What sewing machine do you have? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 95 Old 07-24-2006, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ended up giving the Singer 235 to GoodWill. My cousin didn't need it, and I couldn't find anyone who wanted it, and I just wanted to get rid of it.

(I hope no one on here had their hopes set on getting it from me....But I now have a Kenmore from the 60s that I paid $2.50 for. It has similar tension issues. I only bought it for the cabinet hinges, though, so if anyone wants that machine PM me--Soon!)
#62 of 95 Old 07-24-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

oh, what's the model # on the kenmore head

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#63 of 95 Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 AM

I'll have to check tomorrow and get back to you. I can take some pics of it if you'd like.
#64 of 95 Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 AM

I couldn't find an "easy" 3 digit model number, but I took a picture of what was on the underneath. Here are all the pictures I took of it so you know what you're getting into:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...odelnumber.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...enstitches.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...s/kenfront.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...footpedal2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...footpedal1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...obbincover.jpg

As you can see in the pics, the plate that slides over the bottom opening is missing. The footpedal is broken, but duct taped together as I have it, it works fine.

The tension is wonky; it needs a professional cleaning and adjustment, but is in good, basic working order. (And in far better condition than the Singer 235 that we gave to GoodWill.) I've used this machine before in a pattern making class and was thrilled with the way it worked. Between my Mom and me, though, we have 6 machines, so I really can't rationalize spending $50 to fix up a machine I don't need. For someone who actually needs/wants a machine, though, I would say this is well worth fixing up.

Give me a holler if you're interested!
#65 of 95 Old 07-26-2006, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not interested in the entire machine, but I am interested in the silver stitch selector knob on top. I have a 1301 and my stitch selector knob is broken. Can we work something out so I can get the knob. I was drooling when I saw it.

#66 of 95 Old 07-29-2006, 10:18 PM

I have my mom's 'vintage' Husqvarna Viking 6000 SL 6460 'Embroidery Sewing' Machine. It's solid metal and came with the sewing cabinet which was really convenient for storing accessories (cams and such). I've used it for years now, but still have a 'thing' about trying out all the cams for the different stitches! They make me nervous! In my defense, they used to stick pretty badly and I was scared I jam or break something using them. Then I had it professionally serviced and they seem to move super easy now, and the technician had some nice designs he put on the sample cloth for me showing me how easily they worked now! But I still am a bit 'twitchy'. I am making some diapers for my latest baby, due in November, perhaps I should make some cute border details and just 'get over it!'

I have a 1986? (not quite vintage, but solid metal and a 'workhorse' type machine) Babylock BL4-428 Serger that I got for $100, and it came with a large bag of serging thread and several additional books on serging. It would 'freeze up' after about 15 minutes of serging, but once I had it serviced, it's running like a dream! Made like 30 cloth wipes with the cutest border on them!

Recently bought a Singer Quantumlock (14T967DC) Serger, as it's 5 cones and has extra feet and goodies for doing special stuff. I've only had it a few days and am learning a few new stitches at a time, so as not to overwhelm myself....took a full day to make sure I threaded it right! It handles nice though and I LOVE the triple cover stitch for doing detail work.

I WISH I had my mom's old knee pumped (treadle?) Singer from the early 1900s, but she gave it to my aunt... Would be nice to sew fast with no electricity!

Have had several others handed down to me, that I ended up giving away to my other sisters. (Glad I kept the Viking though )
#67 of 95 Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

I had a viking 6460 that I sold it though...they are very nice. I didn't have the cams, but I have the cams for both my singers and kenmore and they are so cool. I can't believe that a bit of plastic cut a certain way will create a cool pattern. Anywho...I hope you enjoy your serger. I'm just getting into serging. I'm making diapers for my dd. I get nervous with how fast the serger goes.

#68 of 95 Old 07-31-2006, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have my grandmother's Singer from the 1930's. I even used it to make my wedding dress! It goes forward and that is about it, but I love havig it. AT some point the plate got lost which makes it unusable. Whre cuold I try to find a replacement for it?

I also have a Kenmore - I bought it a few years ago when the big thrill for me was that it could od rverse, buttonholes and zigzag Definite step up form the old Singer.

If money was no object - I would get the best free motion quilting machine I could find. I have been dreaming of the Janome 6600 professional - but that will likely remain a dream. I would love to use the embroidery stiches to make crazy quilts.
#69 of 95 Old 07-31-2006, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Try this link to the vintage singer yahoo group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintag...guid=167593287

Someone on there will have one or know where you can get one. You have to join, but you'll learn a ton about your grandmothers machine and get every part for it you could ever want.
Happy Sewing!

#70 of 95 Old 08-01-2006, 02:34 PM

I have a Viking Designer one with the embroidery unit. I love it but it is a little over the top. Also have a Huskylock 905. I would love to get a Babylock Evolve serger - jet aire threading
#71 of 95 Old 08-18-2006, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Adding to my ever growing collection...I added a singer 401 this week I don't have the foot pedal or power cord yet, but I'll stalk ebay for awhile and post on the yahoo groups and they're bound to show up sooner or later!

#72 of 95 Old 09-02-2006, 11:25 PM

i have a bernina 930 which is awesome....and i just got a janome 300e machine which is still in the box but i'm itching to break out!
#73 of 95 Old 09-02-2006, 11:29 PM

I just bought my first: a Janome Decor 3050. It freaking rocks. I am so in LURVE!

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#74 of 95 Old 09-04-2006, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomebirths
i have a bernina 930 which is awesome....and i just got a janome 300e machine which is still in the box but i'm itching to break out!
I'm so jealous. A bernina 930 is one of "those" machine that is known to be a must have and a star in the sewing world. I want one!!!

#75 of 95 Old 09-04-2006, 10:50 PM

I am so amazed that so many of you have MULTIPLE machines! I just bought my first machine - a Singer 500. It's probably the most basic machine ever, it only has five stitches, but it does what I need it to do.

I chose it because it was really simple, and I had never used a machine before, and because it it very solid with all metal parts. I used to work in a theatre (plays, not movies) that made its own costumes, and when I asked the workers in the costume shop what they would suggest, they told me to get a machine with metal parts. It will last longer. They also told me not to get a machine less than $600, but I didn't listen to that part....

I don't know what my dream machine would be, but I do want a serger. However, I can't get a serger until I get a sewing room, so that is part of my dream as well!
#76 of 95 Old 09-13-2006, 04:46 PM

I have the singer quantum futura, which I LOVE. It sews great, and the embroidery options are fun and easy to use
#77 of 95 Old 09-13-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinok
I have the singer quantum futura, which I LOVE. It sews great, and the embroidery options are fun and easy to use
You know I'm glad to hear that. You hear so much negative about brands that aren't Bernina/Viking/Pfaff but I think each manufacturer has moved from using all metal to less expensive plastic in some components of their machines. Most machines, even the "swiss, german and swedish" ones are all have some components made in Taiwan or China. That doesn't mean it's crap. No modern home machines are all metal, it's just not practical, but you can still find a great machine out there. Singer had a long history of making awesome machines. The first machine I ever sewed on was a singer, it was a bit wonky...but it got the job done. Most importantly it made me love to sew. All right stepping off my soap box

#78 of 95 Old 09-13-2006, 08:36 PM

I have a 1950 Singer...and it is a workhorse of a machine! I love her! LOL!! I actually learned to sew on my grandmother's 1920's treadle machine...I actually miss it - I loved working the treadle and the control I got from it.
#79 of 95 Old 09-13-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat
Most machines, even the "swiss, german and swedish" ones are all have some components made in Taiwan or China. That doesn't mean it's crap. No modern home machines are all metal, it's just not practical, but you can still find a great machine out there.
I guess I don't understand why it's not practical to make a modern machine out of metal. The computerized ones, yes, but why can't I get a basic, metal machine? One that goes straight and does zig-zag? That's all I want *beats head against wall* (I suppose the answer is because plastic is cheaper. If they made them metal, there wouldn't be the same profit and they'd have to jack up the price so much no one would buy them.)

And that is why I will NEVER get rid of my grandma's 1950s Singer!
#80 of 95 Old 09-17-2006, 11:49 PM

Joining late. I've got my Huskystar 217 (which I think is made by Janome for Husqvarna). It's a great workhorse. I just couldn't afford something more expensive when I started. I also just bought a Janome serger for some basic rolled hem type projects that I just got tired of doing the old fashioned way on the straight stitch machine.
#81 of 95 Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFashionedGirl
I guess I don't understand why it's not practical to make a modern machine out of metal.
It's practical it's just apparently not cost effective. I agree w/you though which is why whenver someone mentions wanting to get into sewing I recommend they get a vintage machine and I too will NEVER give up my singer!

#82 of 95 Old 09-20-2006, 10:50 AM

I have a 1971 Singer. It is pretty complicated for being so ancient.
I have 30 stiches and can do leather and denim. There are a bunch of attachments, including a quilters bar. It is attached to it's own gigantic piece of ugly 70's cabinet. blech! but as far as storage it's cool.

I love the machine - although it is in desperate need of a MAJOR tune-up (last was 1986).

I have this machine because my mom gave it to me when I moved to San Antonio. I used to go over her house and use it all the time - but now i live 150 miles away. Not so easy a trip now.

This machine was a gift to my mom form her much loved step mother when she was 11.

My mom and I used to share a Brothers serger and a Brothers computerized embroidery sewing machine that we went halvies on.
But we pawned them both when my dad walked out on my mom while she was giving birth toi my youngest brother and we had to buy groceries and such.
man I miss those machines.... there is sooooo much I can't do now that I don;t have them.
#83 of 95 Old 09-22-2006, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryknowlicious View Post
I have a 1971 Singer. It is pretty complicated for being so ancient.
I have 30 stiches and can do leather and denim. There are a bunch of attachments, including a quilters bar. It is attached to it's own gigantic piece of ugly 70's cabinet. blech! but as far as storage it's cool.

I love the machine - although it is in desperate need of a MAJOR tune-up (last was 1986).

I have this machine because my mom gave it to me when I moved to San Antonio. I used to go over her house and use it all the time - but now i live 150 miles away. Not so easy a trip now.

This machine was a gift to my mom form her much loved step mother when she was 11.

My mom and I used to share a Brothers serger and a Brothers computerized embroidery sewing machine that we went halvies on.
But we pawned them both when my dad walked out on my mom while she was giving birth toi my youngest brother and we had to buy groceries and such.
man I miss those machines.... there is sooooo much I can't do now that I don;t have them.

If you check out the "Wefixit" group on yahoo or the vintagesinger list on there they can help you tune up your machine yourself. It's really not that hard.

#84 of 95 Old 09-25-2006, 07:05 PM

My main machine is a Viking Designer 1. I love it! It sews very smoothly and I've had no troubles with it. Its also an embroidery machine, which I do alot of. (I also digitize, but havent since DD was born).
I have a few vintage Singers in the cabinets, one is a treadle.
My Kenmore machine is about 10 years old, but I only use that as a backup if I'm doing embroidery at the time and need to sew. (Craft fair time and the Holidays!!!)
My serger is a White 1600. Its very basic, but works well for me. I havent had it in the shop yet and I've had it about 10 years, too.

I've hardly had any time to sew since DD was born. I miss it so much! I know that in the blink of an eye I'll be sewing her wedding gown or clothes for *her* kids, so I try not to worry about not sewing right now

My next project will be her Christmas dress. Maybe if I start now I'll have enough time to finish in time! LOL
#85 of 95 Old 09-26-2006, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Lucky Lady w/the Viking! Maybe you'll get back to sewing soon. I don't have a lot of time to sew either, usually just a couple hours a week. But the time I do, I enjoy it. Here's hoping you get back to it very soon!

#86 of 95 Old 10-01-2006, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I now have a Singer 9400 and it is a GEM to use! I love the decorative stitches, and quilting with it is a breeze. Fast too! And I think the needle threader is going to save my eyesight over the years I did some machine applique the other day and I was thrilled with the results.
#87 of 95 Old 10-03-2006, 06:09 PM

I have an ollllllld Singer treadle (? sp?) machine that I got from my grandmother....it needs a tune up and some new wiring, but other than that, I've been told it still works. Should I keep it and fix it or buy a newer mechanical machine?

I SO want to sew, but haven't used a machine since I was a kid and I don't have a clue where to begin in buying one.

ANY help would be soooo appreciated! thanks...
#88 of 95 Old 10-04-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylas mama View Post
I have an ollllllld Singer treadle (? sp?) machine that I got from my grandmother....it needs a tune up and some new wiring, but other than that, I've been told it still works. Should I keep it and fix it or buy a newer mechanical machine?

I SO want to sew, but haven't used a machine since I was a kid and I don't have a clue where to begin in buying one.

ANY help would be soooo appreciated! thanks...
If you're on the fence about how much you might sew. I'd start by seeing if I could freecycle a machine. Even if it needs a tuneup at $50 (avg. rate) you're still probably going to end up with a decent machine. Also garage sales are great places to find hidden gems. You can always upgrade later. Good luck shopping.

#89 of 95 Old 10-04-2006, 04:00 PM

I agree with the pp. If you're not sure about sewing, it's probably not worth it at this point to fix up the treadle. That's not to say get rid of it, though! From what I understand, using a treadle machine is a task in and of itself, w/o learning to sew at the same time (kinda like learning to drive on a stick shift, I would imagine).

Watch craigslist, freecycle, rummage sales, thrift stores, etc, for a used machine. I'd even suggest going to your local sewing machine repair-shop; a lot of times they'll have older machines that they've gotten as trade-ins. Learn on that. Once you've got the basics of sewing under your belt, and you're sure that this is something you want to persue, THEN get the treadle machine fixed up.

(I guess if you have the money and the inclination, there's not reason not to get the treadle fixed up now. I just wouldn't necessarily recommend getting it fixed up so you can use it to learn how to sew.)

Hope that makes sense!
#90 of 95 Old 04-21-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalena View Post
I have a brother innovis NX400Q. It was my dream machine, so I'm happy as a pig in mud with it.

My serger is a husquvarna 905. I looked at a bernina while serger shopping and would have rathered that, but didn't have the $ at the time.
I found this thread on a google search!! I'm seriously considering buying this exact machine....I found a local dealer with this discontinued machine in stock. Do you still love the machine? How much do you use it...is it holding up?? Thanks!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page