Frustrated w/ local JoAnn's CS - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They really need some sales training or something. First off I've gotten to where I need to lie or something when they ask what I'm making w/ all my fabric (whether its fleece or microfleece or flannel) I get nothing but like eye rolling and basically telling me that what I'm buying won't work (as if they know all about making diapers!) And to ask them for help...HA! My friend and I were in there today, my friend asked for some help, just simple asked for "soft, white 100% polyester" and the lady said fleece but even then couldn't point her in the direction of any white fleece. Grrrrrrrrrrr. They sure are grumpy ignorant people here. Not much different from a Hancocks that we went to in a bigger city. I would ask where something was and they'd do one of those across the store pointings "over there." What is wrong w/ people these days?

So there is my rant of the day. And still no luck finding any WHITE non-absorbant material. Not even online.
#2 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 04:33 PM

My local fabric store is a Fabricland and they're really bad like that too. They're HORRIBLE!! (And the fabric selection sucks too.)

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#3 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogansmomma
My local fabric store is a Fabricland and they're really bad like that too. They're HORRIBLE!! (And the fabric selection sucks too.)
I was just wondering if maybe Joanne's is the Fabricland of the south. Seriously, they have GOT to be related in some way. I was just thinking today (when I was in there buying fabric about 10 minutes ago, which again took 40 minutes to get 3 pieces cut and paid for) that not only do they lack customer service training but they have NO product knowledge. There is such a goldmine waiting for the first brick & mortar fabric chain that actually trains their staff with *gasp* product knowledge!
#4 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 PM

I truly believe that how a company treats it's employees will be reciprocated to the customer/client. I just hate going to those places in general, they are dirty, poor quality fabric, and not very helpfull. When I really need some help, or have a question, I will go to the local quilt shop. Even if I don't buy anything, and my question isn't quilt related, they are soo helpfull and will even special order things from their suppliers that don't carry.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#5 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 05:55 PM

Here people are so interested in my cloth diapers. I think people are not so mainstream here in the midwest though.
#6 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 06:03 PM

I find that most of the people in my Joann's at least try to be helpful--but I look for the older women, who usually work there for the discount at mine. But when it comes to diaper sewing...nope, I just say I'm sewing "stuff for a baby". I got tired of the eye roll too.

Funny, I'm in the midwest also, and I'm just not telling people about my diapers anymore! Here Hancock is the not so great fabric store--small, with a tiny selection. Really nice salespeople, though. We just got a Hobby Lobby, and I'm hoping it's good! I actually braved our local Wal Mart to look for fabric, and the selection was terrible! So I didn't have to spend money there Our Wal Mart is honestly the worst I've ever seen or heard of, and that's saying something. It's filthy dirty, there are always piles of stuff in the aisles...ugh.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#7 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 07:11 PM

I think the fabric stores have trouble finding sales associates who sew, and IME when they do sew they are quilters or newbies. There is a reason why half the fabric store is crafts, and the fabric stock in the other half of the store is mostly quilting cottons, polar fleece, and home dec. They stock what sells.

I just learned today that another fabric store closed near me. That is two since the beginning of the year. Neither store was on my regular circuit, but I miss them all the same.
#8 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 07:48 PM

I find that most of the older ladies at my JoAnn's are kind of crabby and also can't answer questions. There's one that's a real battle-ax.
But, there is one lady there that is probably in her late 40's that is so nice. She asked me what I was making and I told her diapers and she asked lots of questions and was really interested. Yesterday when I was there she asked me if I would bring in a diaper so she could see what it looked like.
And she's been helpful, too. I will wait longer to get my stuff cut just so I can have her help me instead of the other ones.
Holly
#9 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 07:48 PM

I find the salespeople in the stores near me are decent and even fairly friendly, but they are sorely understaffed. They'll have one person at the register and one at the cutting tables, and that's it. The stores are old and run down. I think they keep them badly lit on purpose so you can't see how dirty they are.

Occasionally though, I'll run into a snob. They'll ask what I'm making, and if I told the truth, I'd get this whole long story about better fabrics, or when they realized that cloth diapers were just gross, or stupid, or . . . I actually had one lady who told me how she'd just bought some fancy new cloth diapers that were square, but they had velcro attached to them. And then told me about the great deal she'd found on plastic pants and how she had to buy twice as many because they wouldn't last long. I think next time I go diaper fabric shopping, I'm going to bring some of my best work with me

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#10 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 11:34 PM

Interesting to hear about everyone's different expirience. Here in my area, the local JoAnn store is brand new, HUGE, but completely understaffed. Sometimes there is an hour wait at the cutting counter... : However, I think the fabrics they carry are of a lesser quality than what I can find online. When I tell the ladies at the JoAnn store that I make cloth diapers, they are always very interested, especially the older ladies.... I guess it just depends on where you live, in my area (Olympia, WA) I think it isn't as surprising to hear someone talk about cloth diapering, kwim? I am sorry that you are having such a horrible time with finding some white fleece, I have some that I bought at JoAnn's it is non-pill and honestly, I think the quality is quite sad....

Good luck!

Smiles,
Rachel
#11 of 16 Old 02-14-2006, 11:46 PM

The people at my Joanns are total jerks. The only reason I go there is b/c I'm on a budget and imo, its better than WalMart where I only go if I absolutely have to (can't beat $1/yd when you only have $5 left for the week ). But for any type of thread, etc I go to a locally owned fabric shop near me. The people there, except one person, are really nice but their fabric is crazy expensive for not that great of quality. Ikwym about the eye-rolling about cloth dipes, I pretty much shut the store down when a salesclerk yelled to me what I was trying to make so I told her. Everyone just stared at me, it was like a sitcom or something : But, their prices are good when they have sales. If another store opened up with comparable prices I'd be there in a minute though.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#12 of 16 Old 02-15-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthenware
There is such a goldmine waiting for the first brick & mortar fabric chain that actually trains their staff with *gasp* product knowledge!
I think it is going to be a long wait. But everything does go in cycles, so it will likely come to pass. Hopefully in my lifetime.

Most of the comments really sum it up. But I don't think a store who sells shoddy quality stuff is going to really care about customer service or salesperson training. I know everyone talks about how bad Hancocks is, but for a while at least there was some better quality things mixed in. I knew it was going downhill a couple months ago when I saw the table of "bargain fabrics" or whatever they call it - not the big tables of flatfolds they used to have, but now bolts that are see-through cotton and run about $2 a yard. I went in again a couple days ago for something, and I will not go back. Almost the whole store is switched over. The stuff is so cheaply made and I'm not going to spend my time making something to save $1 or so (by using the cheaper stuff they now have vs what they had before) and have it fall apart. I felt like I was in JoAnn's - both with the way the salespeople acted and with what they had on their (dirty) shelves.

Many years ago I lived in a small town and was talking with the owner of a private-owned fabric store about her prices and fabrics. She had the best stuff there, but it was definitely more expensive than the chains. She showed me some fabric that she carried and the JoAnn's about 45 minutes away had the exact same print. The problem for her was JoAnn's was so much cheaper that people would drive there to save money (never mind the money and time spent to get there). BUT the fabric on which that print was stamped was a GOOD quality one. The JoAnn's fabric was cheap and would not last. So her problem (and she eventually had to close her shop) was that people thought they could get the same thing for cheaper at JoAnn's. Yes, cheaper, but not the same thing. (I actually got to feel both b/c I went to JoAnn's to see what she was talking about.)

I pretty much go to JoAnn's for half priced notions and thread if I happen to be driving in that direction. I really don't like it there. I know they are only selling what people will buy, but it is all fleece and poorly made products. I don't want them to think they are "getting it right". Cheap quality, understaffed, dust bunnies everywhere... I've got to think many of those ladies (and some men) would behave differently in a better environment.

There is one good local chain left here and they still have decent things. I'm only shopping there now. Hopefully they can stay in business.
#13 of 16 Old 02-15-2006, 12:49 PM

I haven't ever gotten any eye-rolling- they're always interested, but I totally know what you mean about the not being helpful, they don't een know what they carry. I didn't know that Joanns sold lesser quality fabric though, I know that Walmart does, I've experienced that myself. We have a Mill End- awesome fabric store, super selection on the stuff that Joann's doesn't carry- 100% wools, brocades, wedding dress fabrics, etc.... but they are super expensive.

A for the white non-absorbant material, Jenilee, try drapery liner. I cannot tell you how good it is, but it is water-resistant. It says dry-clean only, but there haven't been any adverse effects from my hot-wash (I never dry clean anything), but I don'y know if it loses its water-resistant-ness that way. My Joann's always has it in the remnant bin, so you could try a little out. And, if the hot wash does make it leak, you can just cold wash and hang dry.
#14 of 16 Old 02-15-2006, 01:11 PM

Hmm. I didn't think about that. I just buy the softest cotton but I guess that I thought 100% cotton was the same no matter where you buy it. Maybe that explains why the tops of my fitteds are fraying after just a few washes.

What is a good price to pay for a yard of good quality cotton?

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#15 of 16 Old 02-15-2006, 02:53 PM

Yes, unfortunately I think the cheaper quality fabrics available is a result of the uprise of cheaper quality clothing. As we Americans (and Canadians, too? - I don't know about Europeans and Australians and...) have purchased more and more of our clothing from discount stores the cost of clothing in general has come down. I am not knocking Walmart and the like, per se, as I think they definitely have their place. It's just that as stores try to compete and lower their prices the difference in price has to be made up somewhere. I know occassionally you can get something that is good quality at Walmart or similar stores and you can occassionally get poor quality at higher end stores. I recently bought some clothing from the Danskin line at Walmart b/c I liked it. The fabric is OK - but it all definitely shrunk and seams twisted from slightly to drastically. There is also a lot of pilled fibers that have come off of it. So the stuff looks pretty OK and for the price....it just does not compare to the quality of Danskin things I have that are from their regular line.

All this to say that I believe the decline in fabric quality and service is a result of cheaper clothing available in general. Many people would look at a yard of fabric and think "I need 2-1/2 yards to make a pair of pants and I can buy a whole pair of pants ready-made for the cost of 1-1/2 yards". I have often thought that myself. So in order to compete on price, the quality at chain fabric stores has come down. It's cyclical.

I better stop now...
#16 of 16 Old 02-15-2006, 02:57 PM

I guess my rant seems a little OT from the original post - but I do believe that the lack of training, understaffing, inattention to cleanliness, etc of the store is a result of trying to ensure a profit while still competing with lower prices. It's all related.

At least I can still get Gutterman's thread at JoAnn's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page