New here w/many questions. Snap press and snap size. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I'm Candice a SAHM to Logan 4, Theron 2 and #3 due July 2006! I have been using cloth since Logan was in diapers. For this baby I plan to make my entire stash. I will be using the VB fitted pattern. I want to get a snap press, but don't know which one to get or what size snaps to get. I have heard the snap store is great, they only have one snap press to get. What do you have? What size snaps do you use? Luckily my mom has a serger and a sewing machine so I can make either T and T or serge the dipes. I have material Q's I'll do in another post Thanks for your help in advance!
Candice
#2 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 03:32 PM

I got the KAM press from The Snap Store and I love it! I use size 20 snaps, but I have a die set for size 18 as well.
#3 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 04:04 PM

I just ordered the snap store press and size 20 dies. It won't be here until tuesday, though.
#4 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The snap presses are all pretty similar and pretty much the same price. Although you might check OSDS and see if you can snag their $100 snap press package including press, dies, and snaps. It's in the remnants/sale section.

Snap Store sells KAM snaps. These snaps fit in any die set EXCEPT the OSDS Industrial. They do fit in OSDS regular dies (I use this combo ALL the time). KAM snaps are available through co-ops and through Serena in China (she's actually cheaper than any co-op I've seen).

OSDS sells their own OSDS snaps - standard and industrial. I have both die sets, and I really like the industrial snaps. The standard are compatible with KAM snaps (ie, you can snap sockets/studs of the two brands together), but the industrial are completely different from anything else out there. I have a sample of standard snaps, but haven't actually used them yet. LOL. The KAM snaps are so cheap from Serena, that that's what I've mostly bought. And I also have the industrial snaps which I love. There are the occasional OSDS industrial snap co-ops out there, but they're not nearly as common as KAM snap co-ops.

Make-It-Snappy has another press, and I'm pretty sure it uses KAM snaps as well as Excel snaps (MIS sells those). The Excel snaps have a regular and a professional version. The professional is kind of like OSDS industrial in that they're really strong and guaranteed for a longer amount of snapping. MIS/Excel snaps fit KAM and OSDS standard dies, but not OSDS industrial dies.

Pretty much, KAM snaps will fit in anything except OSDS Industrial dies. OSDS standard and industrial snaps only fit in their dies (although I'm not 100% sure about MIS dies).

Clear as mud?

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!!
#6 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 06:35 PM

I think size 20 is standard size for dipes!
I like size 20 anyhow

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page