Making your own nursing top? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-04-2006, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wanting to get some nursing tanks/tops so hide my tummy when I'm not at home. I am sorta picky and the only tops I kind of like at all are sooo expensive. Has anyone ever made their own or just worn 2 shirts and cut hole in the boob parts? I am thinking of taking a tank top and cutting hole in it and then surging(sp?) around so they don't ravel(sp? again-feel like a dummy). Then just wearing another tank over. Does that make sense? Has anyone else tried this and did it work? Or should I just spend the money and order some online?

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#2 of 9 Old 04-04-2006, 10:10 PM

I've done the tank-top-with-holes route, and it worked great. I used a ribbed cotton tank top, and didn't sew anything; the fabric never frayed. Go for it!
#3 of 9 Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 PM

I have some links to patterns, but it's been awhile. IIRC, there's an online pattern that shows how to adapt a t-shirt & maybe some patterns from sew-easy. The links are on my other computer, so I'll try to get them in the morning.
#4 of 9 Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 AM

This month's issue of Sew News has a great article about converting regular shirt patterns to nursing shirts. Their examples looked very cute!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#5 of 9 Old 04-13-2006, 12:33 AM

You can make like a tube top type thing to just wear under your shirt below your boobs down to cover your belly (does this make sense?)... that way your belly is covered but it's easy to get the baby to feed. I got aggrivated w/nursing tops quickly - had to separate the material & open my bra and... eeek. This works much better and a LOT easier when I'm out and about nursing in a sling.
#6 of 9 Old 04-26-2006, 06:57 PM

I like to make nursing tanks out of 2 lingerie tanktops from Target (they're really stretchy). I cut the bottom off of one, and the top off of another, overlap them, and sew them together in the back & up the sides. Then to nurse, I just lift up the top in front. This also makes for a nice, long tank top which I need for my very large, nursing bust!
#7 of 9 Old 04-26-2006, 08:21 PM

I cut vertical slits in some ribbed tank tops (cutting along one of the ribs). I didn't sew them, and they never frayed. I wore these under a wide variety of "regular" tops - sweat shirts, T's, etc.

Try the top on to know where to cut the slits. Slits cut too low can always be brought up to meet the breast, but slits that end too high just don't work.

I also adapted a commercial pattern. I cut two fronts, but made one shorter (the outside one) and cut vertical slits (which I edged with seam binding) on the longer one.

Elizabeth Lee Designs sells breastfeeding patterns:
http://www.elizabethlee.com
I used one of these patterns to make a nice dress. They have shirt patterns, too.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#8 of 9 Old 04-26-2006, 08:32 PM

nak
try www.sleepingbaby.net under "baby crafts"...there are a few free options there!
#9 of 9 Old 04-28-2006, 09:12 PM
p.s

I've made my own tops from Elizabeth Lee patterns. I think the patterns are expensive, but was able to get the very two patterns I wanted (along with three homemade tops way to big) for $0.99+SH. I think the advantage to making your own is in choice of fabric and embellishment. For example, I used organic cotton and am not even sure where to buy a similar top.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page