Is DWR necessary to keep PUL from wicking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-14-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been looking for solid color 1 mil PUL with the DWR coating on the fabric but can't find any anywhere. I know one of the yahoo group co-ops just did a PUL co-op but unfortunately I missed it. I've looked through all the fabric sources in the resources link...no luck! Anyone have any leads for me? TIA.

Dawn, mom to 3 great kids and fishnoodles cloth diapers
#2 of 14 Old 03-14-2006, 04:31 PM

I think you best bet is just to buy the PUL and put the DWR on yourself. You can buy Nikwax from online camping stores or OSDS and you just put it in your washer with your PUL and it comes out coated OR you can get the spray on type for AIOs. I don't have much personal experience with it, but was looking into getting some just yesterday and decided that it wasn't worth it. DWR, even the stuff fabrite puts on, washes off eventually so you have to reappy it every few months or so and it only helps with the fabric wicking which hasn't been a problem for me so far. I wanted to use it on my print PUL, but can't really afford it right now. I would be interested in what other people think or use though.

Also has anyone ever used Scotchguard or some other DWR than Nikwax on their diapers? Most of the stuff i found IRL was cheaper than the Nikwax that I could only find online.
#3 of 14 Old 03-14-2006, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

So...you don't get wicking with your PUL that doesn't have DWR? I ordered some solid 1 mil PUL from OSDS (where they specifically say they don't do DWR) but then I got worried because the Darling Diaper pattern says that this DWR coating is the most important thing to look for when selecting a PUL fabric. I have been worried that the dipes I make with the OSDS fabric will wick. Is DWR really necessary???

I am going to more accurately rename this thread and hope that lots of folks weigh in on the question...

Dawn, mom to 3 great kids and fishnoodles cloth diapers
#4 of 14 Old 03-14-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeTimesAMama
I ordered some solid 1 mil PUL from OSDS (where they specifically say they don't do DWR) but then I got worried because the Darling Diaper pattern says that this DWR coating is the most important thing to look for when selecting a PUL fabric. I have been worried that the dipes I make with the OSDS fabric will wick. Is DWR really necessary???
ohmygosh, I was thinking the *exact* same thing!! I actually went and ordered the wash-in DWR they have at OSDS along with my PUL order, after reading the DD instructions... I figured I'd wash the PUL with the DWR before making pockets with it, since it would be a no-no to wash finished pockets w/DWR (woudn't it, because then the fleece/microsuede would repel water??).

ugh... this stuff is WAY more complicated than Mei Tais!!:
#5 of 14 Old 03-15-2006, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Keep in mind that Amber's instructions are based on experience with a HEAVY wetter. If you have a super heavy wetter, you may need DWR PUL. My DS is a moderate wetter, and non-DWR PUL works fine for him. Basically, PUL is waterproof, but if you have any absorbent inner fabrics touching the knit side of the PUL (as happens in a T&T diaper), if the inner fabric gets soaked, you can get wicking at the leg because the liquid actually starts moving along the knit side of the PUL. DWR prevents that from happening.

You don't HAVE to use DWR though... Try one without and see how it works on your child. You may or may not need it. I use 1mil PUL from OSDS, and haven't had problems with wicking unless I leave a diaper on too long (and that's with an AIO that has a velour inner - microfleece or suedecloth would probably wick less).

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#6 of 14 Old 03-15-2006, 12:27 PM

The DD pattern is what got me looking at getting some DWR. I can see how it would be really important if you were using cotton print PUL and wanted the outside to roll in, but I KNOW it isn't necessary for some stuff like pockets with the same size inner and outter. I have a bunch of pockets I made from solid and print PUL and they work great without any DWR coating. I think the DWR is just added insurance.
#7 of 14 Old 03-15-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
Basically, PUL is waterproof, but if you have any absorbent inner fabrics touching the knit side of the PUL (as happens in a T&T diaper), if the inner fabric gets soaked, you can get wicking at the leg because the liquid actually starts moving along the knit side of the PUL. DWR prevents that from happening.
But if you put the knit side toward baby will that cut down on the wicking?
#8 of 14 Old 03-15-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihrimah
But if you put the knit side toward baby will that cut down on the wicking?
:
#9 of 14 Old 03-15-2006, 03:48 PM

I've never had a problem with the dipes I've made (and thus far all my PUL has been from OSDS, so no DWR)... and they've been used on a toddler and a nb...

ETA: thought I'd mention that most of the AIOs I have are also based on the VB pattern, so they're t&t (well, partly... those of you with the pattern know... i.e. no topstitching at the legs )

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#10 of 14 Old 03-15-2006, 04:05 PM

PUL has the waterproofing on it, you only need to spray once it starts leaking which could be a very long time
#11 of 14 Old 04-21-2006, 10:31 AM

I think fuzzy bunz are 2mil because the fabric seems thicker and not as strectchy as the 1mil I prefer to sew with. I don't sew diapers commercially but I've sewn several batches of pocket diapers for my two boys.
I've never had a problem with wicking from 100% polyester knit PULs, 1mil or 2mil. However, I once tried a 100% cotton knit PUL 2mil which wicked horribly around the legs. I sprayed them with Knikwax but it washes out after several launderings. Now I make sure my PUL fabrics are polyester not cotton.
#12 of 14 Old 04-21-2006, 11:15 AM

I bought 1 mil PUL from OSDS and have had no problems with wicking at all. Having bought 1 and 2 mil PUL, I think Fuzzi Bunz are made from 1 mil b/c the fabric isn't as stiff. 2 mil seems stiffer to me. I could be totally wrong though.
#13 of 14 Old 04-21-2006, 12:49 PM

No problems here either. I have only used non dwr PUL from OSDS so far. I turn and topstitch and have had no problem with wicking from the legs with the DD aio pattern, the VB aio pattern, the VB aio turned into a pocket, my own front closing pocket or my own side closing pocket. Even when the absorbant layers are SATURATED we don't have wicking problems so I don't really feel the DWR is necessary. I do have a bottle of nikwax spray and it did help some diapers I had made out of some other material but it wasn't PUL so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

You can find nikwax locally at high end outdoor stores where they sell gortex jackets and good camping supplies usually. I like the spray better than the wash in kind since you have more control over where you apply it.

I've also used the Amway waterproof spray. they both work just fine.
#14 of 14 Old 04-21-2006, 05:31 PM

Add me to the 'no DWR, no wicking' camp. Even when the diaper should have been changed eons ago, no wicking at the legs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page