how do I tie for tie dye heart? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-09-2006, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to dye some playsilks with DS and want to do a heart one. how tie it to do that? TIA!

(and btw sorry if this was just asked, I swore this question was just posted but I can't find the post!)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#2 of 5 Old 02-09-2006, 05:18 PM

Its pretty simple. I'll explain but I'll also give yuo a link to a more visual descritption(pictures are good!)

Take your silk and fold it in half. Wet it slightly with a mister(enough so the 2 layers stay together). Draw half a heart along the fold. I have found that my daughter's washable markers work well for marking silk/fabric for tieing and dyeing. Anyways...beginning at the bottom point of the heart, accordian fold along the line that you have drawn. As you get up to the rounded "hump" of the heart you might have to take a bit more care to get the drawn lines to match up into a straight line in the folds.

When you have it folded, bind the piece along the straight line that has formed along the fold. I also like to go out a little from this line and bind a second time.

Tie-dyed.com also has a got visual tutorial on folding a heart.

FYI-To other dyers, it appears that Fiber-arts.com, a great resource for us dyers and fiber artists will be coming back online at the beginning of March. Another new resource iTiedye.com should be going live this coming week.
Mods...hope it is o.k. to mention these becuase they are great informational resources for dyers/fiber-artists(and I have no economic connection to either, just love great resources )

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#3 of 5 Old 02-09-2006, 09:39 PM

Then there's the cheater method - draw your heart on, then use a needle & thread to sew a running stitch along the line. Gather up the fabric on the thread & tie off tightly.
Not as precise or "arty", but it works.
#4 of 5 Old 02-09-2006, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much for the help mamas I may just try both ways!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 5 Old 02-09-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehndi mama
Not as precise or "arty", but it works.
On the contrary, it can be pretty precise and definately an acceptable method in the world of fiber arts. It is called "tritik" in Indonesia and is a common stitch resist method.

I use it when I am using a small piece of silk and I want the folds to be quite small. Unfortunately I don't have teeny-weeny fairy fingers, so tritik fills this void

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page