Crazy Question .. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay.... You can start laughing now at my ignorance to this question... it's allowed!

What I am dying to know is how do you do the rainbow thread edging on the dipes. I am thinking that it would have to be done with the zig zag stitch from a sewing machine and not done with a serger.

Can someone please help this mama out?
#2 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 08:32 PM

The ones I've seen are serged. The thread is a single spool and is multicoloured so you just serge/sew like normal.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#3 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 09:25 PM

Serged. My serger has diff color thread on each spool.
#4 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepsmnms
Serged. My serger has diff color thread on each spool.
The ones that change colour every inch or so along the length are multicoloured spools though, aren't they??

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#5 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 10:47 PM

Yes, its called varigated(sp) thread I believe. I have'nt tried it yet but the diapers I've serged so far has the multicolors only because I have diff spools on each postion.
#6 of 16 Old 02-18-2006, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yeah, variegated thread is how you get the multicolored edges. It could probably be done with a sewing machine zig-zag, but wouldn't be as pretty as with a serger.

The thread itself changes colors in different sections.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#7 of 16 Old 02-18-2006, 05:44 AM

CIC2 have a wooly nylon co op on just now,I am down for some varigated threads,and I cannot wait ,it is four times the price over here,if you can even find it!

I am not sure how much diaper making I will do with it but,my 11year old daughter has her eye in having stuff serged together on the outside with it,she is suddenly very fashion orientated!!!

I think the deal is you just put two spools on the looper threads!
#8 of 16 Old 02-18-2006, 11:04 AM

Yeah, put it on the looper threads, then just put a solid color that matches your fabric or matches the variegated thread on the needle threads.

I've seen some TV shows where they used decorative serging on the outside of jackets and such, and it looked really nice! One I saw yesterday (Tivo'd) showed changing colors every 10 stitches by setting one looper tension to 0 and the other to 9, then swapping those settings every 10 stitches. It causes the entire thread going over the edge to be one color, then alternate. Neat, huh? I don't know if it'd be sturdy enough for diapers though? It's alot of work too... you have to count all of your stitches and keep moving dials. They were doing this just on the collar of a jacket.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#9 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 03:21 AM

CIC2 have a wooly nylon co op on just now,I am down for some varigated threads,and I cannot wait ,it is four times the price over here,if you can even find it!

Is this a yahoo co-op? I need some wooly nylon too. My local joanne's has a pathetic little supply of it.
#10 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 03:24 AM

oh, and, you can use this in a regular sewing machine, correct? I hope!
#11 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 07:07 AM

Yes it is a yahoo co op ,but you have to join the maingroup,cradledincloth1 to beable to join cradledincloth2

HTH
Jayne
#12 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, it's verigated on the cone. I however, just found out yesterday (when I went to buy some) that it's ten dollars a spool at joanns, as opposed to three dollars a spool for the solid colors! Yow. I did break down and buy some, but I won't be using it on "test" diapers, that's for sure!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#13 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 01:19 PM

My serger can use regular spools of thread as well as the large serger cones. Can ya'll use regular spools of verigated thread on your sergers?
#14 of 16 Old 02-21-2006, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!

Thanks alot for all your help! I have a dipe here that I bought from a WAHM and it looks like the edges were definately serged from a sewing machine! The cloth is actually peeking through the stitches!

I have some rainbow variegated smaller spools already. I will try it with both and I'll let you know. My serger and my sewing machine have inter-changeable thread sizes, I can use cones on my sewing machine and smaller sewing machine spools on my serger.

Off I go......I have an experiment to do!!!

Again, many many thanks!!
#15 of 16 Old 02-21-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeeevraftr
oh, and, you can use this in a regular sewing machine, correct? I hope!
I don't think you can use wooly nylon on your sewing machine. Maybe in the bobbin... But I doubt in the needle. Isn't it too big to fit through a needle? And that's why it's only used in the loopers of a serger (which has bigger holes than a needle eye)?

I could be wrong, of course!

If you want variegated thread on your sewing machine, just get some Maxi-lock variegated. That definitely works on a sewing machine.

#16 of 16 Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I don't think you can use wooly nylon on your sewing machine. Maybe in the bobbin... But I doubt in the needle. Isn't it too big to fit through a needle? And that's why it's only used in the loopers of a serger (which has bigger holes than a needle eye)?

I could be wrong, of course!

If you want variegated thread on your sewing machine, just get some Maxi-lock variegated. That definitely works on a sewing machine.
I tried it, and I was able to get it through the needle by putting nail polish on the end, but it didn't stay in, and I didn't bother trying to mess with it because I figured it would be a pain to go through the nail polish mess every time I had to rethread.

It isn't the variegated look I'm after, although that is nice, I know I can get it with maxi-lock. I am after the soft feel of the wooly nylon. I worry that the regular polyester thread will be too scratchy. I am faux serging with an overcast stitch on my sewing machine, and I wonder if there is a softer alternative thread for sewing machines?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page