How do you keep your needles organized? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-01-2006, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, the shoebox and ziploc bag aren't cutting it anymore. I need help! I would love some inspiration from you seasoned knitting mamas - how do I store my various lengths of straight needles, circs, and dpns in an orderly way?

TIA!
#2 of 19 Old 03-01-2006, 04:08 AM

Do you sew? I made a variation of the "roll your own" case in the first Stitch n Bitch book I also made the circular holder as well. They are in a pretty linen that matxhes my living room, where they live.

My dpns are seperate from the straights(only straights are in the roll case)I keep them in old Republic od Tea canisters, open, on the bookshelf, way up high where my climbing kids can't get them. Oh, I also have a plain old tupperware see through box that has all my "clean up" tools, current project stuff in it. Like, I keep a small crochet hook for dropped stitches, a tapestry needle for finishing/kitchener, etc. small bit of yarns I am using, another small container(purcjased at Fry's) with tiny compartments that holds my stitch markers. I try to stay a bit organized, it really helps my concentration.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#3 of 19 Old 03-01-2006, 04:09 AM
rn

I inherited all of my deceased great grandmothers needles, she was crafty and made 2 holders for her straight needles (and dpns). it seperates them all by size and then rolls up. this is for the straight needles. It is a great system. I wish I could explain it better.
She only had a few circulars so they were in those organizers also, but I am going to make my second sewing attempt to for the circular needle holder that hangs off of a clothes hanger (I am not a very good sewer). The pattern for it is in the Stitch n Bitch book. I also am pretty positive that what my great grandmother made for her straight needles is in that book also.

I dont have the book right now b/c I am too cheap to buy it I borrowed it from the library a month or two ago.
#4 of 19 Old 03-01-2006, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, LeilaLu and rn! Guess I need to read S 'n B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn
I dont have the book right now b/c I am too cheap to buy it I borrowed it from the library a month or two ago.
LOL, I'm cheap, too - another great idea to borrow it from the library. I'll head over to the website to request it now.
#5 of 19 Old 03-01-2006, 05:40 PM

With a computer program my DP wrote for me.

Okay, they are actually standing in vases on a shelf. I think I'm up to 4 or 5 small vases. I have some glass pebbles in a few that help keep the circulars upright (needles in vase - cords up in the air) But I don't worry so much about keeping them in numbered order because my DP wrote a computer program for my cell phone that tracks all the needles I own. That way I can quickly look up what I already own and what is currently available for use. Especially handy in the yarn store when I'm not sure if I need to buy needles for a new project.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#6 of 19 Old 03-01-2006, 10:02 PM

I've recently graduated from the Rubber Band Organizational Method to the Joann Fabric needlecase my mom bought me for Christmas. But it doesn't hold nearly as much as I'd like, and I prefer big needles, like size 10 and up, so my stuff is fat and takes up lots of space. So I have my wooden needles in it and my metal needles in the drawer, A La Brown Rubber Band. It's quite sad, really.

I really would like one of these needle "tubes", just a cardboard tube with dividers really. Or a roll-up needle case, but alas I do not sew and nobody else in my family sews voluntarily, so I'm out of luck.

Not incidentally, and in a related dilemma, my yarn storage has grown too small. Or rather, my yarn stash has outgrown the basket. I'm collecting yarn but in a pathetic slump and can't seem to use up any of my acquisitions.
#7 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 PM

Hi,

I went to the dollar store and bought a Wine Bottle Container(?).
Not sure what the exact name is but it only set me back $3.00.
It's made out of paper and it has a lid.
It's hard to describe. It was sort of funny because when I got it Dh thought it was for wine but he opened it and my needles fell out...lol Anyway...
It fits my DPNs (i still need to use rubber bands on them) and the straight needles fine. My circs are tucked away in my needlemaster..

Take Care
#8 of 19 Old 03-03-2006, 03:52 AM

Personally, I like to spread mine out... I have the last 4 sets I used on the top of the entertainment center along with yarn remnants...then there's the pair in the purse with the sock-in-progress, the circ.s with the blanket-in-progress, the straights with the....you get the idea!

Seriously though, I have a bunch of my stuff in those boxes that Melissa & Doug toys come in (rectangle box w/ plexi slide on lid). Also, I have a couple of nifty looong rectangular boxes that hang on the wall (from Joann's). They say "blackberry currants" or something like that and fit my long straights. I got matching hanging tiles that have hooks for my circ.s to hang from. They'd be pretty cute if I ever finished hanging them up...
#9 of 19 Old 03-03-2006, 10:40 AM

I have a needle roll from Honu Gear for my dpn's, straights, and crochet hooks. And I have two needle niche's from Cynthia at Rumpknits (bought them off of Cascade Fiber Arts, but haven't seen them there recently) for my circulars. Everything is organized by size now, and I'm loving this system! The cases are really gorgeous, too.
#10 of 19 Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 AM

I have a needle case i bought from Joanns that everything is in. I have a ton of circulars now and they are all jammed into a pocket. I'd like to come up with a better way to store them. But I haven't come up with anything yet.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
#11 of 19 Old 03-03-2006, 10:44 AM

I have a needle case i bought from Joanns that everything is in. I have a ton of circulars now and they are all jammed into a pocket. I'd like to come up with a better way to store them. But I haven't come up with anything yet.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
#12 of 19 Old 03-04-2006, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin
my DP wrote a computer program for my cell phone that tracks all the needles I own
Now, THAT is a GREAT idea! I haven't been knitting very long, but I've already bought duplicate needles by accident!

I love all the other ideas on this thread for what to do with the actual needles themselves, too. Seems like the circs are what's stumping many of us...
#13 of 19 Old 03-04-2006, 10:51 AM

if you are interested in a Needle Niche from Cynthia at Rumpknits, you could email her for a quote. There is a "contact me" link on her site.
#14 of 19 Old 03-04-2006, 11:35 PM

wendy at finicky llama (one of th midday faire mamas) made me a very cool roll pouch for my straight needles. it holds most of them, but my huge ones plus the ones i use most frequently are in those cool lantern moon plastic vases on my dresser.

i've got two cool vintage fabric cases for dpns, and dh got me some clear plastic ones with pink binding (i think it was for a breast cancer fund raiser) that i like a lot too.
#15 of 19 Old 03-06-2006, 01:28 PM

I have 2 cases that roll - the one for my straight needles was made by a friend and is similar to the one in SnB. The smaller one for my dpns looks like that, but is actually a paintbrush case I got at Joann for around $5 or 6.
#16 of 19 Old 03-07-2006, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorysgirl1
and dh got me some clear plastic ones with pink binding (i think it was for a breast cancer fund raiser) that i like a lot too.

I've seen those in various sizes at my LYS. I think I'm going to try to sew some with fabric leftovers to imitate them.
#17 of 19 Old 03-07-2006, 09:39 AM

This isn't very original, but I just used the clear glass canning jars to hold my needles.

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Simple Living, Joyful Homemaking, Homeschooling Mom of 6
#18 of 19 Old 03-07-2006, 11:20 AM

I have a heavy ceramic crock that they go in pencil cup style- the mason jar wasn't heavy enough to balance the long straight needles- but there is still a certain heavy sound that crockery makes as it's knocked over just before the tinkling sound of a shower of itty bitty doublepointed sock needles start raining down on the floor... ugh- not the greatest system.

I also have a set of Denise needles (since X-mas) and they are my mainstay needles right now- I am annoyed a little by something in their carry case design- no spot for finishing sewing needles! I wind up wedging my needle under the row of the fat needles - and keep a flat metal Susan Bates Guage inside the case too- but it would rate big in "nice" if it had it's own spot built in- like a flat pocket in the vinyl cover. I think that the denise needle set would also benefit from a tiny pocket (like the rosin compartment in a violin case) for stitch markers. The Denise set, in it's booklike form- is soooo nifty.

My "system" leaves much to be desired- keeping my different projects in clear zip garment bags has been a great improvement for me- it will hold the knitting, the needles, the patten or the book, the yarn- keeps everything clean and not snagged up - and is easy to grab and go with the diaper bag, baby, ...kids! where are your shoes!?
#19 of 19 Old 03-07-2006, 01:34 PM

Mine are just in a drawer in my "yarn dresser" but I really would love to sew a needle case.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page