I hate PUL!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2006, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just learning to sew for the first time this year and I've been making fitteds with the VB AIO pattern and doing OK, so, I though, hey, I'll try it with some PUL and make an AIO, except you cut out a piece of PUL a little wider in the legs than the inner layers, right? So I can get the fabrics to line up when I sew - by the time I get to the end, the pull ends up 2-3 inches too short??? How the hell did that happen????? I hate PUL and I hate the VB pattern and I hate all of you!!!!!

OK, I'm fine now. I don't really hate you guys. I just needed to scream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2006, 01:33 AM

I have heard that PUL is tricky to work with. It feeds at a different rate than the other fabrics.

I am about ready to start my first project with PUL, so I may be posting like you are soon!

I have heard it's best to sew with the PUL against the feed dogs, and it's OK to pin, but you have to pin within the 1/4" seam allowance so that you don't make too many holes in the PUL that would lead to leakage.

Hopefully someone with some real-life experience with PUL will answer, too!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:53 AM

sewing projects can be like that. I sympathize. You can definately pick it out and redo it. My first PUL diaper got resewn about 4-5 times on the one leg casing. Combination of my sewing machine going nuts and not having any experience with PUL. I did get it finished though and the pin holes totally sealed after a hot wash and dry. Definately pin or clip or something to keep your layers together when you're sewing and also try sewing with the PUL down (towards the feed dogs, not right against the foot) go slowly. You can do it. It WILL work when you're done and after the first one or 2 you'll be sewing them like a pro!

Remember too, while it's a bit of a pain to get PUL, it's actually a very reasonably priced fabric.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:07 AM

To be honest, PUL is one of the eaisest things I've worked with so far. Now birdseye, there is a fabric that I'd like to never see again!

I would reccomend doing little lines of stiches (maybe 5 or so stiches) every few inches along the edges REALLY close to the edge... just to hold everything in place for when you sew the real hem. I hate pins and I don't really use them on anything I sew, and this works for me on projects where I'm having trouble keeping everything together.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125
To be honest, PUL is one of the eaisest things I've worked with so far. Now birdseye, there is a fabric that I'd like to never see again!
That's the exact opposite of me! I work really well with birdseye. I just don't think it's that soft, so I'm going to try something more daring next time, like bamboo!! The only reason I was even going to make an AIO was because my wonderful DH sometimes forgets to put a cover on, even with a snappied prefold. He just skips that step and then we have a damp baby an hour later. Maybe I should try fleece?

I have already developed a zen-like acceptance of the fact I cannot cut straight or sew even seems. But I have to remember I'm just new. Two months ago I couldn't even thread a machine.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:05 AM

I've been sewing for awhile (I started sewing diapers in July/August and have made quite a few now. I also have made several outfits for our daughter 'cause it's fun! I made a quilt for my wife our first Christmas together as well and have made 2 baby quilts since, though not for my own child )

I still can't sew a straight line to save my life! I like patterns that have a bit of wiggle room to accomodate my wiggly lines!

Really, you will get the hang of it. Don't give up on PUL, really it's only going to take you a little bit and you'll be set!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the encouragement! I probably need to sleep on it and then try again.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I say PIN LIKE MAD to get the legs to match up. I first pin the front and back of the diaper where the legs start. That gets us evened up there. Then I see where the middle of both pieces is, and pin there. Then I just keep finding the middle of each non-pinned area until it's all pinned. Straightening the leg can help get the two fabrics even, but it will not lie flat like a normal seam.

Sew slowly, and if your PUL is feeding too fast (sounds like it is, or maybe your other layer is stretching?), take one hand and give the PUL a bit of resistance so it can't feed quite as quickly. It can be tricky to do this, since we only have two hands. But you'll get it! Just practice practice practice.

And I've not had any problems with pin holes in my PUL, as long as I wash and dry on hot before using it. I don't have a heavy wetter though.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 03-03-2006, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Boscopup. I was worried about pinning too much. I'll have to try those suggestions. That is tricky stuff!! Grrrrrr. Arrrgh.

So here's another potential source of frustration. If I want to make a PUL cover with a woven top, the wovens aren't that stretchy, so do I have to make the woven piece a little bit bigger than the PUL? Or should I just stick with PUL and FOE lest I become a homicidal maniac trying to work with PUL and wovens? Or screw the PUL and just do fleece covers? Can I say "screw" on he MDC forums?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:46 PM

So hang on,are you sewing a stretchy fabric with the PUL ,because maybe to practise it would be easier to sew a more stable fabric,just until you are an expert,which lets face it you will be soon!!!!!

It is all just brilliant practise isn't it?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using unbleached birdseye. It's stretchy but not too much.

Fabric confuses me. My dream is to be able t feel fleece and tell if it's the kind that wicks or kind that repels, because most fabric stores don't list fleece weights or even names, just uninformative names like "Solid Fleece" and "Fashion Fleece." I went to Joann's and asked if the carried Fold Over Elastic and all three ladies stared at me like I was speaking in tongues. What, doesn't everyone speak "Cloth Diaper?"
Old 03-03-2006, 07:36 PM

In my experience the people at Jo-Ann's do not only NOT speak Cloth Diaper they do not even speak Sewing. LOL
Old 03-03-2006, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Off Topic - Megamom, I love your blog. Where did you get those flashing banners underneath "All About Me?" I want some of those for My blog!
Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 PM

Hey thanks! Those are called Blinkies. Do a google search with the word Blinkies and you will find one for everything under the sun!

User Tag List