Homemade "Babylegs" ? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 131 Old 10-02-2006, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI,
Thanks for posting that instruction. Yours came out so cute! Now are the photos by the order of the making?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamom View Post
fairy tale- those are SO cute!!

naturally-Those are what I used, the knee/ankle pack. (I thought I was getting 2 pairs of knee socks, DOH!) They turned out really well. They stay up and don't cut into their thighs. They are also long enough that I can pull them down over their toes if the floor is cold. The cuffs are really easy, it takes 10 minutes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/babyhopes/tags/babylegs/ I know thats been posted before, but there it is again.

I also bought a couple pairs of the super cute toe socks for dd. I just cut the toes off and made an elastic casing at the bottom. They are really cute, but they do dig into her though a little bit after a while.

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#62 of 131 Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 AM

I think so. There may be one out of sync or something, but its all pretty self explanitory.
#63 of 131 Old 10-02-2006, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks! I actually made some out of fleece before this thread a year or so ago - dd lked to be nakey butt but it was cold so i whipped soe big poofy leg warmers out of fleece and let her run around with the leg warmers, a hoodie and slippers all day with her little butt hanging out - lol! And my step mom knitted her soem cute ones too!
#64 of 131 Old 10-02-2006, 10:21 PM

One more suggestion...
If you're planning on using elastic that will be an the baby's upper thigh, you might want to consider using 1 in waist band elastic...The thinner elastic would be more apt to leave deep marks on baby's thigh. The thicker is more comfortable.
#65 of 131 Old 10-05-2006, 03:09 AM

I found some REALLY cute boyish knee highs at target tonight for $3.99/pr. They were kind of funky/punky, kinda like Harley Davidson chic. I got one with a guitar that says, "rock on" and another one with a dragon or something. I saw another pair with skulls that I wanted.
#66 of 131 Old 10-05-2006, 03:22 AM

i *always* wear knee socks.. so i just wait till they are worn out then cut the feet off.. i dont sew a cuff on the bottom because i like the boot cut look better than a tight cuff.. but thats just me. we also use them as arm warmers in our house

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#67 of 131 Old 10-06-2006, 12:20 AM

This thread is so crafty! Some days I let my toddler pick out his own clothing, and some days he chooses my or DH socks, they go all the way up his legs! At least now I know he is not the only one making that particular fashion statment!
#68 of 131 Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 PM

Ok and yet another question to add to the bunch ... we are due with our first child in 3 weeks (a boy) and I'd like to make some. Do they have to be women's knee socks or can they be girls sized knee socks? The reason I ask is that Target has 3 pairs for $2.98 on sale in blue and the color is plain and perfect - just not sure if girls knee socks are ok for sizing for an infant... any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
-Alison
#69 of 131 Old 10-14-2006, 09:05 PM

Ok here is a link to the ones I made... found girls knee socks at Target (2 pair for $2) and made these... they aren't all that interesting but we are having a boy so they can't be too girly....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...y/babylegs.jpg

Now i just need to find FUN boy-ish socks and I'll be good to go!
#70 of 131 Old 10-15-2006, 03:40 PM

I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying this thread. I EC so this will come in super handy with our baby. I didn't discover babylegs with our first so I am excited to make these for baby number 2
#71 of 131 Old 10-15-2006, 11:07 PM

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the Kohl's near me had really cute women's knee socks for $2.40 a pair (they were on a major sale clearence rack). Mainly girly colors but I got a few that will be good for a boy.

AND Old Navy has girl size knee socks for 3 for $9 - really really cute colors and several really cute for boys!

Ok that's my sock sale update for today :-) This can be so addicting!
#72 of 131 Old 10-18-2006, 12:12 PM

i made some leg warmers that i knitted, but you could also make 'em on a round knitting loom. easy, quick, warm, and stretchy!
#73 of 131 Old 10-19-2006, 11:35 AM

very new to knitting. do you just knit a rectangle and then stitch up the sides?
#74 of 131 Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 AM

basically...or you can use circular needles. i did a cuff on each end.
#75 of 131 Old 10-19-2006, 11:48 AM

My step mom made some with this furry fluffy stuff and she just used this circular loom type of thing.
#76 of 131 Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
My step mom made some with this furry fluffy stuff and she just used this circular loom type of thing.
Are there instructions (preferably with pictures) for those on the internet somewhere? I am VERY new to knitting-just bought a "Learn how to knit" kit for kids at Hobby Lobby yesterday I saw those circular looms there, but didn't see any instructions on how to use them.

One more question - I don't have a sewing machine, so is there a way for me to finish the cut ends of the toe socks? I have a couple pairs that I don't wear and wanted to try this! TIA!
#77 of 131 Old 11-20-2006, 01:19 PM

: :

one love

#78 of 131 Old 11-20-2006, 02:13 PM

I finally got around to making my babylegs for ds yesterday! I had 3 pairs of knee socks and 3 pairs of matching toddler foldover cuff socks. I cut off the feet from all the socks & sewed the cuffs from the toddler socks onto the big socks. The whole project probably took me only about 45 minutes (although I did it in chunks of time while ds was playing), including cleaning up the fuzz & threads & sewing machine.
#79 of 131 Old 11-20-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymamma View Post
Are there instructions (preferably with pictures) for those on the internet somewhere? I am VERY new to knitting-just bought a "Learn how to knit" kit for kids at Hobby Lobby yesterday I saw those circular looms there, but didn't see any instructions on how to use them.

One more question - I don't have a sewing machine, so is there a way for me to finish the cut ends of the toe socks? I have a couple pairs that I don't wear and wanted to try this! TIA!
I somehow missed this. I believe she just got a little kit too. She said it is sooo simple. As for fiishing maybe you could hand sew? It doesnt take a very crazy machine. My little sis can do small stuff like this on her 50.00 beggier machine that i got for her on sale at hancock fabrics.
#80 of 131 Old 11-21-2006, 02:35 AM

Thanks for all the great links and pics Mamas! I can't wait to make some! (as if I need another project!
#81 of 131 Old 11-26-2006, 07:51 PM

I felted a couple of wool sweaters to make mittens out of - just cut out mitten shapes and whip-stitched the edges with yarn. Very much my type of project (easy - I found the idea in a Highlights magazine). Mittens turned out great.

Now I have 4 left-over arms that I don't want to discard. I thought they looked like they could be made into winter babylegs. (or do you think felted wool would be too itchy? I don't think it's that bad.)

I could send them to someone (for free) if you want to play with them. They are cuffed on one end because they are sweater sleeves. The other end is raw. I was going to do a yarn whip stich to hold them, but seeing the cuffs that you ladies put on the socks made me think that the arms would be better off in your hands rather than mine.

Besides, I don't have a baby to make the babylegs for!

Does anyone want them? PM me your mailing address (in the US or Canada, please).

One sweater is striped green, purple, yellow, blues...very good for a boy (but I'd put them on a girl, too). The other sweater is mossy-limey green with a fair isle design on the upper arm. Suitable for either gender. I mention the gender, because some of you seem to have problems finding cute boy-suitable socks.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#82 of 131 Old 11-30-2006, 03:47 PM

I really want to make some but we don't shop at walmart, and I can't find any that are so cheap it would actually save me money from buying the actual name brand.
All of our BLs have been bought used though, so, I guess I am saving some money.
#83 of 131 Old 11-30-2006, 04:53 PM

Kim, you may have some good luck at Target or Old Navy, if you shop at either of those stores. I don't shop at Wal-Mart either, but have managed to find knee socks on clearance for $2-4, plus toddler socks for about a buck (I use the cuffs off of those to cuff my babylegs). $5 for a great pair of bl works out well for us.
#84 of 131 Old 11-30-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayayenay View Post
Kim, you may have some good luck at Target or Old Navy, if you shop at either of those stores. I don't shop at Wal-Mart either, but have managed to find knee socks on clearance for $2-4, plus toddler socks for about a buck (I use the cuffs off of those to cuff my babylegs). $5 for a great pair of bl works out well for us.
I have. I even saw some super cute ones at old navy last weekend, alas it just wasn't cheap enough for me. (I'm pretty cheap).
#85 of 131 Old 12-01-2006, 12:23 AM

I couldn't find ANY printed knee socks at the local Wal-Mart... Target was much cheaper, and it cost me $3 for the socks... that's still $9 cheaper than buying babylegs. I now have 5 pairs... all very cute!!
#86 of 131 Old 12-02-2006, 03:30 AM

I was in a dollar store called "Honks" the other day they had tons of different socks that would work.
#87 of 131 Old 12-06-2006, 03:17 PM

Wow I usually only lurk here. But this thread was the most info I have gotten in a long while. It was really a great help. Thanks so much to everyone for there input.

#88 of 131 Old 12-06-2006, 09:23 PM

check out my blog and see the Christmas "baby legs" I made for my little boy.
I think they turned out pretty cute.
http://blueberrymama.blogspot.com
#89 of 131 Old 12-11-2006, 11:49 PM

So, we went to Target today ... for less than three pair retail, I'm going to be able to make ds#3 4 or 5 "baby legs" (can't remember how many socks I bought), and I made ds#2 and ds#1 "Power Legs". They love it when I make something for them, and we are in a big Super Hero period right now, so we created Power Legs ... they look so dang cute (will have to take pics at some time). Not that I need *anything* else sewing/craft wise to work on right now, but they really are fast to make.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#90 of 131 Old 12-12-2006, 01:59 AM

dang, I'm jealous! I went to Target last week and all the socks were $5.99. I guess I gotta keep a look out for cheap socks now! I did buy 2 pair and made some cute babyleggz... The hardest part was keeping my kids off the sewing machine and not unwinding all my thread! Sewing is a pain w/ them right now. Anyway, I'm really proud of myself and happy to give these as gifts! Thanks, mamas!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page