My DD AIO pattern review! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd put this in here...I know tons of people already use the pattern, so maybe I can get some feedback!

First of all, I really am not good at cutting out and taping, apparently. I had a heck of a time getting the pieces to match. Once I got them mostly-matching, I traced them onto interfacing and it's working fine, but I think one side is a bit "off" of the other now. I really prefer to have the entire pattern so I don't have to cut on the fold, so that is kind of a pain. I think I'm going to fold it in half, figure out what is different, and *try* to figure out how to fix it (or re-do it). I love the concept of printing out the pattern, but hate taping it together.

Second, a walking foot is a must for me--my inner layer is stretch terry. My first seam didn't match at the end because the terry stretched, once I put the walking foot on I was fine. I actually had no issues with the PUL, maybe beginner's luck on that one though! The dipe is pretty plain--turquoise PUL outer, turquoise stretch terry inner. I neeeeeeedddd some print PUL now!!!

Third, I am in love with the elastic method. My PUL rolls in perfectly, and I already loved sewing the elastic to the seam allowance! I was very skeptical about using a straight stitch instead of a three part zig zag for elastic, but actually it is stretching just fine. Does this only work for knit elastic? I haven't tried it on polybraid.

Fourth. The soaker. I do quick dry soakers attached to the back of the dipe. Is it just me, or is this soaker incredibly wide? I'm guessing that means more absorbant, but I'm afraid I'm going to get the soaker caught between the baby's leg and the dipe, causing wicking. I'm considering serging the sides again to narrow it a bit. I also used two layers of hemp terry topped with one layer of the stretch terry, and it curled a tad. I guess my differential feed was wrong...

Time and ease of use...A+++!!! I finished this dipe in an hour and 15 minutes, beginning to end including referring back to the directions several times (they are just saved on my computer because I wanted the color picture--I don't have a color printer). The color pictures were awesome and a huge help. That was my first try with this pattern, I'm sure I will get quicker. As a comparison, after making about 10 cuddlebuns, it still takes me an hour and 45 minutes to finish one, and they are serged, not T and T'd. After I go through it one more time, I bet I will remember without having to look at the directions--they are that clear and easy to follow. Also, I decided to back my hook tabs with cute flannel scraps, which was a pain in the rear and the print can barely be seen since they don't stick out far. Totally *not* worth the time for that one, I'm backing them with fleece from now on. So that will save me at least 10 minutes.

No picture...honestly it's just too plain It does look like the picture in the pattern though, so I'm pretty darn proud of it!!!

Any tips from seasoned DD pattern users?

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#2 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 12:47 AM

The soaker does seem big compared to the diaper, but it works great. I haven't had any wicking problems with this pattern and these diapers can go about 5+ hrs for me. Not the printed PUL ones, but the solids. Have fun and good luck!
#3 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 01:49 AM

I bought the pattern and was So Darn Excited to try it after reading the reviews here... but I don't have a serger. ... and I don't like tri-fold soakers, so I'm really trying to figure out what to do about that -- I didn't realize the design when I bought the pattern :

I'm thinking I'll just have to bite the big one and do a tri-fold soaker though.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#4 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 03:03 AM

What would you need a serger for? The soaker? I just used the overcast stitch on my sewing machine (haven't done one since I had my serger). I even think in the instructions she says to use the zig zag or overcast stitch. You don't have to do the trifold!!
#5 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
I bought the pattern and was So Darn Excited to try it after reading the reviews here... but I don't have a serger. ... and I don't like tri-fold soakers, so I'm really trying to figure out what to do about that -- I didn't realize the design when I bought the pattern :

I'm thinking I'll just have to bite the big one and do a tri-fold soaker though.
Is it an impossiblilty to Tand T soakers?

Back 10 years ago with first child in terry squares I made some lay in type booster for overnight,from flannel and I t and t'd them,they were very neat looking and always dried well!
I was being tight with thread,as i did overcasting on two or three and it seemed to be using reels of thread!!
#6 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 11:07 AM

I made my first one Tuesday and really liked it, too. Very easy!
#7 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathiasplace
What would you need a serger for? The soaker? I just used the overcast stitch on my sewing machine (haven't done one since I had my serger). I even think in the instructions she says to use the zig zag or overcast stitch. You don't have to do the trifold!!
Yup, she says to zigzag. I'd use the overcast stitch if your machine has it, otherwise, zigzag that sucker! Especially if it's an internal soaker, I think it will work just fine.

#8 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 05:50 PM

but doesn't the pattern even say that internal soakers can be problematic when trying to turn the dipe right-side-out??

honestly, i find trying to t&t soakers to be difficult sometimes if you're using too many layers -- i have just a very basic machine and it has problems with too many layers of material.. .. but actually, flannel might not be too bad. i always forget i have some (i've gotten so darn excited about my velour that i've neglected nearly everything else )... maybe i'll try that?

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#9 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 06:05 PM

Oh you have to post a picture!! PLEASE?? I really would love to see what a first try of that style looks like... if you want, I'd love a pm of it (if you don't want to post it).

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#10 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, it's not that I didn't want to post it, it's just that it's not super cute like most of the dipes here! But I'm still happy with it.

Here it is:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...O/fde9a718.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...O/f9751e91.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...O/DSC_1441.jpg

#11 of 16 Old 03-23-2006, 10:54 PM

that is totally cute!!!!!!!!!

#12 of 16 Old 03-24-2006, 01:06 AM

I like this pattern too. In the past 2 days, I managed to make 12 newborn fitted diapers for the Malawi project (african babies) and did them assembly style. One thing I changed was that I serged the dipes together, no internal soaker, 3 layers of flannel. Then, I added the snap in soaker, which I shortened just a tad. I used a lot of recycled flannel, etc. and they look so cute!

My 7 y.o. asked me when are we getting another baby? ROFL, we have 2 under 2 right now!
#13 of 16 Old 03-24-2006, 01:13 AM

Oh it looks GREAT! I know the tabs were a lot of work but they're so cute. I would agree that I think the soaker on the inside is a bit long looking so I would probably shorten it an inch... but that's personal preference. What size did you make?

Great job - so cute! I am so glad you posted your opinion too b/c it helped me a lot and I loved the time it took you to do it - I bet it'd take me longer since I've never made ANY diaper, but hey, .
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#14 of 16 Old 03-24-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I made the size small, and I do love the covered tabs but I couldn't find the directions someone had posted earlier. When I found them, I realized I could have done it quicker. I don't know if I'll shorten the soaker or not--if I put the dipe on a doll, it doesn't come up to the edge or anything. My main concern was the width, it seems really wide.

You are very welcome...I figured I would love reviews, so I wanted to leave one!

#15 of 16 Old 03-24-2006, 06:09 PM

I think soakers on a dipe flat and off,lookreally long,but when you actually put them round a babies bottom,then the length somehow is taken up......
#16 of 16 Old 03-24-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneysews
I think soakers on a dipe flat and off,lookreally long,but when you actually put them round a babies bottom,then the length somehow is taken up......
*exactly* what I was thinking!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page