First 3 Fitted Diapers I Made. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just showing off the first 3 fitted diapers i made out of recieving blankets. I am showing them in progression and I just used whatever elastic i had lying around so i could see how the pattern i made turned out. I am waiting for my order of bathingsuit elastic and aplix to arrive. But this is my progress so far. What do you think.
first
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...o/frays017.jpg
second
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...o/frays018.jpg
third
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...o/frays019.jpg
front
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...o/frays020.jpg
back
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...o/frays021.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 12:57 PM

They look great! I would never have known they were your first diapers. What kind of closure are you going to use?
#3 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I hope I am understanding what you mean by closure, I am going to use aplix. I do not have a snap press and can't afford to spend that kind of money yet. I like how aplix is easy to use but i like how snaps wash up. Also i like the better fit you can get with aplix as their waist grows.
#4 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 02:44 PM

Those look great! Good job!
#5 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 04:42 PM

aww, they're so cute! Great job Did you use a pattern, or design your own?

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#6 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Those look great!! I would never have known that those were your first 3 attempts. Great Job!!!
#7 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 05:11 PM

Yep, that's what I meant. I like aplix too, fast and easy. I have a snap press and use both, but I'm still pretty slow at putting on snaps so when I want to finish a diaper fast i reach for the aplix.
#8 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 05:37 PM

Those look great! Good job!
#9 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 11:17 PM

Those are beautiful! What pattern did you use?
#10 of 16 Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

I used a fitted diaper i had bought to trace the outline of the pattern. Pretty tricky since i didn't want to take it apart, I had to stretch and trace and then i added an inch all the way around for t&t. Then i got the rest of the instructions from http://www.diapersewing.com/ . I'm still having some gliches with the elastic. I think it is the weight of the fabric. I'm using 3 layers for the body. 6 layers for the soaker. I sew the elastic and soaker on the middle layer. The elastic looks and functions great on the inner layer untill i get everything pieced together. On one i just made i'm pretty sure i sewed the elastic in the topstich (lol). on the other ones they function ok but not as good when it is just on the inner and the others are not attached yet. but my 4 month dd is a supersoaker and we need these layers. not that we need more diapers, i have 3 dz cpf, 2 little lambs, 4 loveybums, 2 wonderoos, and 4 fiiteds i made, but i'm hooked! LOL
#11 of 16 Old 02-07-2006, 09:47 AM

Great Job!!

Keep those creative juices flowing!
#12 of 16 Old 02-07-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebugmom
I'm still having some gliches with the elastic. I think it is the weight of the fabric. I'm using 3 layers for the body. 6 layers for the soaker. I sew the elastic and soaker on the middle layer. The elastic looks and functions great on the inner layer untill i get everything pieced together. On one i just made i'm pretty sure i sewed the elastic in the topstich (lol). on the other ones they function ok but not as good when it is just on the inner and the others are not attached yet.
Beautiful dipes! Out of recieving blankets you already had, no less!

Just a thought about your elastic: could you sew the elastic on the seam allowance of all 3 layers together? (I'm assuming you are sewing it on the middle layer, but on the actual inside part, am I right?) What I do is tack the elastic at each end (just do one end, stretch it tight, then do the other end), right on the seam allowance, then trim my seams (even in between the tacking spots). Then, when I turn and start to topstitch it's really easy to pull the elsatic tight and make a gusset / casing by just steering my stitch out into the diaper for the length of the elastic. That way, you are making a casing, about 3/4" wide, for the elastic to slide in and all the layers should ruffle together. Does that make sense???
#13 of 16 Old 02-07-2006, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

That makes sence. Thank you so much. I am going to try that on the next one. When i find time I'm turning out one a week even though it takes very little time. Between my 2 yo and my 4 mo and everything else it leaves little time for sewing. But i try.
#14 of 16 Old 02-07-2006, 02:24 PM

It's so hard to find time to sew! We just have to get used to doing things in tiny steps, I guess. Once you figure out your pattern and your methods it's super quick to make 3 or so at time, just cut them all in one sitting, sew the edges at once, put in all the elastic one night, T & T the next...

I made a cover last night in about 2 hours so it does get faster (and this is maybe my 10th cover, the first one in about a year and with a totally new pattern (never done aplix tabs before). I was up until 12:30am but I was too excited to see the finished product to go to bed!
#15 of 16 Old 02-08-2006, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I know. The last one i sewed was at midnight also.
#16 of 16 Old 02-08-2006, 10:57 AM

Those look great!!!

I am at everyone's late nite sewing habits...

me too!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page