Who does origami? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-26-2003, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been looking for other origami artists to connect with and share diagrams with. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 02-26-2003, 12:29 AM

Hmmm... must be a Canadian thing! (We're in Ontario.)

We do quite a bit of origami, mostly from books from the library, but sometimes from the untranslated sheets of instructions that come in origami paper from Japan. Recently, Scholastic Books had a couple of different books for sale and we got the Usborne Books Guide to Origami. It is great for beginners, so my eight year old helped her five year old brother with some activities.

If you use Altavista, you can get quite a few good sites that have free patterns.
#3 of 34 Old 02-26-2003, 12:48 AM

I've been doing origami since i was a kid. I have a few things memorized (crane, frog, balloon, star, turtle etc... just easy little ones) and have found that little kids think it's fascinating that i can make them a bird out of a flat sheet of paper. Havent really done much paper folding lately, but agree that the library is a great resource for learning new folds.
#4 of 34 Old 02-26-2003, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Woo Hoo! More people who do origami! I was beginning to think I was weird!

Yes, I'll check out the library again. I've looked at all the books our library here carries, but I haven't done a search at other libraries yet. And I'm going to look for that Usborne book....I Love Usborne books!

Aster....Land of the Perpetual Winter.....Does that mean Canada?

Have a good day all!
#5 of 34 Old 02-26-2003, 04:41 PM

Anyways, it's going to be cool when Boo's old enough to teach origami. I make him little things out of paper and he likes to play with them, so that's cool too.

Aster,
Just another paper-folding Canadian weirdo
#6 of 34 Old 02-26-2003, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

:LOL I KWYM about the weather ~ I'm in Northern AB! :LOL

I enjoy sharing this craft with my kids as well. My DD is 8 now and starting to develop enough dexterity in her fingers to fold well. But all the kids still love for me to make them a flapping bird or jumping frog whenever I pull my card or mobile making stuff out. Somedays taking those few minutes to make a little frog is the only way to protect my bigger projects from the 2 yr old! And it comes in so handy when you are waiting for a meal in the restaurant with four little impatient children. To play with the kids is actually why I even started origami, but it has become so much fun for just me now!

I had a call yesterday from our local Fine Arts Center and I may get the opportunity to teach a class or two next month! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
#7 of 34 Old 02-26-2003, 05:06 PM

That's awesome that you're going to be teaching a class! You must be good!! Do you make up your own creatures?

I learned origami to keep my younger sibs occupied in church when we were a lot younger. It's amazing how the little things make such a big difference sometimes. A little paper crane could keep their attention for ages.
#8 of 34 Old 02-26-2003, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

No, I don't make my own designs, but I am the only one who is doing origami around here. I mean a few people know how to folds cranes and other common creations, but I am the only in this area person making cards and mobiles and doing this as a *craft*. The funny thing is, I don't consider myself a very creative person, and that is why origami appeals to me so much. I consider it more of a skill that anyone can learn if they have some patience and pay attention to detail. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to this class, (even though I've never taught before and I'm extremely nervous about that) and I hope it goes ahead.

I started when my dd was just few months old. I bought a book thinking that I could make her some stuff when she was a bit older. I find it amazing how much I enjoy it now!

BTW, I'm working on a Senbazuru (thousand cranes) right now. (slowly, between all my other projects and family stuff ) I want to string them all together and use them as a garland on my Christmas tree next year.
#9 of 34 Old 02-28-2003, 12:36 AM

My "signature" pieces are reindeer made from kraft paper and swedish/german stars made from narrow strips of paper. Almost every year I make some of both of these at Christmastime for gifts, and people are always amazed.

I love how, once you know how to do this, you can do them almost mindlessly, almost as a meditation!

But then again, I spend most of my time here on MDC on various Spirituality threads, so my mind's there, anyway! Don't want to hijack your thread!

Luci
#10 of 34 Old 02-28-2003, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Luci!

I'm always happy to meet another paper folder!

I haven't ever seen any reindeer before. They must be so neat! My favorite pieces are suns with smiley faces and seahorses. I'm trying to find the time to learn an elephant and would love to learn the dolphin and shark in my book as well. They are rather tough folds for me, especially with the kids interrupting! I just think the dolphin and shark would make such fabulous mobiles for some little boys!

Do you do any "projects" with your folding too?
#11 of 34 Old 02-28-2003, 09:56 AM

Haven't really "done" anything with the reindeers, other than sometimes making a set of 8 (so they can be Dancer, Prancer, Comet....).

The stars work well as ornaments, and I've seen several of them strung together in a pattern to make a sort of beaded curtain ... but I haven't done that.

Also, you can make the stars flat on the back, so I've used them like ribbons for wrapped presents.

Gotta rush. Your projects sounds great! I'd like to see the sun and seahorse!

L
#12 of 34 Old 02-28-2003, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'd be happy to share the sun and seahorse diagrams I have with you if you'd like. Like I said above, they aren't my own designs, they actually come from a book called "Fantastic Folds" by Andrew Stoker and Sasha Williamson. I would have to photocopy them and send them to you by snail mail. You can PM me if you are interested.

I'm certainly interested in your reindeer and stars!! Do you have diagrams for them that you can share?
#13 of 34 Old 03-02-2003, 12:45 AM

Here's a link to how to make the stars I do:

http://www.howtomakestars.com/instructions.html

And as for the reindeer ... it's been so long since I've learned how to make them that I don't need written instructions anymore ... I'll have to see if I can dig them up.

I'll PM you with my snailmail addy ... I'd love a copy of the sun and seahorse patterns! Thanks! And then I'll have your return address and if I can find the pattern for the reindeer, I'll mail it back to you. (Just can't promise I'll be able to find it.)

Luci
#14 of 34 Old 03-03-2003, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou for the link Luci! I answered your PM before I saw this post.

Have a wonderful day!

#15 of 34 Old 03-04-2003, 11:46 AM

I've been fooling around with origami too. I also like to do paper airplanes. I used some library books and I've bought 2 for myself. I've got one called "kusudama" that uses origami to make ornaments. I think we'll use that to make paper ornaments for the tree next year. Then it's ok if the kids & cat ruin them.

I started the origami because I thought it would be educational for my son. Although he likes the paper airplanes, I am probably much more intrigued than he is. :
#16 of 34 Old 03-04-2003, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I decorated our tree in paper ornaments one year too, and it looked fantastic! I used that shiny foil wrap in gold, silver, red, blue and green for it. I found that they were a lot of work and I actually got rather upset when the kids wrecked them. But of course, I'm kinda anal that way : I might do some more now that my dd is old enough to do some of the folding too. Plus, I'm starting to relax a little more in my old age. (We need a granny emoticom :LOL )
#17 of 34 Old 03-04-2003, 02:26 PM

I make the stars and cranes- looking to do more in my free time (hee hee!)

-jeanie
#18 of 34 Old 03-04-2003, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Jeanie,

Stars and cranes are a great start! My kids favorites are the flapping birds and jumping frogs.

We're slowly starting to gather a few of us paper folders here, aren't we?
#19 of 34 Old 03-05-2003, 09:28 PM

My dad loves origami and I on the other hand get frusterated trying to do it. He insists it's easy and buys me books and paper (I never touch) Although I have a book on boxes and would love to figure them out someday! Maybe cool for wedding favors?
SARAH Mom to Aurora 6/11/01 and Genevieve edd 6/29/03
#20 of 34 Old 03-05-2003, 10:01 PM

My 3 yr old son enjoyed a book called "Horrorgami" that I checked out from the library last fall. It had bats, spiders, rats, skeletons and other fun creepy creatures. I made the creatures. He played with them. The folding diagrams were very easy to follow.
#21 of 34 Old 03-09-2003, 06:01 PM

I do it in a really amateurish way (I can't cope with metallic paper, for instance), but our library has some really cool books on the mathematics of origami, folding these incredibly complex geometrical shapes. That side of origami fascinates me. I know there's a woman who teaches elementary math via origami. I guess you could say I'm into geek-origami.

Dd likes the jumping frogs, too. I just ordered her a book on making flowers.
#22 of 34 Old 03-10-2003, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hi there!

You might like this link: www.paperfolder.com He has a lot of information and even more links relating to origami and mathematics. I still haven't had the time to fully explore his site, but then I'm in creative mode right now.
#23 of 34 Old 03-10-2003, 06:40 AM

Just noticed this thread.....
I don't do Origami, but my 13 yr. old ds does! He's getting pretty creative, doing some Pandas, trying to fold cranes, and some frogs too.
I just bought him some cool paper to fold with, so nice to see there are others doing this!
Funny story, we were at the library, and the librarian (we are hs's so the librarian knows us!) called my ds through the intercom system. He rushed up to the counter, worried why they would call him. Turns out a lady is up there trying to fold an Origami peice for her daughters wedding, and is having a tough time. Librarian had helped ds find books on the subject so thought he might be able to help. Sure enough, he demonstrated the fold, and our new friend was one happy lady!
Made our day too.
#24 of 34 Old 03-10-2003, 10:05 AM

http://www.paperfolding.com/math/

The link was just a little bit off.
#25 of 34 Old 03-10-2003, 12:15 PM

Aha! Math in Motion was what I was trying to think of. It was mention in the website y'all sent.

Thanks for the link. Dd just decided to learn origami and the only book I have on hand is Hector Rojas' Origami Animals (which, BTW, has reindeer in it). The discussion here had inspired me to pull it out and make some African animals for the African feast we're having later today. The stuff is way too complex for a 7yo beginner, though.

Gotta go fold a whale with her....
#26 of 34 Old 03-10-2003, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ooops! Thanks for correcting that link LeafyLady! Not sure what I was doing! LOL

Velveteen, what an awesome story! Your son must have been so proud! Good for him!

I'm not going to get to teach that class I was hoping to....they've decided that they would rather do something else. On the upside, the co-ordinator of the Fine Arts Center is still trying to put something else together for me. We'll see what happens. Right now I'm just busy getting ready for an open air market in the spring and enjoying my creative indulgences.

The very first book that I started out with is called "Amazing Origami for Children" by the Biddles (Steve and Megumi Biddle) The diagrams and instructions are fantastic, and there is a wide variety of projects for folders of all levels. I highly reccommend it for children (and adults) to use!

Have a great day all!
#27 of 34 Old 04-02-2003, 06:32 PM

Does anyone know of any sources for cheap origami paper? I don't want anything fancy, but I would like something 2 sided, different colors on each side, or a color on one side and white on the other.
#28 of 34 Old 04-02-2003, 06:34 PM

I almost forgot. I found a site for
origami roses

I haven't tried them yet, but they sure do look purty.
#29 of 34 Old 04-03-2003, 02:09 AM

I LOVE Origami!!!

For my wedding my attendants and I made about 250 lilies as favors / decorations. I usually get my designs from library books or the internet.

I bought my paper from http://www.kimscrane.com/ which is an at-home business (so I feel really good about supporting it) and they have a good selection with good prices IMO.

The only folds I know off the top of my head are a lily, a crane and a cube shaped "balloon." But I love to make new things and would like to have more memorized.
#30 of 34 Old 04-03-2003, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Anna! Sure glad you found us!

Great links ladies! I did start the Kawaski rose once, but have put it aside until I have more time. I also heard a rumor that the "new rose" patterns may have an error in them. I'm not sure which ones I downloaded. I'll have to look into this more when I have time. That standard rose looks just as good as the Kawasaki rose though....I'm definitely going to try that one too!

The paper site looks nice too. I'm not sure I'll order from there as I am in Canada and we really taking a beating on the exchange and such, but it is nice to know it is there if I ever need something. The papers I often use are on the expensive side and not "real" origami paper, but I also use wrapping paper a lot, especially if I need paper with only one colored side. Scrapbookers use some pretty nice paper too.

Happy folding!
Jen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page