new here and have loads of questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I'm Jennifer. I have been lurking here for a while now and it's time for me to post!

I am a newbie to the sewing world,

So far I have made two t-shirt dresses and pillowcase dress, not bad for a first try. I know NOTHING about sewing...It took me two days to figure out just how to thread the darn thing, and then another day to learn how to make a bobbin!!! LOL but in that short time I realize that I love to sew, now I just have to get good at it!!!

I am taking my first class tomorrow. It will teach me how to make a toddlers jumper dress. I am worried that I will really suck. The class requiered me to pre cut the pattern before class. I did this last night but am worried, was I just to trace and cut like I did???? Wasn't I suppose to make it bigger or something?. it just seems to easy of a thing to trace and cut like i did...

and Do I just do the same for the lining? I really feel as if I may screw this up...

I have loads of questions to ask you all!!! like what is bias tape used for and what is the proper way to meaure my little girl for a dress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2006, 12:13 PM

Could you tell us which pattern you are using? That may help for the specific questions.

Generally though, no you don't have to make the pattern bigger (there are a couple of european magazines that don't have seam allowances added, but for the most part you just cut on the line). Is it a lined dress? (I don't know how many toddler dresses are.) If so, it should say on the pattern "cut 2 of fabric, cut 2 of lining" or something like that (and yes, you do it the same way). If it isn't a lined dress, I suggest waiting for a bit more experience before trying to add your own.

There should be a measurement chart on the back of the pattern - the chest, waist, and hip measurements are the same places you would measure for the Sears Catalogue, for example (you can also get diagrams online). For a jumper, I think the chest, waist, and length would be the important measurements.

Bias tape is usually used to finish off neck and/or armhole seams if you don't have separate facings.

Hope that helps for your first questions!
Old 03-21-2006, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibre_artist
Could you tell us which pattern you are using? That may help for the specific questions.

Generally though, no you don't have to make the pattern bigger (there are a couple of european magazines that don't have seam allowances added, but for the most part you just cut on the line). Is it a lined dress? (I don't know how many toddler dresses are.) If so, it should say on the pattern "cut 2 of fabric, cut 2 of lining" or something like that (and yes, you do it the same way). If it isn't a lined dress, I suggest waiting for a bit more experience before trying to add your own.

There should be a measurement chart on the back of the pattern - the chest, waist, and hip measurements are the same places you would measure for the Sears Catalogue, for example (you can also get diagrams online). For a jumper, I think the chest, waist, and length would be the important measurements.

Bias tape is usually used to finish off neck and/or armhole seams if you don't have separate facings.

Thanks! Very helpful. yes it is a lined dress, the style of the dress is a John John jumper style: this is the web page and example

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1106

They say it's a starter class, but I worry that this may be a little over my head!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibre_artist

Thanks! Very helpful. yes it is a lined dress, the style of the dress is a John John jumper style: this is the web page and example

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1106

They say it's a starter class, but I worry that this may be a little over my head!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:03 PM

Very cute! I don't think it will be over your head. Lining is easy because you basically make 2 outfits and then stitch one inside the other. I've made lined pants a few times and almost prefer them to regular ones because all the fabric edges are tucked inside so they look nicer.

You'll have to post a picture here when you are done!

User Tag List