Making a pocket dipe w/ flannel & PUL - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-12-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far I've only made fleece AIO's but just got some white PUL and cute flannel. My plan is to use the pocket concept and for the outer layer to be patterned flannel lined w/ white Pul and then the inner will be 2 layers of flannel. Now my question is, w/ this combo, am I going to have to use FOE? Can I just sew it and turn it out like I do the fleece?? Any ideas/suggestions/tips would be appreciated.
TIA
#2 of 16 Old 02-12-2006, 11:31 PM

I was jsut going to post the same question
I only have 2 more cuts of OCF and then loads of super flannel I'm thinkign of using that.
: :
#3 of 16 Old 02-12-2006, 11:35 PM

Cotton outer and cotton inner is a bad idea. I have successfully used a cotton outer on a pocket with a fleece inner (I sew the layers together and then trim down only the cotton outer before adding elastic and turning/topstitching).

If you have the cotton on the inner and outer though that is going to wick unless you have some sort of barrier. FOE will reduce the wicking but I doubt even it could stop it completely with that combination.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#4 of 16 Old 02-12-2006, 11:40 PM

PUL outer, flannel inner wouldn't work?
#5 of 16 Old 02-12-2006, 11:41 PM

What about if you sew it in this order (as if you were at the baby's butt and working your way out) - liner (I plan to use microfleece), PUL with the shiny side towards the bum so the wetness doesn't get to the soft "fabric" side, and then the flannel or whatever print you're using. Stitch that 3/8" from the edge or something and then trim just your print layer all the way around. Then bind with FOE, which will cover the stitching of the three layers together. If you're not wanting to use FOE then disregard.

Would trimming have any benefit at all?

I would like to do up some diapers with hidden PUL and a cute outer print (which may or may not be cotton) but haven't done it yet. So I'm just throwing in my two not-from-experience cents.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#6 of 16 Old 02-12-2006, 11:44 PM

You have to use FOE or serged edges if you do a hidden layer of PUL or the wet will cross at the edges and it won't be any different than a fitted pocket. I think FOE is the easiest way to go because it's the elastic and the binding all in one.
#7 of 16 Old 02-12-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingbutbreast
PUL outer, flannel inner wouldn't work?
No a plain PUL outer (white or coloured) would work fine with flannel inner...but if you are putting a print flannel on the outside and flannel on the inside as well it will wick.

As a rule of thumb for pockets...either the outer or inner can be cotton fabrics...but not both.

So you can put a print cotton fabric over plain PUL and use a non-absorbant inner layer (microfleece or suedecloth) and sew your elastic to the microfleece side or topstitch to make sure the fleece flips out and keeps the cotton away from the middle....OR you can use a solid PUL (white or coloured) as the outer and a flannel inner (just make sure you are sewing your elastic on the PUL side or T&T the whole thing so that the legs don't turn out).

Steph

#8 of 16 Old 02-12-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogansmomma
What about if you sew it in this order (as if you were at the baby's butt and working your way out) - liner (I plan to use microfleece), PUL with the shiny side towards the bum so the wetness doesn't get to the soft "fabric" side, and then the flannel or whatever print you're using. Stitch that 3/8" from the edge or something and then trim just your print layer all the way around.

Would trimming have any benefit at all?
That works wonderfully when you are using a non-absorbant lining layer (that is how I do my print outer pockets)...but if you are using an inner layer that is absorbing trimming won't help IMO.

Steph

#9 of 16 Old 02-12-2006, 11:50 PM

Ohh good I'm planning on PUL outer(solid) and flannel innner
Can I use one layer of flannel or should I do 2layers of flannel on the inside?
#10 of 16 Old 02-12-2006, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so how hard is this FOE to work with? Why am I so afraid of it? LOL I guess I just am having to learn w/ regular elastic, but I can hide those stitches inside the diaper for no one to see :P

Here is what I'm picturing in my head. For my "outer" I will have a print flannel and a layer of PUL. Sew them together so it is "one" piece for my outer layer. Then take 2 layers of solid flannel and sew them together for my "inner". So now I have an "outer" and an "inner" (but in reality its 4 pcs). Does that make sense? THEN I would sew them together, turn it inside out, wallah! I have a diaper. So now where is it that the "hidden" PUL will leak?? At the seams?? Oh I forgot to mention that when I do my leg seams I sew them along the edge of the elastic so that its a more of a "ribbing" (thats NOT the word I'm trying to think of LOL, bear w/ me, pregnancy brain here) on the legs.

Does this make a difference anyone?? Boy do I feel dumb tonight.
#11 of 16 Old 02-13-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenilee
Here is what I'm picturing in my head. For my "outer" I will have a print flannel and a layer of PUL. Sew them together so it is "one" piece for my outer layer. Then take 2 layers of solid flannel and sew them together for my "inner". So now I have an "outer" and an "inner" (but in reality its 4 pcs). Does that make sense? THEN I would sew them together, turn it inside out, wallah! I have a diaper. So now where is it that the "hidden" PUL will leak?? At the seams?? Oh I forgot to mention that when I do my leg seams I sew them along the edge of the elastic so that its a more of a "ribbing" (thats NOT the word I'm trying to think of LOL, bear w/ me, pregnancy brain here) on the legs.
Okay so picture your pocket sandwich. You have good sides together so you have PUL, flannel, flannel, flannel. Sew the four layers together. turn them. now your inside seams have are PUL, flannel, flannel, flannel...since your flannel layers are touching it is going to wick from your inner to your outer. Even with FOE you STILL have flannel touching flannel so I think you would be prone to wicking (probably most obvious on the legs).

Steph

#12 of 16 Old 02-13-2006, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

*sigh* poopy...

Ok, so others who use a "hidden" layer of PUL, what/how do they do it?? Is this only possible as an AIO? I have an AIO I got off of ebay from a WAHM and she has this concept except its an AIO and has like 7layers of flannel sewn in for the "soaker." I haven't had any leaking problems yet, what is different about an AIO leaking from this than a pocket? Am I making ANY sense tonight LOL. Maybe I need to call it quits for the night and start fresh tomorrow.

BUT I do see now about the PUL, flannel, flannel, flannel at the seams inside. Thanks for drawing me a clearer picture! I was really lost for a moment.
#13 of 16 Old 02-13-2006, 12:18 AM

You CAN still do cotton outer pockets but your best bet is to make your inner something that doesn't absorb (microfleece or suedecloth). I have made 3 cotton outer pockets so far and NONE of them wick.

The way I do them is I sew the cotton fabric to the PUL at the back about 1/4 inch from the top (and I fold over the cotton fabric so it is nicely seamed KWIM?? Then I sew my elastic so that only the PUL is INSIDE the pocket. Not sure if this step is strictly necessary since my inserts don't go all the way to the top of the pocket LOL but it makes me feel more secure...

Then I sew the PUL/cotton to the fleece with good sides together...so PUL,cotton,fleece. Then I trim the cotton all the way around (again not sure if its strictly necessary since I am putting elastic on the front and legs because my pockets are side snapping...but it is working so I am not going to change it LOL!)

Then I put on the elastic and turn the diaper. I topstitch from the pocket opening to the top of the leg elastic on both sides and then topstitch the front of the pocket. I sew the elastic on the microfleece side on the legs so that the fleece rolls out (which I think provides another "layer of protection" against wicking but presenting the PUL to the insert rather than the seam KWIM??)

If you go to my photobucket the pictures on the second row are a cotton outer pocket.

Steph

#14 of 16 Old 02-13-2006, 12:28 AM

Okay troubleshooting your problem I have thought of a couple things that *might* help and make a flannel/PUL,flannel/flannel pocket work (but I won't take responsibility if it doesn't

1) make sure your seat is fairly wide and your inserts are much thinner so that hopefully your pocket will "collapse" into the crotch with the PUL side presenting.

2) trim your inner and outer flannels close to your stitching and make sure that you topstitch all the way around the pocket (including the legs) far enough away from the edge to "trap" the flannel outer print in the seam and make it harder for moisture to wick through to the outside. When you are topstitching the legs be very careful that your inner flannel doesn't turn into the diaper.

Its worth a try to see if it will work anyway...

Steph

#15 of 16 Old 02-13-2006, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

So really I could make this a whole lot easier on myself and just use suedecloth for the inner instead?? I used some microfleece for my fleece pockets inners and for some reason it was always very wet against his skin and they also leaked right through. That was when I turned them into AIO's and had the soaker against his skin (same combination just not as a "pocket" not sure why it made a difference but it did.)
#16 of 16 Old 02-13-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenilee
So really I could make this a whole lot easier on myself and just use suedecloth for the inner instead?? I used some microfleece for my fleece pockets inners and for some reason it was always very wet against his skin and they also leaked right through. That was when I turned them into AIO's and had the soaker against his skin (same combination just not as a "pocket" not sure why it made a difference but it did.)
Yeah suedecloth would work fine because it is 100% polyester so non-absorbant.

Steph

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page