Mystery Material & Finished 2nd Attempt Diaper! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...here is a link to check out some photos of that mystery material I had mentioned yesterday.http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/andrearetel/my_photos
A couple of other things about it...when you nick it, you can rip it just like any other material to get straight lines without cutting it. On my messed up test diaper I had made day before yesterday, I threw it into the dryer last night and over dried it on purpose to see how it would stand up to heat. The stuff passed with flying colors. There was no shrinkage.
Also, at this link are photos of my second attempt at making my version of an AIO. Even the baby got to test it! It fitss him perfect! I was going to bring it to work but he decided that he needed to continue the test by peeing in it! No leak! Let me know what you think!
-Andrea
#2 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 11:57 AM

Ooh this is the material that I found awhile ago!!! I made a diaper cover liner and I throw sopping wet diapers in it and have never had a leak!!! I made sandwich AIO's too, they worked pretty well, but I had wicking around the legs from lack of a serger. I have washed and dried like crazy with this material and it doesn't shrink. Did you sandwich that material in that AIO?? I know the ones I made my son and daughter can wear them for a couple of hours or a couple of pees.
#3 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, I did the sandwich thing. I realize that I've done a lot of things differently than what most people do but I wanted to start making something immediatley that looked good and did not leak. I used a 100% cotton print on the outside, this weird material in the center, then a super flannel inner. The pad is made of 4 layers of microfiber towels with a couple of scraps of fleece for good measure. I didn't even realize than my son had pottied until after I had taken his diaper off.
I think I'm going to go back to Wal-Mart and buy the entire bolt of this stuff! I really like it a lot!
#4 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 PM

:doh I didn't mean a diaper cover liner I meant a diaper pail liner!!! Maybe your's didn't wick beacuse you are using such absorbant materials,flannel, fleece, and microfiber. I just used flannel and cotton, plus mine are AIO's not fitted so they don't have to ruffles. Don't know if any of this makes a difference?? I do know that all those absorbant materials will make drying time a lot longer, just so you know.
#5 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 12:50 PM

What was this fabric called and where did you find it in the walmart fabric section, was it next to the interfacing or the flannel or the fleece. I know all walmarts are different, but it will give me an idea of where to start looking cause I wanna try some ,
#6 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

At the Wal-Mart I went to, it was with a variety of other mixed stuff on one of their huge displays. I just went through all of the displays and started to touch everything! That's when I found it. Did the pictures of the diaper show up? I think I posted the link wrong to my photo album...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/andrea...v7tjEB_1K5FCgK
-Andrea
#7 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 01:08 PM

Why can't i get MY TABS to be that perfectly square? NOT FAIR *throwing temper tantrum*
#8 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 01:12 PM

I can't really tell what it is. Maybe nylon?

That dipe is so cute!! I put my sewing machine away for awhile but I'm breaking it back out today. Hope mine turn out that good!
#9 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 01:25 PM

That diaper is SUPER cute! Did you put gussets on the sides? What pattern did you use?
#10 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 01:27 PM

It looks kind of like nylon to me. And they can treat that stuff to be fire resistant... maybe? What about breathablility? It looks like it may breath a little, I don't really worry about that, i just won't use vinyl or whatever plastic pants are made of.
#11 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

As I have mentioned before, I will be more than happy to send out a large sample (enough to make your own diaper just for your time!) to any one that thinks they can figure out what this stuff is.
#12 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 02:38 PM

i didn't read the first post i'm off to find it now but what does the fabric fell like does it fell plastic on one side or anything
#13 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

You can see the weave (?) on one side and it is slicker on the other. Very smooth but soft as well. You can bunch it up in your hand and it will not leave a bunch of odd wrinkles. I really like how I can rip it when getting ready to sew.
#14 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

My first description is under the post "Had to laugh at my first cd"
#15 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 03:13 PM

I don't know what it is, but I want some! If you find out let us know. Do you have a fabric store in your area? Maybe you can take it there and they will be able to tell you. Your dipe is beautiful!

Jamie

Jamie ~ mama to Ryan (2.24.05) Luke (12.5.07)  Henry (6.27.09) & Josiah (due 4/11)
#16 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 03:53 PM

What a fun diaper!! LOVE the print you chose... adorable on your cutie-pie. And how brave of you to try a mystery fabric!
#17 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 03:56 PM

I love your diaper. And I'm jealous of your perfectly square tabs too! Do you remember what it was called on the bolt or your slip? I'd like to get some to try.
#18 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 06:44 PM

I went to Walmart today and I think I found some of your mystery fabric. =) It's in the dryer right now.

Jamie

Jamie ~ mama to Ryan (2.24.05) Luke (12.5.07)  Henry (6.27.09) & Josiah (due 4/11)
#19 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Tenecwalker...If you got the same stuff I did, it feels really nice to touch! Let me know after you dry it. Also, does it melt a bit if you burn it?
Bufflum...I'm always the one to try something different! There are way too many kinds of fabrics out there to just stick to the same few...at least that's what I think!
#20 of 32 Old 03-15-2006, 11:41 PM

Love the cute diaper on your cutie! The fabric looks to me like it may be tent material??? Like Nylon or gortex something like that. Hmm... hope someone figures it out.
#21 of 32 Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 AM

This stuff feels super nice to the touch. I haven't tried to burn it yet. I had to work tonight. Does yours have a crosshatch pattern in it? Mine did fine in a hot wash and a run through the drier. I'm going to try and make a dipe tomorrow. If it works I'm going to go buy the rest. It was only $1/yard.

Jamie

#22 of 32 Old 03-16-2006, 02:29 AM

From the burn test and photos in your picture link, I am almost positive you have coated nylon. Nylon melts a bit first, then will hold a flame. Good job finding it so cheap!
#23 of 32 Old 03-16-2006, 03:36 PM

Oh ya that is really cheap I paid 4.99/yd CDN
#24 of 32 Old 03-16-2006, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Should I assume that coated nylon is good for making these water-proof diapers? I went ahead and gave my mil the okay to buy the entire bolt and because she works there...I'll be getting it for (you're all going to kill me!) .90 cents a yard!!! It looks like I was the only person ever to purchase anything off of this bolt and it's huge! and also 60 inches wide!
#25 of 32 Old 03-16-2006, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Tenecwalker....almost forgot...yes it does have a cross hatch on one side. I just called it the weave. On the other side you can't really see it. I will take it to a fabric store this weekend. Hmmm...coated nylon
#26 of 32 Old 03-16-2006, 07:48 PM

Hey, I think I bought some of that mystery material at Walmart the other day! It was a dollar a yard. I've never made a diaper before but I thought it was so cheap I could experiment a bit. The saleslady said it was water-resistant. I just wanted to make a wrap with it and use a prefold. Think it'll work?

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#27 of 32 Old 03-16-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarun
I used a 100% cotton print on the outside, this weird material in the center, then a super flannel inner. The pad is made of 4 layers of microfiber towels with a couple of scraps of fleece for good measure.
What is super flannel? And what are microfiber towels?f this works, I'm game for trying it.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#28 of 32 Old 03-16-2006, 11:04 PM

ok, so I think I found some. It was at walmart in the clearance area for $1/yard. I found mine in red and black though, not the cream. It seems the same, dull on one side, shiny on the other, and water definately just pills up on it. Is yours pretty thin, relative to like fleece I guess?

My question though, how do you/I know it's breathable? It definately isn't the plastic pants stuff (I think), but if it's so water resistant, how do I know it's breathable? Thanks!!

Leslie
#29 of 32 Old 03-17-2006, 01:31 PM

Well I washed mine and the water seems to go through now, oh well
#30 of 32 Old 03-17-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma
What is super flannel? And what are microfiber towels?f this works, I'm game for trying it.
Dunno about super flannel,I think it is flannel which has fuzzy on both sides,and is sometimes called Diaper flannel in your part of the world!
Microfibre towels are very thirsty cleaning cloths,sometimes found in the car/auto section of shops!
They shouldn't be put NEXT to babas skin,as they are so drying,it may make them dried out,but they are great for stuffers and under another fabric for soakers/doublers!!

HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page