Singer serger from WalMart ????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-27-2006, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Posted - 03/27/2006 : 18:32:06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My MIL & SIL bought me a serger as a gift. I finally broke it out of the box last night (exactly 8 months after I got it). I know, i know, but I did not have time to even think of sewing, and the twins are just now getting where I don't have to entertain them 100% of the time, they play with each other. Anyway, today was my day off and I decided I wanted to serge some microfiber inserts, well, after several attempts, thinking I was threading the serger wrong, I think I actually have a broken NEW machine. The right needle keeps hitting the lowere looper, 1st in front, then clicks around to the back. The right needle thread also keeps coming unthreaded. Is this machine broken? I can't return it because it has been over the time they allow. I don't know what to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-27-2006, 09:38 PM

How long is the warranty good for? It should be at least a year. The serger I bought a couple weeks ago (but haven't used yet) has a five year warranty.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#3 of 14 Old 03-27-2006, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

But, will look again!

It just sicks because I don't think i should even have to pay to send it to repair it, the darned thing is straight out of the box!
#4 of 14 Old 03-27-2006, 10:52 PM

is it the same model they have now. if it is you can take it in and they will exchange it. Just don't take your reciept and tell them it was a gift. I know kinda wrong but walmart screws people all the time so maybe its not so bad.
#5 of 14 Old 03-27-2006, 11:20 PM

I agree with peverroad, take it back. Walmart takes anything back. If you don't have a receipt, they will give you a gift card and you can buy another. Or whatever else you want. Don't tell them it was bought several months ago. Don't feel bad about taking it back, you're not screwing Walmart. You have a brand new machine that's not working. Take it back to Walmart!!
#6 of 14 Old 03-28-2006, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

BUT, I had to return a ton of gifts we recieved for the twins without reciepts, and now I can't return anything without a reciept. :0

I did decide I am going to try anyway.

It is the same model they have now, and honestly, I had never even opened the tape on the box until last night!
#7 of 14 Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 AM

Are MIL or SIL local to you? You could ask one of them (or anyone else for that matter!) to take it back for you, and they could get a giftcard for you. I wouldn't try to return it yourself first if you think they are going to say no- they might get suspicious if they see the same serger come in twice with 2 different people! But definitely return it. Walmart deals with taking back broken stuff all the time; it's a lot easier for them to do than for you to deal directly with Singer.
#8 of 14 Old 03-28-2006, 01:59 AM

So go to Wal Mart, buy the new machine, put it on a credit card, write a check, whatever. Put the broken machine in the box the new one came in and take it back the next day. They will credit your account and you are not out a dime, have a legal reciept, and a new machine. Done deal.
#9 of 14 Old 03-28-2006, 11:17 AM

how far is the next closest walmart. And i think that i got told that once. but it was getting cash back you could only do it 3 times but you can get a gift card or do an exchange.
#10 of 14 Old 03-28-2006, 12:07 PM

I definitely agree to try returning it somehow... walmart's usually pretty good at accepting things without receipts.

Oh, and it could be worse... I got given a walmart singer serger as a gift last fall... Kept it on the kitchen floor near the wall meaning to use it soon... Turned the heat on for the first time a few weeks later and melted half of it. Couldn't return it because it was obviously my fault it was ruined!
#11 of 14 Old 03-29-2006, 05:17 PM

The Singer Serger is famous for breaking needles, the lady at walmart told me so! And..they break cuz they hit the loopers. My advice, take it back to walmart, tell them it was a gift but doesn't work, they wont ask how old it is, trust me they wont.... get your giftcard spend your money on something else and NEVER buy singer again... specially the new Singers, they stink.
#12 of 14 Old 04-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnn
So go to Wal Mart, buy the new machine, put it on a credit card, write a check, whatever. Put the broken machine in the box the new one came in and take it back the next day. They will credit your account and you are not out a dime, have a legal reciept, and a new machine. Done deal.
bad, i know, but i've done that before too! and you could try to go to a different walmart, or let your dh/so take it back for ya usually if you just exchange they honestly don't give a crap...
#13 of 14 Old 04-08-2006, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

So, I returned the Singer serger & got a Necchi, any opinons? + check out this deal!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I returned the Singer serger to WalMart for store credit.

I went to a local sewing machine dealer and bought a Necchi serger (it's the only even close to local dealer). Any input on these????? I got a 6002 model.

I did get a fre 5 year warranty and 5 years free service, as well as free lessons, plus any time I need help, they will do it free. I also got $80.00 off the sticker price and a bunch of free Schmetz needles (6 packs).

THEN, to top it off, I got this http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp08122-0988.html for $50.00! Holy, i'll never need to but more thread as long as I live again BATMAN! LOL!!!!!!!!!
#14 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 03:54 PM

Nice

Mama to two boys and a girl.

User Tag List