounding multiple stitched layers on cuffs, diapers opening, or jacket fronts:

Using any Snapsetter (S) tool base or adapter, begin setting the snap, but hammer only once to set the snap loosely on the fabric. Disassemble the S. Reposition the fabric back into the S base and place the middle positioning bar over the post outward away from the tool base. Then add the tool top. The only two S pieces touching the snap should be the tool top and base allowing the bulky layers of the fabric to not interfere with the snapping process. Hammer the tool twice more to set the snap tightly onto the fabric."

There is a photo showing what they mean, that I can send if you need it. Just move the middle piece 180 degrees around where the botton and middle make one long line, and then put the top piece on top of the bottom piece.

Maybe this will help!!! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page