Anyone ever made a Play Canopy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 03-17-2006, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like one like this:

http://www.rosiehippo.com/productdet...upnumber=F712U

But its so pricey, I was wondering if I could buy the silk from dharmatrading and figure out how to make one.

Any ideas?
#2 of 29 Old 03-17-2006, 05:42 PM

I would love to know too
#3 of 29 Old 03-17-2006, 08:04 PM

In Central america, they use a wire circle at the top (can be made from clothes hangers, and most of the time it is there) The purpose of the canopy there is for mosquitos... so there made from a nylon net. The one in the pic is pretty big, I bet if you just figured out how high you want it, and sew yards of material together, gather them at the top & let them fan out at the bottom. Kinda like making curtains in a way , but there going around a circle instead of across your window.

Maybe you could make it outa some really light translucent cotton...would be less expensive?

I would like something like this too I was thinking to get my son interested in having his "own" bed. But i'm tied between a canopy or Tipi?

But yeah I'd definately try & make it then buy it... you might want to try rigging up some sheets first to see if there is some interest in playing "in a canopy" before putting alot of work into it , and dishin out the money for silk. I was trying to get dinner ready the other night and my son (2 yrs) & the neibours kids were under my feet so i rigged up a play sheet in the door, they played with it for at least an hour! LOL
#4 of 29 Old 03-17-2006, 08:23 PM

I think there was one in a Martha Stewart Kids but I can't find it. I did find this

http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/htm...vet_cover.html

I'll look for more later, I'm lat for my St Patricks day party!

Jess, mom to Phelan Quinn (9/23/95), Wiley Rogue (10/29/03), and Victor Xerxes (9/10/08) and still married to my giant!
#5 of 29 Old 03-17-2006, 08:26 PM

:
#6 of 29 Old 03-18-2006, 12:41 AM

HEy back again, I checked out sheer silk on e-bay woo eee mamas it is expensive stuff!

you probably need at least 8 or 10 yards... you would almost have to buy a whole bolt to get a deal...

IT's just a matter of finding a deal! or swaping out the fabric for a cheaper one, but i love the transparentness of the one in the photoyou posted

#7 of 29 Old 03-18-2006, 01:47 AM

Dh and I made one as a gift for our goddaughter last summer. The idea for it came from an issue of Family Fun magazine. I found a link for one though it's not the one we made:

http://familyfun.go.com/decorating-i...orations2.html

Basically we had a wooden embroidery hoop, some number of yards of sheer fabric, some strips of a different (woven cotton) fabric, and some artificial flowers. We hot glued the sheer fabric around the hoop, leaving an opening. Then we glued the fabric strips (about 1-2" wide, 8ish" long) at intervals around the inside of the hoop and then tied the loose ends together at the top. This is how the canopy was hung. Then we glued the artificial flowers around the top of the hoop for extra decoration. It was VERY easy (I'm not at ALL crafty) and our 4 year old goddaughter loved it. It's hanging over her bed now, in fact.

Have fun!
Jill
#8 of 29 Old 03-18-2006, 02:11 AM

I just saw directions for one of those at Jo-Anns today. It was on one of those idea cards...I have all boys, I didn't even grab one. It was all cute and flowery. But I was thinking, what if you used a big embroidery hoop? Good luck!
#9 of 29 Old 03-18-2006, 02:12 PM

or a hula hoop would work too.

Allison
Mom to 4 daughters and a ? due end of April
#10 of 29 Old 03-19-2006, 12:45 PM

It must have been Family Fun I saw it in, not Martha. Which would explain why I couldn't find it!

Jess, mom to Phelan Quinn (9/23/95), Wiley Rogue (10/29/03), and Victor Xerxes (9/10/08) and still married to my giant!
#11 of 29 Old 03-20-2006, 01:08 PM

I have a pattern from one of the big 3 companies - Simplicity, McCalls or Butterick. I am packing to move otherwise I'd let you know which one it it. They are quite simple to make. If you order with a few people you can get a bolt of silk from Dharma and save some money or go to Joann's or Hancock's if you have one and use a coupon.
#12 of 29 Old 03-28-2006, 12:45 AM

I was in the Fabric Place today and saw a Leisure Arts book about decorating girls bedrooms and the photo on the front had a play canopy.

http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needle...ec=60&skill=CF

Good luck
#13 of 29 Old 03-29-2006, 12:19 AM

Have you considered using netting instead of silk? I got colored netting at Hobby Lobby for .77 cents a yard.
#14 of 29 Old 04-06-2006, 11:42 AM

i bought very thin silk from dharma on a bolt. it came to about $2/yd. i dyed it w/ kool aid (fun!) and used a huge quilting hoop for the top. add some ribbons, etc. for decoration. i had a pattern from a major pattern co. but i wasn't motivated enough to use it. i am intimidated by the combo of a pattern and a very large quantity of fabric. anyway, the whole thing cost me about $30 to make. its not as finished or professional looking as if i had used the pattern but it is cute and dd loves it (although she still wont sleep in her bed). have fun with it.
#15 of 29 Old 04-06-2006, 11:52 AM

So did you use the entire bolt?
#16 of 29 Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 PM

yup, the whole thing. it was either 11 or 13 yards. i thought about using netting as someone suggested but i love how floaty the silk is. and kool aid dying is fun. but the netting would definitly cut the cost even more.
#17 of 29 Old 04-11-2006, 02:01 PM

thaisilks.com has cheaper scarves....i think some long ones. I found their prices to be better than dharma. also, Joann's fabric has those little idea papers floating around the store...ask a clerk. I found a pattern for a canopy on one of those...for free! I'm going to combine netting with silk, to make it cheaper and give it more texture.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#18 of 29 Old 04-13-2006, 01:16 PM

McCalls 5123. Looks like it uses tulle, not silk.
#19 of 29 Old 05-04-2006, 11:44 PM

If you're near an Ikea, they sell these, made from netting, for about $20. I actually picked up a couple curtains from them, for about $5 each, of the same netting, and made my own using a .50 embroidery hoop. Worked pretty well...
#20 of 29 Old 05-10-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeans
thaisilks.com has cheaper scarves....i think some long ones. I found their prices to be better than dharma. also, Joann's fabric has those little idea papers floating around the store...ask a clerk. I found a pattern for a canopy on one of those...for free! I'm going to combine netting with silk, to make it cheaper and give it more texture.
What size scarves did you buy? Its probably better to buy the scarves rather than the bolt silk so I don't have to hem it... but I'm trying to figure out the cost difference. The largest scarves I see are 22x 90. But then there would be lots of openings in it. Hmmm.
#21 of 29 Old 10-01-2006, 01:04 AM

I was just think about one of these net things today! I was sorting through some random fabrics I got for free, and found a huge piece of sheer (maybe it was a curtain?), and was wondering what the heck I would do with it, and I thought of these. And here is this thread. Personally, I would LOVE to try silk, because it's natural, and I'd love to dye it... but since $ is an issue, I think I'll use the free fabric I already have.

Mommy&Will: If you don't want the openings, you could attach the pcs of silk together every so often, and add a bit of decoration to hide the stitching, like a silk flower or whatever. Then there would be little "windows" in the canopy, which might add to the fun. Not sure if I'm explaining it well enough... it's hard to describe...
#22 of 29 Old 10-02-2006, 12:16 AM

iasberg, I love if, Ikea came to mind too, but your idea is even better. Great!
#23 of 29 Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 AM

I knew if I looked hard enough I'd find a thread here about this! Thanks!
#24 of 29 Old 01-25-2007, 05:01 PM

Woo hoo! And thanks for bumping this! Ds1 and dd saw these in a catalog lately and loved them - I'm going to try to make some for them.

A happy woman
#25 of 29 Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 PM

I bet a doll sized one would be fun too, and a good way to start out. Instead of a dollhouse, make a doll canopy and it can double as a model for a big one, so you can work out the kinks...
#26 of 29 Old 02-16-2007, 02:33 PM
suQ

I have also been trying to figure out how to make a play canopy. I came across a pattern by Simplicity, design #4069. I haven't looked at it too closely yet to see what they use to attach fabric too but was wondering about a larger diameter lamp shade that flares out quite a bit?
#27 of 29 Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Does anyone knowif a 16" embroidery hoop would be big enough? The fabric store here didn't have an 18"
#28 of 29 Old 10-27-2007, 03:41 PM

Just bumping this to see if anyone has any picture of homemade ones or any patterns that were successful.

I'm thinking of making one for DD for her 3rd b-day.
#29 of 29 Old 11-10-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
Just bumping this to see if anyone has any picture of homemade ones or any patterns that were successful.
I haven't made one yet, but I'm strongly considering this pattern. I like that it can be folded and packed away.

http://www.birchstreetclothing.com/g...D=9023&colID=3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page