For love of the cotton dish cloth! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, maybe I am late to join the party on this, but I LOVE knitting cotton dish cloths. I have just been using the Sugar and Cream from AC Moore, but I hope to use some of the nicer organic cotton in the future. For those of you in a knitting funk, or stuck in a tropical clime, or with too many complicated projects that you need to focus every available neuron to complete, these are perfect. I use size 10 needles (I think, they were 1/4 walnut dowels I made into needles, so size is not exact) cast on 28 stitches and knit until it seems big enough in garter stitch. It is SOOOO easy, and I can finish a cloth in under an hour which is such a nice feeling. Also, DH and I are trying to reduce our dependence on disposable goods (we use far too many sponges and paper towels), so these are great. I find they actually work way better on the counters as they have all those great bumps to grip the dirt. At the end of the day, I jsut toss them in the diper pail. I am trying to make 10-14 so I can make sure I have one or two clean ones every day (I only do laundry once or twice a week). Also, they are a great way to try new stitches. I have always wanted to try cabling, but was intimidated about doing a large project. Well, I did a cabled dish cloth (I know, bordering on serious kitsch here) and it looks nice and was really easy. You could also make wash cloths and soap covers in fun colors.

I had this aha moment with both knitting and sewing. I had jumped into both this past year and started with some hard projects. Then, I went back to the basics, I sewed doll clothes and began knitting these dish cloths. Think about it, if we were learning as children, this is what we would start with. It made so many things come together for me. So I try to keep a fair amount of cotton on hand and whenever I have "knitters block" I just reach for it and knit up a new cloth quick and easy! (Or I sew another t-shirt for DS's "daddy doll" LOL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 08:57 AM

I like to make some really quick things sometimes, too. If you make them bigger, they make really nice washcloths as well.

If anyone's looking for more patterns, here's a site with lots. They also have crocheted ones.

http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbou.../knitting.html
#3 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 09:02 AM

Hmm...I am definitely going to do this! I have some sugar and cream for what purpose I have no idea, and this will be a good stash use up! Thanks!

#4 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 09:45 AM

I love knitted dishcloths! My grandmother (90 years old) cranks these petal ones out crazy fast. I usually just do the basic, quick one. They do work so much better! And those sugar and cream colors are pretty! I have 2- 2.5 gallon bags full of s&c cotton for dishcloths (given to me by grandma of course...and did not even make a dent in her stash LOL)

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#5 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 AM

I love knitting dishcloths! I probably made 75 of them the first year I learned to knit. I have been so busy doing other projects, I have knit one lately. I promised my sister some for her birthday (6 months ago- eek), so I really need to crank some out.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#6 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 11:13 AM

Oh these are so much prettier than my rags!

I should start whipping these out when I don't feel like knitting, but I want to knit. ((that made NO sense)) I mean, when I just want to do the act of knitting without having something that I "need" to knit. (that's no better...)

I like 'em. I'll leave it at that.

Where can you get super cheap cotton in large quantities? I'll make tons of 'em.
#7 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 11:31 AM

I have a bunch of cotton left-overs, and just started doing this - but of course I can't just make dish cloths like a normal person - I have to search out every pattern with an animal silhouette on it in the attempt of making a patchwork-type baby blanket out of them!! But I got two done yesterday already, so I'm feeling pretty accomplished .

And if I don't get enough done for the blanket - voila! Dish cloths!!
#8 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawap
Oh these are so much prettier than my rags!

I should start whipping these out when I don't feel like knitting, but I want to knit. ((that made NO sense)) I mean, when I just want to do the act of knitting without having something that I "need" to knit. (that's no better...)

I like 'em. I'll leave it at that.

Where can you get super cheap cotton in large quantities? I'll make tons of 'em.
I totally get what you are saying. Sometimes you just want mindless knitting. These are great to knit the car when dh/dp is driving too.

I use sugar and cream or peaches and cream. You can find them at any craft store and on sale they are like $1.00 a skein or something ridiculously cheap.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#9 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 01:13 PM

Wow! Can't believe I found this thread. Am feeling so ridiculously self-righteous now about knitting my first washcloth ever and have been working on it forever but whatever. I love it! I just got a cheap big ole spool of yarn from Joanne fabrics and it came with a pattern that goes3

size 10 needles
CO 42
K 2 rows

K3 p1, K1P1, K2 - 2 rows
K2 - 2 rows
repeat these two row sets for 9 ", then
K 2 rows
BO

It makes a nice nubbly surface. Can't wait to use it.

And yes, I feel rather dorky getting all excited about knitting a washcloth. Beats the mental strain of soakers at the moment, though, with a baby around.
#10 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 01:56 PM

One of my favorite quickie random gift items (for last minute hostess gifts, little topper for a baby shower gift) is one of the petal facecloths done in euroflax linen and a nice big bar of handmade soap (I used to make the soap, now I buy it, LOL!)
#11 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 01:57 PM

Do the bright colors of Sugar n' cream run? I have a few balls leftover from my yoga mat bag that I'd love to turn into dish cloths.
#12 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 02:16 PM

ot: I would love to see your mat bag. Did you do Knitty's Namaste? It's on my to-do list.
#13 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 PM

OT - I did the yoga mat bag from SnB Nation - it's a great pattern!

Pics here, I think, having never before used flickr: yoga mat bag
#14 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomma
I love knitted dishcloths! My grandmother (90 years old) cranks these petal ones out crazy fast. I usually just do the basic, quick one. They do work so much better! And those sugar and cream colors are pretty! I have 2- 2.5 gallon bags full of s&c cotton for dishcloths (given to me by grandma of course...and did not even make a dent in her stash LOL)
Thanks for the inspiration, Mama. I knit-up one today! (See the blog)

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#15 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 11:35 PM

Since I started a thread but no one is looking at it cause they are all over here I figure I can ask here as well! Can I use acrylic? I have a ton of it I just want gone so I can go buy some good stuff! Would it work? It washes up nice (at least DD's soaker did) and soft so it could work right?

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#16 of 28 Old 04-25-2006, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

No idea about the acrylic, sorry.

Knittermama, YOU ROCK!!! I loved your dishcloth, very lovely. I will have to check out that site as well for some inspiration. OT-I love your dinosaur as well, I plan to do one for DS with some hand dyed yarn that didn't turn out *quite* how I hoped and looks like reptile skin. Also, completely OT, today was my last day of graduate school! I love your blog and I FEEL your pain.
#17 of 28 Old 04-26-2006, 10:01 AM

I think the only problem may be absorbency (or lack thereof) with acrylic. But what do I know? I hope someone else answers!
#18 of 28 Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveredhens
Knittermama, YOU ROCK!!! I loved your dishcloth, very lovely. I will have to check out that site as well for some inspiration. OT-I love your dinosaur as well, I plan to do one for DS with some hand dyed yarn that didn't turn out *quite* how I hoped and looks like reptile skin. Also, completely OT, today was my last day of graduate school! I love your blog and I FEEL your pain.
Thanks!

Here's to knitting when you're supposed to be studying!

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#19 of 28 Old 04-26-2006, 04:11 PM

they are perfect to work on while watching movies

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#20 of 28 Old 04-26-2006, 07:52 PM

Dh's grandma sent me a huge box of crocheted dishcloths for Christmas one year. I couldn't figure out what they were at first, but now we use them all the time. I never thought of knitting them, d'oh! I tried crocheting some but put a crochet hook in my hand and all sorts of craziness happens.
#21 of 28 Old 04-26-2006, 10:12 PM

The new Mason-Dixon Knitting book has knitted "warshrags" that are so cute!

http://www.lollygirl.com/images/md_washcloth2.jpg

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#22 of 28 Old 04-26-2006, 11:15 PM

Holy cow! I like that a lot. Better than Namaste. I like your other projects, too. The Elijah colorway is so cool. Thanks for posting those. And so fast!

OtherMother, my guess is that acrylic, because it doesn't absorb, would be good for scrubbies, but not washcloths.

fiveredhens: Congrats on graduating. That is a big deal (as you well know, of course). I have to tell you that it took me a few times to read your username correctly. I read it fivered hens. What fivered might be, I've no idea!

DarkHorse, those are too cute.
#23 of 28 Old 04-27-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMama
The new Mason-Dixon Knitting book has knitted "warshrags" that are so cute!

http://www.lollygirl.com/images/md_washcloth2.jpg
I LOVE those!!!

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#24 of 28 Old 04-27-2006, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Teacup-

Thanks for the well wishes, they are thoroughly appreciated.

Thanks also for the big laugh, my username is derived from the Five Rhode Island Red chickens who patrol our yard and generously provide us with delicious eggs. I never thought about it being read as "fivered hens". I guess that technically speaking, the could be considered "fivered" if you are talking about a fiver as in "five British pounds", and the fact that I paid about that much for them, hence they were "fivered"
#25 of 28 Old 05-01-2006, 01:29 PM

#26 of 28 Old 05-01-2006, 01:35 PM

I love my cotton dishclothes too. Everyone I have given them to as gifts has been quite smitten too. They work great!
#27 of 28 Old 05-01-2006, 06:18 PM

I love doing dishcloths. Some of them are a shame to use because they are so pretty, it's much easier to practice cables and eyelets on a dishcloth than on a full size project that will have to be repeatedly ripped out!
#28 of 28 Old 05-02-2006, 11:01 AM

So - how many washcloths can you get from one "ball" of the Sugar & Cream? How about the mercerized cotton on knitpicks? I'm REALLY cheap & want the cheapest cotton I can find. LOL! I have been meaning to just buy rags from the diaper service around here. They sell rags for $3 a pound.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page