Your current diaper sewing goals - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So what are everyone's current diaper sewing goals for say the next week or so?

Mine are:
-Make a serged AI2 for DS - dolphin print outer, navy PUL inner, snap-in soaker that will probably be sherpa and velour (I'm almost out of hemp, but have more on the way)
-Make a T&T AIO for DS - navy PUL outer, navy or brown velour inner (haven't decided yet), sherpa sewn-in soaker (true AIO)
-Make an FOE bound AIO for DS - white dinosaur print outer, either red interlock or brown velour (need to look at the print and see what matches) inner, sherpa sewn-in soaker

All of the above will be made from my own pattern - I'm testing out some different AIO/AI2 uses with this pattern.

Also...
-Training pants for nephew... Need... to... finish...
-Scale down my pattern for a newborn and make a couple cheapy flannel fitteds to try out on two friends' newborns that were born last week (they're both under 7 lbs at birth).

We'll see how much of that I get done tomorrow.
#2 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine are:

- stop ordering so much fabric; I need to pace myself (and my wallet)
- make a diaper already!!

(I still haven't cleared out enough space to set up the sewing machine and I'm also waiting on supplies to get here.)

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#3 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 01:50 AM

[QUOTE=brogansmomma]Mine are:

QUOTE]

I'm with you there! Darn coops!! I can't wait till it all gets here though.

- Two PUL diaper covers (Navy blue inner PUL and Anaheim Angels cotten woven outer) with FOE and SNAPS!
-Possibly one DD fitted.
-Make diapers to be donated to the Miracle Diaper drive.
-Sew mama pads. Ok, not a diaper, but I cut out enough to make 2 and I think AF is coming soon and I want to try them.
-Start making my own pattern.
#4 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 02:04 AM

To go through all the bags of scraps and make soakers, doublers and wipes.

To finish up or repair any old funky diapers I made for DS long ago before I can put them away for the next baby. Or get rid of them or turn them into doublers. I don't know what to do with some of these...

To make some smalls for the DC2. I think I have a bunch of pre-cut small sizes, though I'm not sure how much I'll like those old patterns.
#5 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 02:04 AM

*Make a large VB fitted now that I'm armed with better knowledge of elastic, out of cheap flannel to check the fit on dd

*Working on an orange PUL AIO right now, and I want to make another for a friend

*Make a fitted out of the DD AIO pattern

*Make more diapers for my friend

*Get more fabric! Haha, I have enough, but oh.my.god. the addiction of it all!

I want a serger and snap press darnit *cry*

ETA bratmobile we were posting at the same time REading your post made me remember something else: fix all my attempts at the VB fitted since I used up good material for them
#6 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 02:09 AM

1 - make at least five pocket dipes that dd can use. ie, no polyester liners
2 - start working on my own pattern. I really want to do this, but I get discouraged pretty easy when it's my own creation
3 - I'm hosting an intro to cd'ing and babywearing party for several friends, family members and neighbors in a while and need to start brainstorming on it.

This is, of course, aside from other sewing that I need/want to do. I was almost done with a dress for dd2, but cut the bodice out wrong and now I'm out of fabric I'd like to make another mei tai, a couple slings . . . so much stuff I want to do!

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#7 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 02:22 AM

I have miles of fabric to cut out! I wish it didn't take so long!
#8 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 04:00 AM

well, before any dipes for me (lucy, actually)... i need to make my swap diaper!!

but after that, i'm totally itching to try the DD AIO pattern!!

then I *really* want to make a front-snapping fitted for Lucy out of the pink stretch terry I got. I'm more of a side-snapping gal usually, but I just think that front-snapping would really play well with front-snapping for whatever reason!!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#9 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 05:50 AM

I want to finish the nappies I have in a pile,this is just a case of appying snaps to them all!
Sort out my scraps in to usable stacks,i.e,which bits are big enough for soakers,which for little wipes and which for re enforcing snap areas!
Buy a bigger folder for all my patterns
10 pockets in newborn
18 soakerpads for pockets
10 more jersey fitteds
three wool wraps
three wool butt sweaters
PUL wraps(sitting patiently on hands waiting for co op PUL to get over the atlantic!)
Start looking at next size up,because come May I have no idea how I will ever get time to sew again!!!!
A doddle, hey? Blimey!!!!
#10 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 10:02 AM

Oooh good thread! On my todo list at the moment...

For the babe due in July:
-More small fitteds - VB AIO pattern
-A few XS fitteds, just for the heck of it
-Possibly a VB AIO or two, I've got PUL, I just hate sewing with it!
-A T&T two-layer (lightweight windpro) fleece cover, size small. Got this cut out, just need to sew it.

For my long-ago potty-trained, but night-wetting 4 year old:
-Pocket trainers. It's just about impossible to make an AIO bedwetting pullup absorbant enough and still dryer-able, so this is one case where I think a pocket is a must. (DS would not take kindly to a diaper/cover at this point.) PUL outside, fleece inside, FOE, stuffed with lots of hemp. We only have one at the moment (bought from a WAHM) and DS is in sposies the rest of the time, so I really need to get my act together and make a few of these. I hope velcro will work on the sides, because I haven't got a snap press.
#11 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogansmomma
Mine are:
Oh, ain't that the truth!!!! What I've ordered this week...

On it's way now:
1 yard olive PUL
1/2 yard magenta PUL
1 yard cotton fleece
1 yard hemp french terry (ordered 2 yards, but she ran out)

Co-op fabrics being ordered in the next few days:
2 yards natural sherpa
2 yards khaki velour
2 yards white BKT
4 yards hemp french terry

Co-op fabrics being ordered when minimums fill:
5 yards bamboo french terry

The only fabric I was really NEEDING was the hemp french terry, as I'm getting super low on that - may not have enough for a full diaper cut, but could get some soakers for sure.
#12 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 11:23 AM

I am working on developing my own pattern, so my #1 goal is to keep tweaking that and get something usable. DD1 (daytime trained and almost night time trained) is loving the diapers I have been making for her baby sister, so I need to make her another pair or 2 of training pants. She has been wearing sposie pull-ups because she gets herself completely dressed for bed and can't put a diaper on herself. I made one pair for her and she loved it (hot pink outer, hula girls inner - her choice ) In all I would like to get another 4-5 diapers/trainers done in the next week or so. I bought the 10 yard remnant package of PUL from www.diapershop.com last time they stocked the remnants, so I have to keep going and use up all that PUL.

Ann
#13 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 01:03 PM

*sigh* Sew less and play more LOL. I've been addicted and making a diaper or 2 a day. I need to clean my house more and play w/ my toddler (though I usually am sewing during naps).

But for real, first on my list is my swap diaper stuff.

Then I need to make up a bunch of fitteds for the new baby to arrive in a few months. Other than that, just play with what I've got and keep up'ing my current stash with whatever I feel in the mood for. Oh, I need to order some hemp fleece and make some more soakers. And get more fleece because I want a few more fleece AIO's.
#14 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 01:20 PM

Well I am gonna go to the store and get some poster board to make my pattern trace. After that I will make three diapers for Theron and a few for # 3 . It's my first attempt. Oh I guess I need to set up the new sewing machine I got a few days ago. I was gonna use my moms, but then I'd have to drive over there after the kids are in bed. I think it'll be much easier to use my own. Plus now I have one all to myself! Although she does have a brand new serger I will try out!
#15 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 01:58 PM

Finish converting my prefolds to prefitteds(I have a dz or so more to do)
Finish another FOE PUL cover
Make some doublers

Wait for the co op to fill so I will be swiming in PUL
#16 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 03:32 PM

My goal for diaper sewing is more long term, I need to have all the dipes and covers done before, say the middle of April because we're moving in May and not having a diaper service after we move.

Daily my goal is sew 2 diapers and 1 cover (I sewed 7 diapers yesterday!)

By the end though, I should have 40+ diapers (halfway there!!) and 6 covers minimum per size, L and XL but I have a ton more cut out than 6 each!

Then, I totally copied nothingbutbreast (awesome idea!! ) and am turning a whole stash of curity pfs I bought cheap into fitteds, just sewing two together because they're awfully thin. Will post pics soon!

And peypeymama- i hear you about the cutting out fabric- I hate it, but what I do, is after dd goes to bed, I do it all at once downstairs on the floor or kitchen table while watching a good movie (or Survivor)- then its all over and I can get to the fun part!
#17 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 03:40 PM

Plan and scheme and invent and SEW my swap diaper!
#18 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 03:47 PM

I guess my #1 goal is to make my diaper for my swap partner!

I also just finished a flannel fitted and I need to put on the snaps and make the soaker and the doubler.

Get to the post office to mail off some PUL cuts to be embroidered!
#19 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 04:13 PM

Sigh...I'm so discouraged! I want to sew tonight, but I haven't gotten my new patterns yet, and I don't want to cut out more stuff from the old pattern. My long term goal is another 20 or so small fitted dipes--some cuddlebuns, some from the mamabird pattern. I'm trying to do one or two a week until I get there! Some of my scraps are big enough for nb dipes, so I think I'll end up with some nb's that way.

I also need to do covers, of course. I ordered some Dappi nylon pants, I'm going to convert some of those to side-snapping, make a few fleece covers and a few PUL covers. Maybe some wool too, if I get to Goodwill anytime soon. Again, I'm waiting on the pattern to arrive! Soooo frustrating! And a couple of AIO's for the diaper bag!

SOOOO anxious to get started! Patterns, get here darn it!

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#20 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 05:57 PM

I am having the baby in exactly 4 weeks (march 17th) and I have only made 8 NB dipes!

That should tell ya that I have some major sewing sitting on my sewing table!!!!
#21 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 07:12 PM

Good thread!

My goals: Catch up on all the half finished dipes/other sewing waiting to be finished.
#22 of 33 Old 02-17-2006, 09:52 PM

1. sew velcro tabs on 6 doll diapers
2. making a present for a friend having her 6th baby-a set with diaper cover with cute flannel print outer with a mini diaper inside it with matching flannel print and microfleece inner and a soaker. Also making her a couple fitted diapers.
3. sew more mama pads for me, but having major problems serging the little curve part on either side of the wings. I'm doing them with PUL, 3 layers hemp jersey and top layer of velour.
4. My 7 yr old son asked me to make him an over the shoulder thingamajig to hold his arrows to his bow.
5.My dh surprised me for Valentines with a new huskylock 910 serger and I am very intimidated by it. I've been using an 18 yr old huskylock 340. So, I'm trying to get brave enough to use the new one for something besides washcloths. I need to read the book, watch the dvd, etc.
6. I need to find a container to hold my fabric and organize it somehow.
Holly
#23 of 33 Old 02-18-2006, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I've actually worked toward my goals. Yay! Today, I cut out everything needed for the 3 AIOs I want to make for DS... except the snap-in soaker for one. I didn't cut those pieces out yet. And the other two AIOs are actually all serged together right now and waiting for elastic and finishing. One is FOE bound, so I just need to bind it! Unfortunately, I forgot to put the snap sockets on first. Oops. So those snaps won't be hidden. The other one I serged up is the T&T one. And what did I do? I serged it completely closed! Doh! Plus I accidentally missed the velour when serging it closed, so I had to serge AGAIN a little farther down to catch the velour. Then I had to unserge two sets of serging. But that's all done now and ready to apply elastic. I remembered the hidden snaps this time too.

Serging velour and PUL together is NOT fun... And I did pin like mad!
#24 of 33 Old 02-18-2006, 01:30 AM

Figure out a pattern to make about 6 newborn wool covers (4 one layer, 2 two layer for nighttime--it's interlock, I think it will be enough)

Use that pattern to make a pattern for about 33 newborn quickdry mini-diapers (using sherpa)

Sew all diapers and covers!

Buy some soft cotton interlock for wipes. Make wipes.

Oh, and I still have to buy some touchtape and elastic. Still trying to figure out how much to buy and where to get it.

After all that's done, I'll move on to adjusting my newborn patterns to small, and making my small stash.

All of this to be accomplished by June. And I'm a novice sewer--I'm afraid it's going to take me forever!
#25 of 33 Old 02-19-2006, 12:01 PM

For the next week:

Make 4 more covers
Make 8 more fitteds
Make 2 AIOs
Make 2 pocket dipes

The first 2 I can do b/c I've done them before. I've never made AIOs or pockets before though so saying I'll make 4 of those is generous.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#26 of 33 Old 02-19-2006, 01:31 PM

My goal once I recieve my fabric is to make inserts for my boys FB's so hopefully we can stop having leaks at night
#27 of 33 Old 02-19-2006, 05:05 PM

I just got a custom order for 10 diapers last night. I'm so excited. I quoted her two weeks, but then realized that I'm going on vacation for 3 of those days so I hope I have given myself enough time!

So I have those 10 diapers to do, all mediums and I have a dozen or so XL's to sew for a lady here on MDC. She needs a few nb's and smalls to since she's expecting.

I'm a busy girl this week!
#28 of 33 Old 02-19-2006, 07:20 PM

I feel so far behind right now!

I have 4 diapers cut out that need sewing together (2 AIO's and 2 pockets)

I have a dozen prefolds to convert into prefitteds for a friend that I've been dragging my feet on

I have a dozen and a half mama pads to sew for good friends of ours (all cut out, inserts done but they need to be sewn together and snaps need to be put on)

I have my swap diaper to cut out and sew too (I know what I'm going to sew though )

I also have a pair of overalls to cut out and sew before babe outgrows the pattern I just sized up!

In order it'll be swap diaper, prefitteds, mama cloth, then either the 4 diapers or the overalls. Geez that seems like a lot of stuff to sew! Who has time to look after their baby and work
#29 of 33 Old 02-21-2006, 02:22 PM

Well, my first goal is my diaper swap, 2 fitteds.
-then finish crotching those longies, about 2/3 done,
-then i want to make 2 more dozen of med fitteds so i can use my cpf for soaker material to make 3 dozen large fitteds for dd to grow into
-then i want to make more soakers, shorties and longies

I'm really getting into this. If after a year I really have my pattern for fitteds down pat, I am thinking of going wahm but that is long term, still have to see if everything pans out ok after a year and see where i'm at. i would also like to add selling dandelion dreams pattern soakers, longies and such but will wait on all of that to see if i am still enthusastic enough to keep it up and if it's all still there then i will purchase liscense, etc, etc.... i can dream, right?
#30 of 33 Old 02-21-2006, 05:35 PM

I made my very first fitted diaper ever a few days ago. It works, I'll say that much! I am just learning to sew this year, so everything is quite crooked. The elastic was not as hard as I thought it would be, though.

This week I am cutting out fabric. I figure it will be easier to just cut out a bunch of pieces first. I noticed that on the diaper, a fold over tab is too tight and regular tabs are too loose, so I shortened the wings on my pattern.
That is definitely an advantage of making your own - you can customized.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page