The step I like the least... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2006, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
.... is washing the material first!!

Oh sure, it's easy peasy. And, the fabric comes out so darn lovely.....

So why don't I like it? Well, when I get fabric in the mail I want to just DIVE into it and get going because it inspires me so much!!

And tonight when I got home (church conference 1.5 hrs away... so three hours of driving, six hours of 'conferencing', two hours after that at MILs ... I got up at 5 a.m. and now it's 9:35 p.m. ... basically I'm beat )... I had ... oh gosh.. it really was just about the most *beautiful* package ever!!

I had ordered pink velour, chocolate velour and baby pink cotton interlock. Do you even KNOW how beautiful that all looked in there with the chocolate sandwiched between those lovely pinks!?!? I seriously almost swooned. Total love at first sight!!

But instead of diving right in and whipping up some yummy creations -- I'm washing the darn stuff right now ... I guess it's not so bad. I get to dream up the items I'm going to make... like a mint chocolate chip AIO (sage PUL outer, chocolate velour inner) ... totally hip baby blue outer AIO with chocolate inner .... baby blue outer AIO with baby pink velour inner ... navy aio outer with baby pink velour inner ... gosh, color combinations are endless (at least when you have as much PUL as I do : )... but!! I only got one yard of the chocolate, so I'm really going to have to make it count!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally know where you are coming from! But you know what I hate even more? Sewing hook and loop on at the end!! I finally couldnt take it any more and went to ALL snaps!

SO now that just puts me in the same boat as you!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Old 03-23-2006, 03:58 AM

I HATE ironing. I don't mind the pre-washing, but I absoutly cannot stand ironing it flat so I can actually cut it out. (Could be because I end up ironing it on my desk because we don't have an ironing board.)

And that velour sounds SO YUMMY!!!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:36 AM

Yum to the velour,BOOOO! to the pre washing.
I know exactly what you mean !!!!
Especially if it is mail order fabric too,as one feels as if one has waited forever anyhow,by the time it arrives!!!
Plus ,at the moment as it is dire winter weather here and no dryer, I have to resort to hanging yardage over doors and shower rails so it takes a couple of days!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs
I totally know where you are coming from! But you know what I hate even more? Sewing hook and loop on at the end!! I finally couldnt take it any more and went to ALL snaps!

SO now that just puts me in the same boat as you!
That'll be me very soon!! i have already order snaps and I don't even have a snap press yet!!

What does velour feel like by the way? I am still trying to learn all the fabrics and how they feel. When buying on-line I usually stick only to those I know.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang

What does velour feel like by the way? I am still trying to learn all the fabrics and how they feel. When buying on-line I usually stick only to those I know.
I finally just figured that out myself when I found the velour at JoAnns last week. And then it dawned on me that I have always known that fabric, DS has some clothes made out of it. It's kind of like velvet, only stretchy. Have you ever lived in a coastal resort town in Alaska and watched all the old ladies come off the cruise ship? (I have). They are always wearing jogging suits in bold colors made out of a thick, fuzzy, stretchy fabric; that's velour. It's also common for making things like dresses and skirts. I just picked up one of those velour pants suits at the thrift store this week. I already made a diaper out of it and I just love it! Plus, I only spent 99 cents on the fabric so I feel really good about it. But after I cut it up, most of the pieces were too small to make a medium diaper, so from now on I am going to stick to dresses and skirts, they have larger pieces of fabric! If you use recycled velour, check the tag and make sure it's at least 80% cotton.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:11 PM

I hate elastic!

I get to that point and geez, sometimes I just can't get myself to do it. I have 9 diapers with out elastic sitting on my ironing board. 9!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:20 PM

I like elastic ,but I hate turning .
Love to top stitch,just hate to turn,mind you i have carpal tunnelin my left hand and I think it is because it just hurts!
Old 03-23-2006, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
oh... i don't like cutting out either! i think it;s because i'm just not a details kind of person... the nice thing with the sewing part is that there are ways to 'fix' your mistakes relatively easily (or else find a way to cover them up so that nobody else knows!)... if you botch cutting, you can really alter the entire sshape of the diaper!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 03-23-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
oh... i don't like cutting out either! i think it;s because i'm just not a details kind of person... the nice thing with the sewing part is that there are ways to 'fix' your mistakes relatively easily (or else find a way to cover them up so that nobody else knows!)... if you botch cutting, you can really alter the entire sshape of the diaper!
I hate cutting too, that's why I put the fabric in the same order they will be sewn onto each other and on the top layer (the one I will be sewing into on top) I will literally coppy the whole pattern on it - so I do not alter the shape during sewing, KWIM? Then I cut all the layers together. After I add seem allowance I tent to sew less or more then I added and I end up with odd shape. This way I have CLEAR lines and I sew right on them! This way the diaper is EXACTLY as it should be.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:51 PM

I hate SNAPS! I hate them hate them hate them. First off I am super duper anal so they have to line up PERFECT so I spend forever marking where I want them and THEN I sit and put them all on. And sore fingers when done! UGH! What a royal PITA! I want to make a whole bunch of flannel fitteds (got a good deal on flannel a while back) for the new baby but I am totally dreading putting the snaps on them. Next in line would be laying out my fabric just perfect to trace/cut. Its the laying out of the fabric that I dislike, not so much the actual cutting. Once I get to the machine I'm good to go. I enjoy all the sewing.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneysews
Yum to the velour,BOOOO! to the pre washing.
I know exactly what you mean !!!!
Especially if it is mail order fabric too,as one feels as if one has waited forever anyhow,by the time it arrives!!!
Plus ,at the moment as it is dire winter weather here and no dryer, I have to resort to hanging yardage over doors and shower rails so it takes a couple of days!
The year I lived in England (Brighton) it rained 29 out of 30 days in November. I used to have to hang my coat over the heater at night so it would be dry the next morning. Everything was damp and moldy. I do NOT envy you trying to get everything dry without a dryer! (though hopefully it's drier where you are than horizontal rain off the channel Brighton!)

I don't like the cutting out part or the sewing in the elastic part. I've ripped out more elastic than I want to admit and cutting just takes too long!
Old 03-25-2006, 01:27 PM

I hate washing too. Not for the reason you said, but because I buy nice, flat material that I could cut from and then wash it and it either rolls up at the edges or wrinkles!

I also am not a fan of cutting. Probably because I don't have a big surface to do it on.

The WORST is bobbin winding. GOSH I HATE WINDING BOBBINS. I hate it so much that I bought a bunch of the pre-wound ones at JoAnns. And if what I'm sewing doesn't match one of those colors...well it does now! Because I am not winding a bobbin.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth
The year I lived in England (Brighton) it rained 29 out of 30 days in November. I used to have to hang my coat over the heater at night so it would be dry the next morning. Everything was damp and moldy. I do NOT envy you trying to get everything dry without a dryer! (though hopefully it's drier where you are than horizontal rain off the channel Brighton!)

I don't like the cutting out part or the sewing in the elastic part. I've ripped out more elastic than I want to admit and cutting just takes too long!
Worse,in the North we have a much higher rainfall!!!
We are near the Peak district whcih is known for it's dramatic grey stormy looking skies!!!

User Tag List