bendy dolls that stand - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > bendy dolls that stand
arooo's Avatar arooo 05:33 AM 03-23-2006
Hi all....

I'm a serious lurker around these parts, and once in a while post a question. The last time I posted a question my computer went weird and I couldn't respond.... didn't mean to be rude!

So this time: Has anyone made Bendy dolls that stand? I have the wee folk book checked out from the library, and I am so ready to go! But, I know me dd is gonna throw a fit unless they stand on their own! Any ideas???

TIA

cinnamama's Avatar cinnamama 11:46 AM 03-23-2006
I have only made a couple bendies from the Wee Folk Book and they didn't stand at all. Maybe try those doll rope forms with the wooden flat feet? They are bendy but not made from pipe cleaners. But you can dress them up.

http://beardancecrafts.com/dollmaking_supplies.htm

http://www.achildsdream.com/handwork...g_supplies.htm

There is a co-op for them at amitymama in the crafty forum. I don't know if it is full or not.

Good luck!
lupineperriwinkle's Avatar lupineperriwinkle 12:09 PM 03-23-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamama
There is a co-op for them at amitymama in the crafty forum. I don't know if it is full or not.

Good luck!
I just saent a PM saying the same thing.
arooo's Avatar arooo 03:50 PM 03-23-2006
Yeah, I've seen those little wooden feet folks. But there's something I like about being able to do the whole thing from scratch! I'll probably end up doing both... and then making lots of lil felt ponies for the non-standing ones to perch on!

Tonight in the wee hours when everyone's asleep I'll check out those links! Thanks for your help!
JenniferC's Avatar JenniferC 04:54 PM 03-23-2006
We've made bendy dolls using just wooden doll feet bases (they are from Europe and are a bit tricky to find), they can stand on their own and look better than the half wooden eggs, and have the holes predrilled in them!
E.V. Lowi's Avatar E.V. Lowi 06:59 PM 03-23-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferC
We've made bendy dolls using just wooden doll feet bases (they are from Europe and are a bit tricky to find), they can stand on their own and look better than the half wooden eggs, and have the holes predrilled in them!
Yes, those wooden feet look like a lot of FUN. I have never seen them for sale before, anywhere. I did see some wonderful plaid and stripe chenille sticks (pipecleaners) at the Michaels, that would work great with those feet and some felt shapes. It could could be a whole toy line!!
JenniferC- I know you leave your wooden pieces natural, but I thought I'd ask: What would you recommend to paint those feet with? (something non-toxic and semi permanent?)TIA
srain's Avatar srain 11:56 PM 03-23-2006
You could make stands for them- a wooden circle maybe- and either permanently attach them to the stands or put wire/ staples partway into the stands so the feet cold slip into them or be removed. (Does that make sense?)
JenniferC's Avatar JenniferC 01:01 AM 03-24-2006
Hi E.V. We have those feet in stock . Yes, when we do our feet we oil and wax them, but depending on the effect you want, we sometimes use a nice wood stain for coloured pieces (like nature table trees) that is non-toxic coloured tung oil called Wood Burst, and it comes in quite a few colours and is easy to mix. The tung oil stain is great because you just rub it on then rub it off, and it still shows the grain of the wood.

Then there's always the old fall-back non-toxic acrylic craft paint, which gives an opaque finish, I'm not big into the painting myself, but for solid colours it works .
arooo's Avatar arooo 02:48 AM 03-24-2006
Thanks everyone!

I also wondered about clay or sculpti feet... I have a wet-felting book that talks about getting a clay that can be baked at low temperatures and then baking it right onto the legs. Anyone tried this?

I love those little wooden feet...... glad I found your site!
E.V. Lowi's Avatar E.V. Lowi 07:05 PM 03-24-2006
Yes, I have tried sculpy and fimo. Both are toxic while baking and give a similar result. The instuctions even recommend having a dedicated oven for baking of the pieces. Lots of art doll use this, but are not intended as toys
for children.
arooo's Avatar arooo 08:54 PM 03-25-2006
My felting book said nothing about the sculpti stuff being toxic! I should just assume these things.... but it's lame that the book didn't give any warning about it and children.

Looks like those wooden feet are the way to go! Also, using a stand would be a fine idea if I could make it inobstrusive enough.... My goal is to have a few of these done for my dd's easter basket! I'll attach a photo if it indeed happens!!!

Thanks everyone...
warneral's Avatar warneral 01:39 AM 04-05-2006
I'm glad to hear there is a continental place to buy feet!

I was just about to buy half eggs (and still might for trial and comparison purposes). I don't think drilling would be too hard.
mehndi mama's Avatar mehndi mama 05:52 PM 04-08-2006
I'd still use the Sculpey - I think the "toxic" bit is only when they're baking, as the volatiles get burned off in the heat. If it were me, I'd bend 'em up, get 'em wrapped, then mold on some little flat-bottomed sculpey feet & bake them before putting the clothes or heads on.
mrspilkington's Avatar mrspilkington 11:54 AM 04-10-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneral
I'm glad to hear there is a continental place to buy feet!

I was just about to buy half eggs (and still might for trial and comparison purposes). I don't think drilling would be too hard.

any tips on where to get half eggs? thanks!
jgale's Avatar jgale 11:52 AM 04-29-2006
I've never done it, but I've thought of using lead weights for fishing in the feet of dolls. I'm not quite sure how it would work, or if you can get them with one flat side, but then you could bend the pipe cleaner around the edges and thread the embroidery thread through the hole and it would give them a bit of weight to balance. Sounds like the wooden feet would be a better option though...

PS Your daughter sounds like my kind of girl--that she would freak out if they didn't stand. I like it.
mehndi mama's Avatar mehndi mama 03:27 PM 04-29-2006
I was looking through my doll patterns, and came across a dollhouse doll pattern from Magic Cabin. They have you use modelling beeswax to mold feet out of, so the dolls can stand! So there's your no-bake, non-toxic option, right there - Modelling Beeswax! Available from any Waldorf toy/supply place!
isaberg's Avatar isaberg 10:37 AM 05-10-2006
Is modeling beeswax any different than just boring old beeswax? I've never seen the modeling stuff, but I have pounds and pounds of the regular...
mehndi mama's Avatar mehndi mama 03:12 PM 05-10-2006
I'm not sure - can you warm regular beeswax enough in your hands to make it moldable?
E.V. Lowi's Avatar E.V. Lowi 05:18 PM 05-10-2006
I find that the modeling beeswax (from Stockmar) is a bit softer that regular beeswax, and just a little tacky or sticky. This makes it better for modeling, and also for running your sewing and embroidery threads through before use, for ease in handling. The regular beeswax is alleged to be good for this purpose, but isn't really.
esperanza4's Avatar esperanza4 06:41 PM 07-03-2006
If I use the dool base instead of the Wee Felt folk chennile stem pattern where can I find clothing patterns?

What size doll do the little wooden feet fit?
kkar's Avatar kkar 11:37 PM 08-03-2006
I was just looking through my books and I found some cute pipe cleaner gnomes that stand using lead weights (mentioned in an earlier post). The directions say to drill a hole using a small hand drill into the weights for a hole. I have no idea how hard that would be though...
E.V. Lowi's Avatar E.V. Lowi 03:31 PM 08-04-2006
I don't believe that toxic substances like lead belong in children's playthings. Even when children are old enough to know better, they still do put things in their mouths (and noses) and they put their fingers in their mouths after touching, and so forth. Lead is an extremely toxic substance that everyone should try to avoid, but especially children.
mrspilkington's Avatar mrspilkington 08:06 AM 08-05-2006
Just wanted to say that I've gotten those wooden feet from Playful Pixie (Jennifer), and they're fantastic. Highly recommend them!
E.V. Lowi's Avatar E.V. Lowi 11:48 PM 08-05-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspilkington
Just wanted to say that I've gotten those wooden feet from Playful Pixie (Jennifer), and they're fantastic. Highly recommend them!
oooh, I want some of those!! I purchased the most wonderful skin tone knit from her and it is the best quality that I have ever used. I love her craft thread wound on the wood holders!! She is so nice and helpful on the phone, too-- YAY for Playful Pixie!!
mrspilkington's Avatar mrspilkington 09:45 AM 08-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi
oooh, I want some of those!! I purchased the most wonderful skin tone knit from her and it is the best quality that I have ever used. I love her craft thread wound on the wood holders!! She is so nice and helpful on the phone, too-- YAY for Playful Pixie!!
Ditto! She's great...I'll have to get that thread, and start buying my knit from her too. I think I'm going to pop over there right now...
Up